Parrothead

Here is a good Power Converter I found online.

Parrothead

Kenny reminded me of a converter software that I have had on my computers since about 2005.

Here it is:

convert.zip

Sateev

Just took an online Google Search class. For most conversions search for "[number] [units] in [alternate units]", like "1000 watts in megajoules per hour" or "7.5 US gallons in liters" (no quotes)

Works like a big dog! (That means good).

Edited by Sateev

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• TorJay
      By TorJay
      ‘SolarTuk’ coming in March Mon, 23 September 2013 Daniel de Carteret  

and Hor Kimsay

Solar-powered tuk-tuks could be rolling off the assembly lines in Phnom Penh as early as March next year, allowing local tuk-tuk drivers a cost-effective and greener alternative to using petrol, according to the company manufacturing the vehicle.

Star 8, the Australia-based alternative energy firm behind the ‘SolarTuk’, is building a factory with a local partner in Dangkor district on the western outskirts of the city.

The firms managing director Jacob Maimon expects to hire 200 to 300 local staff once production goes live.

Read more:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/%E2%80%98solartuk%E2%80%99-coming-march

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I think, on a personal level, I am going to start trying to get solar systems set up for Khmers who may want / need them. I hate going up and down the road at the farm, knowing that, every night my family has power, while others are sitting in the dark. 

I am currently in negotiations with a company to build a solar controller that will be reliable, yet much cheaper than your average controller offered by companies here. The controller would be manufactured in the USA. My first PWM controller here was $250 USD! This controller should easily come in under $100 USD, and will be customized for this project. It would still be a 20a to 30a controller, offering a 10a load circuit. It will be enclosed for the environment of Cambodia as well. So, it could even be mounted outside, if necessary.

EDIT: July 28, 2018 - Some MorningStar SL-10L-12v SunLight Solar Charge Controllers were donated to me a while back, specifically for this project. So, I will be going with them, rather than the previous controllers I was considering.

I am going to try to get a solar module (panel) manufacturer on board as well, Just Solar. If I can do that, the only significant cost then will be the batteries. 

So far, my plan is to include the following in one package price: 

PV  Panel Parts
      1 - 100 watts 12vdc PV Module
      1 - 1.5" angle iron mount (could go with aluminum here if cheaper)
      1 - Assorted hardware for mounting the panel

PV Panel to Controller Parts
      3 - meters two conductor #10 wire
      1 - Assorted hardware to secure the wire against the building

Battery to Controller Parts
      1 - MorningStar SL-10L-12v SunLight Solar Charge Controller
      1 - 10a 12vdc fuse / breaker 1.5 meters red #6 awg wire
      1.5 meters black #6 awg wire
      1 - Assorted hardware to mount the controller and secure wiring against the wall

Controller to Loads Parts
      1 - 12vdc - 50ah Deep Cycle Battery
      2 - Brass Battery Bus Bars (to attach loads)
      1 - 10a 12vdc fuse / breaker
      1.5 meters red #12 awg wire
      1.5 meters black #12 awg wire
      1 - Assorted hardware to mount the bus bars and attach the wiring against the wall 
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Some recent talk in the Black Soldier Fly threads, regarding the larvae consuming manure got me thinking about the possibility of producing my own methane, to run a generator at the farm. Free fuel would be nice. Power cost would be as cheap as chips, because of it. 

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with methane or bio-gas production, to run motors / generators.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      This is between an off-grid project and a mains electrical project. So, I wasn't really sure where I should post it. The Mains, Solar, Wind & Hydroelectric Power forum won.

So, it just so happens that I have 3 - 100 watts panels sitting around collecting dust, and not producing a single watt of power. I also have 135 watts panels doing the same. So, I need to come up with a little project for them. Anyway, the 100 watts panels project, for now.

I am going to buy a (cheap Chinese made) 6oo watts grid-tied inverter. I will then connect the 3 - 100 watts panels in parallel, directly to the inverter. Then, I will plug the inverter directly into a mains power point (wall receptacle). That will sync with the mains and start pumping up to 300 watts directly into the electric veins of the farm, depending on the amount of sun they receive, of course. This will help alleviate some of the power needed from the mains to run the farm. 

Anyway, these inverters run between about $82 USD to $120 USD, each. That would buy you a 500 watts, up to a 1000 watts grid-tied inverter. 

The reason behind powering a 600 watts grid-tied inverter with only 300 watts of panels, is so as not to overdrive it and possibly cause it to fail, catch fire, etc. The last thing you want to do, is to overdrive a cheaply made inverter, or any inverter for that matter. Besides, you can always buy another inverter, and three more panels to connect to it, then plug it into the mains. The second inverter will sync with the first, as well as the mains voltage. 

Also, when you experience a mains power failure, these inverters will automatically shut down in order to protect anyone who may be working on the cables. You certainly don't want to be responsible for someone getting electrocuted. I know I don't. Once power is restored, they will come on line again.

Anyway, as soon as I get around to ordering one of these, and receive it, I will give you good folks an update on this little project. If this works out okay, I will definitely expand the system so as to reduce our power bill even more, each month. 

SUMMARY: A grid tied system can help you kill your power bill, by back feeding power into the mains. It is as simple as installing an array of solar panels, connecting them to a grid-tied inverter, and connecting the grid-tied inverter to your mains power in your home. 

• Primoris Co Ltd
      By Primoris Co Ltd
      Bargain for Quick Sale:

Cummins Silent Generator 175 kva 

KW: 140
      Voltage: 380
      AMPS: 265.9
      Phase: 3
      Year: 2008
      Speed: 1500 r/min
      Engine Model: 6CTA8-3-G2

Ideal for Guest House, School, Hotel or business.

Only used for one year showing 500 hours. 
      Owned by westerners.
      Excellent Condition.

New $25,000. Looking for $9,000 or Best Offer
      For Viewing call 0888828821 or 0883959563

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.