SydneyTravels

Sad news for me

SydneyTravels

Hello everyone,

Part of the reason I was so excited about Cambodia is that I have some health issues (not life threatening) that would benefit from sun and a slower pace of life. Well, I had my money saved and was paring down my possessions when I got the news. The aforementioned illness has flared up to the point that the doctor does not know when I will be safe somewhere without Western standard hospitals. Additionally, the treatments I am using are eating into my savings slowly, but surely.

The upside is that I can continue learning about the country and language. And, the doctor said I should be lucky enough to not get permanent scarring. 

Thank you to everyone for being so kind. I hope to continue visiting this site and taking advantage of your experiences.

Parrothead

Sydney, the Philippines has pretty good hospitals. I would go to several of the ones in Cebu City, as well as South General Hospital, located in Naga, Cebu, south of Cebu City. Please feel free to check out the sister forum to this site - Living in Cebu Forums, for further information.

SydneyTravels

I will definitely check that out! The issue isn't with flying, it's with the continued care. I have a friend from Cebu and never thought to ask him about it. Thank you for the link :)

Parrothead

I will definitely check that out! The issue isn't with flying, it's with the continued care. I have a friend from Cebu and never thought to ask him about it. Thank you for the link :)

Yeah, I understood. That's why I offered the suggestion. The Philippines offers much better medical care than here in Cambodia.

However, you may not be nearly as happy with the visa situation. It can be a pain in the butt there.

Edited by Paul

phuketrichard

excellent medical care in Thailand at affordable prices.( compared to the west)

in fact, when someone in Cambodia gets sick, ( Cambodians and Barangs) an they can afford the flight, there off to Bangkok ( even bus )

If ur over 50, visa is not that much trouble as long as ur not broke or have some sort of pension/income that can be documented.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

SydneyTravels

Unfortunately, I am under 50 and dead broke most of the time. It sounds like my option are wait it out (which might not be too bad) or look further into Cebu. Time to start research!

Parrothead

Sydney, if you join the Cebu Forum under a different user name, let me know. I will give you immediate full access to it.

phuketrichard

or go to school apx 28,000 baht/year for 200 hours of class which also gets u an ed 1 year visa/extension

There are "under the table options" for apx 25,000 baht/year for a 1 year visa

SydneyTravels

That is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I love learning and that would be a great way to meet people with the same interests. Thanks for the tip.

Parrothead

Richard, you are missing something here. She said she does not have a huge budget. Unfortunately, cost of living is much higher in Thailand, than in the Philippines or Cambodia, even if she does sort a visa out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• andy
      By andy
      I took a short trip to Bangkok (Friday to Monday). Passing through the Koh Kong boarder point (Cham Yeam - Hat Lek). No problems on both sides. But now if you hold a Cambodian E-visa in your passport, you can only obtain two Thai monthly entry stamps via land crossings for the duration of your twelve month visa.
      When you enter Thailand, walk down the left hand side of the street for around 200 yards, you will find mini buses going to Trat. 120Baht. The mini bus will leave when full. So maybe a little wait.
      Then the arrival at Trat bus station, there are large and mini buses leaving to Bangkok (Ekkamai) every hour.
      I took the large bus departing 220Baht. 6 hours. Returning the buses run the same every hour. I took the mini bus 5 hours 250Baht.   
    • luvthai2003
      By luvthai2003
      I have a CAT scan next week on the 25th. I've got fingers crossed that I'll receive a clean bill of health so I can return to my retirement in a place I love deeply, Southeast Asia. I've been on the mend for over two years after being whacked by an aortic dissection and aneurysm simultaneously. I'm just happy and fortunate to be alive.

Anyway, last time I was retired in the Phils. I was living in Caticlan, Panay - The Gateway To Boracay. I was the caretaker for my friends' new resort. This time it will be Cambodia. Originally, I was planning on living in Sihanoukville, but there's apparently a police crackdown on the happy pizza parlors, etc. Yes, I do. I'm on VA disability for a number of issues, including a lot of pain. It helps tremendously. If PP doesn't work out, I'm heading back to Nepal and some sleepy little town in the Kathmandu Valley. I spent over a decade living in various parts of Asia, including Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. Miss Asia big time. Im sure you guys understand.
    • TorJay
      By TorJay
      New air route aims to cut travel times, fuel costs
        Mon, 8 June 2015 Chan Muyhong  
      Cambodia will use a new air route for flights to Laos, Thailand and Vietnam that will reduce fuel costs and provide a more direct route to these countries reducing air time for these flights, according to the State Secretariat for Civil Aviation.

The agreement was signed in Siem Reap last week after multilateral meetings between the involved countries, said Sin Chansereyvutha, spokesperson of State Secretariat for Civil Aviation (SSCA).

“The new route allows airlines to fly at an altitude of 11 kilometres with two lanes for airlines to fly back and forth at the same time. The new route will also make flight distances closer, cutting down fuel cost, saving time compared to the old route,†he said.

Chansereyvutha said the old route was only one way and needed airlines to wait to take off or land. He added that the agreement involved two provinces in China as well and would be expanded to other ASEAN members, thereby increasing connectivity to European destinations.

“It benefits the aviation industry in each country. It is also a requirement of the International Civil Aviation Organization – for members to make use of technology available to reduce cost and save the environment,†he added.

Ang Kim Eang, president of the Cambodian Association of Travel Agents, said the agreement will encourage more tourists to travel to and from these countries.

“When cost is cut down, airlines will reduce fees and travel agencies will do more to promote tour packages. Tourists will come to Cambodia because airfare will be cheaper and travel times will be reduced,†he said.

Cambodia saw 1.3 million tourists from Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and Thailand in 2014 – a 10 per cent drop from a year earlier – according to data from the Ministry of Tourism.

Source:  http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/new-air-route-aims-cut-travel-times-fuel-costs
    • Wiley54
      By Wiley54
      I'll be arriving in Bangkok at 11:45 pm on June 12. Looking for an inexpensive room in Bangkok for one or two days. Any suggestions about flights Bangkok to Phnom Penh? And also any suggestions for a two week stay in Phnom Penh?  During those two weeks I'll be looking to rent an apartment or studio for 3 to 6 months.
        My Dr. is very concerned about malaria and has me taking doxycycline on a daily basis starting two days before arrival. What is the forum view about malaria? I'm not asking for medical advice, just input on individuals experiences. DEET, mosquito netting, indoors a dawn and/or dusk, long pants, long shirts and stay away from low lying arias, second floor v first floor.
       Thank you

• c813
      By c813
      Hello All,

I am visiting Cambodia soon and am interested in finding out more about Alternative health available in Cambodia for both general interest and for a ongoing health problem.  
      If anyone has some tips of Practitioners/Healers I would be grateful for any information that you could pass on about them.  

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance,

Conor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.