Parrothead

Attn: jimmyboy (Arsenic Levels In Ground Water)

Parrothead

you cant use it to grow things- a lot of SEA rice has high arsenic levels- it is dissolved in the water so filters wont work.

seems to be in anaerobic strata in swampy riverine country that floods concentrated in the areas along the flood plains if that make sense

I just read over your previous post (above) again, and noticed this. 

Are you saying that you cannot filter out Arsenic from drinking water? 

I'm a bit confused regarding this, now. 

:link:

Guest Kenny

Paul, I don't think mechanical filtration is going to remove anything dissolved in water.

However, chemical filtration as in charcoal might.

Google "arsenic filtration" and you'll find quite a bit on American sited.

johnny lightning

Charcoal is best for organic compounds. Arsenic may require some sort of ion exchange technology. Good luck finding that anywhere in Cambodia.

Johnny

Parrothead

Paul, I don't think mechanical filtration is going to remove anything dissolved in water.

However, chemical filtration as in charcoal might.

Google "arsenic filtration" and you'll find quite a bit on American sited.

I am certainly not voiced in chemicals in groundwater, anywhere in the world. However, I know I do not wish to ingest any of these chemicals, for sure. I have found a number of suppliers who can ship over whole house type filters for me. I just have to decide which one would be best for my particular situation. I am also still sourcing a 12vdc UV lght to add to the filtration system. I am putting off, as long as possible, adding AC voltage to the array. The more I can run off DC, the better, in my opinion. 

Charcoal is best for organic compounds. Arsenic may require some sort of ion exchange technology. Good luck finding that anywhere in Cambodia.

Johnny

Most definitely, JL. I am not even looking locally for any of this, including the water pump. I will have 100% of these items imported, along with spare filters, parts, etc.

jimmyboy

cannot be filtered, and current technology has no small scale low cost solutions for removal that i can find- numerous scientists are trying to find a solution.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Okay. Thanks. Well, I will just go ahead and have the water tested when I return to the farm next week. I will just hope for the best. If not, worst case, I will have to add more m2 of metal roofing to catch a higher volume of water.

jimmyboy

result of test?

Parrothead

Haven't gotten to it, yet. Too much time, and too many kilometers regarding moving. Now that we are up here full time - Battambang, I can focus on the farm and, hopefully, get things done a bit faster. Being 30 kilometers away, versus being several hundred kilometers away, will make a huge difference. 

I will let you know, as soon as the water has been tested. 

Someone here told me the well driller will test the water. I told him that AFTER the well has been drilled is just a bit too late. I will test the other ones nearby, first. 

Parrothead

James, I was reading something about rainwater just a few moments ago. Something came to mind. 

Considering the family have been drinking this water for years, at the farm, would you think a simple charcoal filter, or, perhaps a sand filter would be all I would need for it, for my personal use? For consumption, I will be drinking bottled water from 20 liter bottles. Of course, I am sure a small amount would be ingested during showers, and while brushing teeth. Otherwise, I would think it would be pretty well harmless. Would you agree with that observation? 

I'm not even sure it is necessary to have rainwater tested. Do you? 

jimmyboy

yes

you will be fine with rainwater esp if filtered.

no, you don't have to test it.