Parrothead

Sun Calculator: Calculate the Sun's position throughout the year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I was reading another topic just a moment ago from another forum. It was one from earlier this year where members were discussing solar arrays. It reminded me of some information I have been seeking. I don't recall where I found the video. Perhaps posted by another member? I don't know. I search so frequently for things, I tend to forget where I started anyway, once I have found them. 

Anyway, here is the video: 
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgq6-DA-iws

The guy sells these complete systems (eBay homecsp YouTube: HomeCSP) for what I would consider reasonable costs. The trackers use power directly from the panels. But, the savings you get with a single tracker may not be worth the added cost. Not 100% sure of the savings using a dual axis tracker. But, I am pretty sure it would be considerably higher.

Either way, to make up for the "loss" you would have using a static array, as apposed to an array and tracking system, you may as well add another 20% to 30% more panels to make up for the difference. After all, you will not only have the cost of the tracker(s). You will also have the cost of the mount, the brackets, the installation costs, the maintenance of the tracking system over time, etc. I am just not sure the cost justifies the difference in the watt hours gained throughout the day, by using a tracking system. But, they are neat as hell to watch, especially large array trackers!

With that said, I still want to try this down the road, at least using single axis tracker. It would be neat to watch it follow the sun across the sky, as well as calculating the actual watt hours gained. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.