Parrothead

Farm Fotos II

Parrothead

Photos taken 25 / December & 26 / December

(I corrected the date on the camera, just a few minutes ago. I have no idea how long it has been off by one day.)

Being too excited to get the pump connected in order to test it, I used a temporary connection to see how it performed.

IMG_0299.jpg

There is something to be said about producing your own power.

That is, power that is clean, reliable, and doesn't harm the environment.

That is, power more stable than what the national grid would provide.

That is, power that isn't a noisy generator running in the back ground.

That is, if they had mains coming within 5 kilometers of your home.

IMG_0300r.jpg

The septic tank, having been dug too close to the foundation of the extension of the house, is finally being worked on.

Four of those concrete rings, at a whopping $7.50c US each, will be placed on top of each other in the hole.

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

When they finish, this hole will have four concrete rings in it, all cemented together.

The total capacity of all four rings will be 5260 liters (~1,389.50 US gallons).

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Yeah, it looks like the city has us in their grasp. But, I ran this in line to keep track of our own water usage.

I will be adding an electric meter soon, that will track our usage in kilowatt hours as well.

IMG_0306.jpg

New additions to the family. Six new pups were born not long ago. Five males, one female, in the litter.

This is the first time I had an opportunity to see the little guys.

IMG_0315.jpg

One of the two male dogs making sure the other residents don't partake of his lunch.

IMG_0316.jpg

This wouldn't be complete, without the "in-house mousers" on staff. Both kittens were "inherited.

The calico female came by herself. The little male, apparently, was abandoned by its mother.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Parrothead

IMG_0324.jpg

Can anyone tell me if diatomaceous earth would stop the bare spots on the chickens?

I see them scratching themselves in various spots, frequently. I was thinking it may be mites of some sort?

The ducks and chickens "bunk" together. But, I only see this on the chickens.

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

• Like 1

jimmyboy

Paul- that naked neck and head is a genetic adaptation to hot environments. It is quite a successful characteristic and can be found right through the malay world.

As to the mites- almost certainly- give them wood ash to dust in: 

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/natural-way-to-rid-chickens-of-lice.html

looks like you are going to have a real groovy little permaculture garden there.

Cows are for garden manure, not money. they eat grass that you do not own and bring that fertility back home at night as a nitrogen and phosphorous import that is the basis of horticulture- cattle are risky but you should be able to get a heifer in calf for less than $300 - i would buy 4 and pay a boy to look after them- and find out where to cut switches to use on the boy when he derelicts. if you are serous about small farming cows are really indespensible because of the fertilzer.

I believe there is a lot of scope to improve the very thrifty malay game type chicken by selective breeding and improved housing and feeding of farm sourced rations.

You definitely want to put pigeon peas in the ground asap- perennial, falls off the bush for the chickens, productive through drought and good food for people and stock. nitrogen fixer too- works well along fences and boundaries.

You can grow a surprising amount of stock food on a small place and certainly the animals you grow are the apex of food production on a small farm. Even papaya with the seeds is a near complete chicken ration although a little luxurious!

What the khmer lack is expertise in horticulture and animal husbandry- master these and i think you will have a lot to offer your community.

The little white chicken with the blue black rose comb and the stumpy legs is a chinese purebreed, grown in village conditions, but fed up and worth more money for chinese people- i would look closely at this breed.

You will find it in Battambang markets.

Edited by jimmyboy
  • Like 2

dicey eye

Well, I see ya got a start on a chicken farm, a fledgling p*ssy farm, a bow0wow brigade, but where are the water buffalo, the pigs, the sheep and the rabbits? 

Come on Farmer Cebu, go full bore, no p*ssy-footing around.. 

jimmyboy

Chicken Farm has always been a worthy retirement ambition as head rooster.

Man's gotta eat- may as well be chicken and pig.

Okra does well too in Cambodia.

Vietnam produces a lot of appliances for small farms- grist mills, incubators etc.

He mought be like an new Amish polygamistic innovator.

Them Mormons have the Bee as their emblem.

Their big guy was Joe Smith ya know.

Seems Legit.

Edited by jimmyboy

jimmyboy

where is the double dog damned update?

i am jonesin to see teh next progress report!

• Like 1

dicey eye

Not-quite Old Cebu had a farm, ee-ii, ee-ii ooohhh,

And on that farm he had a solar electric system, ee-ii, ee-ii ooohhh

With a solar panel here and a solar panel there, ee-ii, ee-ii ooohhh

lyrics to be continued........

• Like 1

Parrothead

where is the double dog damned update?

i am jonesin to see teh next progress report!

Sorry. I didn't see these posts until today.

Paul- that naked neck and head is a genetic adaptation to hot environments. It is quite a successful characteristic and can be found right through the malay world.

As to the mites- almost certainly- give them wood ash to dust in: 

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/natural-way-to-rid-chickens-of-lice.html

looks like you are going to have a real groovy little permaculture garden there.

Cows are for garden manure, not money. they eat grass that you do not own and bring that fertility back home at night as a nitrogen and phosphorous import that is the basis of horticulture- cattle are risky but you should be able to get a heifer in calf for less than $300 - i would buy 4 and pay a boy to look after them- and find out where to cut switches to use on the boy when he derelicts. if you are serous about small farming cows are really indespensible because of the fertilzer.

I believe there is a lot of scope to improve the very thrifty malay game type chicken by selective breeding and improved housing and feeding of farm sourced rations.

You definitely want to put pigeon peas in the ground asap- perennial, falls off the bush for the chickens, productive through drought and good food for people and stock. nitrogen fixer too- works well along fences and boundaries.

You can grow a surprising amount of stock food on a small place and certainly the animals you grow are the apex of food production on a small farm. Even papaya with the seeds is a near complete chicken ration although a little luxurious!

What the khmer lack is expertise in horticulture and animal husbandry- master these and i think you will have a lot to offer your community.

The little white chicken with the blue black rose comb and the stumpy legs is a chinese purebreed, grown in village conditions, but fed up and worth more money for chinese people- i would look closely at this breed.

You will find it in Battambang markets.

I have a lot to learn for sure. I can't tell one chicken from another, except by color.

I know how many I will probably put in each hen house, though. I figure about six hens to one rooster. I will build three, MAYBE four (laying) boxes, and give them ample room to roost. The roof will be about 183 cm high, at its lowest side, probably 61 cm higher on the opposite side. Each hen house will be 122 cm deep by 183 cm across. I will have a 1 meter walk way down the length of the hen houses. (That will give it about a 2" / 12" pitch for the roof. Should be plenty for run off.)

It will look something like this, except longer (with 4 more chicken houses down each side.) 

chicken_house.jpg

The walk way in the middle of the houses will be for servicing. I figure I will try to make about seven of these down each side. Then, I will stock them with six hens and one rooster in each house. Roughly 100 chickens is what I will need, all in all. Maybe put a shed style roof on it, rather than going with a gable? With that many chicken houses, it should run about 13 meters long. 

13 meters (length of entire structure) x 3.5 meters (width of structure) = 45.5 square meters. (Maybe it won't cover as much area as the house roof does. I thought it would, initially.)

-------------

She (Chan) mentioned that she wants some cows. But, money is too tight at the moment. We are going to have to do this one project at a time. I am just not sure which order these things should be done in. I am trying to make the right decisions as to which way to go.

Edited by Paul

Guest Kenny

I figure about six hens to one rooster.

Why a rooster?

Do you need fertile eggs for hatching? Or balute?

You'll get more eggs without the rooster.

Parrothead

I want to increase the numbers of chickens first, and then eggs.

• Like 1