Parrothead

About mid November, I posted where my laptop had taken a swim when I was at the farm. Here is the thread regarding that.

Anyway, I have been wanting to take a moment to show what happens when you are really lucky, after such an event. 

Here is the monitor just after its swimming lesson:

IMG_0119.jpg

Here is an image of the laptop display a few minutes ago:

IMG_0504.jpg

It dried out, with little physical damage to the display. 

• Like 3

worldadventurephoto

That's pretty remarkable.  You had something in your favor with that mishap, Chan's handy towel being one of them!

Parrothead

Yep. Twas amazin', it was.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      We were headed up to the farm yesterday (Monday) to meet with the contractor. It's time to start building the (pressurized) toilet (including a bum gun for yours truly). We are also adding a roof over the front, later to include a porch area of 5 meters by 2.5 meters.

As I am sure many here may already know, we are just getting past some major rains, in turn major flooding - throughout Cambodia. Battambang is no exception.

It just so happens that the farm has a minor glitch during rainy season. You see, there is this dyke that, when the rains are right, turns into the Mississippi River. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a bit. But, this dyke does fill for part of the year. Just now, as we are nearing the end of this years rainy season, it happens to be dropping. In fact, it had dropped quite a bit, until recent rains filled its thirsty gullet again. Anyway, we have to cross this every time we go to the farm. (Yes, another project for the future. House first, though. Proper crossing later.)

Anyway, there was - yes, friend and neighbors - was a little bridge that I have crossed dozens of times. It spanned much of this dyke. By much, I mean you could use the bridge as long as the dyke had no more than about one-third of the water capacity in it. After the one-third mark, well, you might as well pull out the ol' swimmers and sun tan lotion.

So, we arrived yesterday morning, oh, about half nine or so, to meet the guy. He is also the one who helped us sort the rainwater harvesting system, by the way.  We took a tuk tuk out ($12 bucks for all day, including waiting) for the first time. We arrive. I got out of the tuk tuk - computer in hand. Fortunately for me, nothing was in my pockets. 

I walked down into the dyke, and began crossing the little bridge. When I got a bit past the half way point, two timbers collapsed, me on top of them, into the water. I was completely submerged. The laptop was completely submerged, although for only a brief moment. I had not leg go of the laptop bag, and immediately raised my hand from the water.

I handed it to Chan, who immediately got a towel (where she got that from, I had no idea) and began wiping it off. I had her hand back to me, as soon as I finished my (involuntary) swim. I'm still not sure how much water got on, or into it.

Later that day, I posted on our super private, special members only, Facebook group, as it was the only thing I could log into, via Chan's super duper smart phone. Richard posted a very helpful reply. Fortunately, most of what was offered on the webpage for assistance, I had already done, immediately after the machine was dunked. I have yet to try to power it back up, and will not do so until later this morning. So, hopefully it will be okay. If not, off to the damned computer store we go.

You know, I had crossed that dang bridge dozens of times before. It was just the day before, when the family had warned us that the bridge was getting weak, and we should exercise caution when crossing it. I should have taken the warning a bit more seriously.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.