Parrothead

You guys are NOT going to believe this. It happened - again!

Parrothead

Probably not exactly what you thought. Let me explain.

A little while back, before we got the first chicks we have now, a driver told us that he would keep us in mind the next time he had chicks.

He rang today. 2,500r per chick, no minimum.

We met him, asked him to wait for us to go fetch some other watering bottles, and off we went.

IMG_0545.jpg

A little FYI: The ducklings are 1,500r each.

Came back, he followed us to the house and she counted out 30 chicks. He only had 11 left. He offered 1 free if we bought the last 10. I countered at buying 8 more and getting 3 free. He quickly agreed. Obviously, I should have started at a lower number.

So, now we have another 41 chicks. Yes, 41. This brings the total to 61 chicks in all.

IMG_0553.jpg

We will keep these little ones separated from the others for a couple of days, to make sure they are okay.

He said these little guys are 1 week old today. Just so happens, so are our original birds.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

EDIT: Merged posts

Edited by Paul

JohnOBohn

shoulda got da ducks to.    Roast - bar-b-qued duck is darn good eatin.

jimmyboy

turkeys bring $30- $50 each at thanksgiving and new year too.

• Like 1

Parrothead

shoulda got da ducks to.    Roast - bar-b-qued duck is darn good eatin.

I tried to buy some for our new landlord. He has a pond LOADED with LARGE fish, behind his home. He didn't want them. I told him I would buy them and keep them in the coop until they were big enough to let out on their own. I would have liked to have them around the place, too. 

turkeys bring $30- $50 each at thanksgiving and new year too.

I can see this now. The landlord running us off after we try to start a farm here at the house. :D 

Seriously, I want to learn how to take care of the birds I have so far, before moving on to others. I want to do everything I can to keep them in good health. 

jimmyboy

just have your hatchery ops there and when they have hard feathers- off to the growout.

you can get a real good 500 egg incubator in Saigon for $500.

Buy two and you will be a balut king- and it is a very ready market

quail are also lucrative.

jimmyboy

ducks are a problem in the house yard. they have quite messy excreta, and it ends up sticking to the shoes and gets spread around.

when i had my farm in north queensland i had 20 peacocks.

it was hell.

running back and forth on the steel roof in the 480 m sq barn i had converted to my home all night around full moon.

as well as the screaming sound they make ( heeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaw) they also honk like a mack truck- but louder. all night.

it is the best eating bird you will EVER taste, and plenty of meat on them too.  feathers are worth money.

they are death on snakes and will kill quite big ones. they mob them and use their wings as shields.

dicey eye

In the Sierra Nevada Mountains 32 yrs ago  I had 3 peacocks, great watch birds, screeching voices, very aggressive towards strangers, beautiful to look at.

• Like 1

jimmyboy

been crunching numbers and i dont see why you couldn't make usd 1k/month or better gross on a little hatchery operation there.

much less risk than growing adult birds form a biosecurity aspect.

dicey eye

40 yrs ago in Argyle, Texas raised ducks, (clipped the wings, had a few acres, big pond, got good money for those big ole eggs. Though ducks, like peacocks if they don't know you are aggressive and readily attack interlopers. Kinda scary watching a duck in attack mode with its wings flapping and neck out stretched.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Nothing ever works 100% of the time for you. This certainly includes all your chickens returning to the coop in the evening. Here, we often have as many as twenty to thirty chickens which end up outside, rather than returning to the coop at night.

Early this evening, I went out, and was going to close the door behind me. As I turned around to close the door, I noticed, just below the center of the door (there is a space in between the concrete stoop and the container), was a chicken. The bird was laying on the front center foundation support for the container. The odd thing was, me opening and closing the door, as well as stepping over the bird both coming and going, doesn't seem to bother the bird whatsoever.

I just went outside again, to have a look around the farm, just to make sure things looked okay. That same bird is still there, snoozing away like it has cotton in Augusta. I'm telling you, that door has been opened and closed at least a dozen times this evening. Either that chicken is deaf and blind, or it just doesn't care about what is going on around it. Beneath that entry doore is one of the strangest places I've ever seen a chicken sleep. 

Apologies: I tried to get a photo of the bird. But, the lighting - and my shitty camera skills, just didn't permit a quality enough image to post. 
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Randy, the one in the hatching video (posted at the bottom of this post), is the first chick to successfully hatch in the incubator. The other seven in this video were hatched by a hen.

Randy and siblings, in the coop at the house.
      They will be moved to the farm very soon.
      Randy is the cockerel standing on the piece of wood at the end of this video.
      14 more chicks will be put in the coop in their place.

Randy, the day he hatched, July 3rd, 2014.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Since we began raising Silkies in May, we have slowly gravitated toward them as our exclusive chickens. They are easy to raise, the hens seem to make good mothers, and the Chinese (and others) apparently love this breed over all others to eat. 

Recently, we brought two of these little guys from the farm, as we are keeping the larger chicks - a couple months old, up to full grown chickens, at the farm. In this case, I am very happy that we did. Most of the Silkies tend to shy away from us naturally. However, these two little guys have been like children ever since we got them to the house.

You can hold them indefinitely. They will stay in your hand as long as you let them. They love to be held and will chirp endlessly if put back in their box. Yep. Spoiled rotten already. Anyway, here are some photos of them from yesterday:

Born: July 28th, 2014
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Randy (or Randi) about to meet its siblings.

Brewster the Rooster, nails anything in sight.

First and second hens setting.

The third hen setting on her eggs.

Broody hen looking for "her" nest.

Chicks arriving home.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Well, it's paid off, kinda. 

About an hour or so ago, our first little Silkie chicken hatched in the incubator. This is my first successful hatch. The little things lungs work well, I can tell ya that. It has been chirping since before it was completely out of the shell. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.