Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,082 posts
  • 834 topics
  • Local time: 04:15 PM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

Well, this little project is getting closer to becoming a reality. Someone recently contacted me, after reading this thread. They have donated 10 PWM charge controllers for this project. I have a number of panels already available. Next is to secure the deep cycle batteries. 

• Dante likes this

--------------
Paul

#12 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 298 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 08:15 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:19 AM

Wow! Paul,

You've really been doing your homework on solar systems! - Lol!

This reads like a very worthwhile and admirable project.

Just curious about the "Kid" controller though. Looks like a nice product, but ......

It doesn't claim to be an MTTP controller and it has a lot of manual mode settings (as you would expect from a basic PWM controller).

Can it be "set-up and forget"  so that the user doesn't need to ever change the settings?

I guess that would be essential in this application for technically unsophisticated users?

Cheers

ps. On second reading of the specs, it looks like the "Kid" is quite "smart" (ie. has a microcontroller in it) to be able to do all the many different modes it offers.

Edited by Oz Jon, 01 February 2018 - 07:44 AM.

• Paul likes this

#13 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,082 posts
  • 834 topics
  • Local time: 04:15 PM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

ps. On second reading of the specs, it looks like the "Kid" is quite "smart" (ie. has a microcontroller in it) to be able to do all the many different modes it offers.

Yep. The "Kid" is a true MPPT controller. It is a solid controller, for sure. The "Brat", shown on the previous page, is a PWM controller. The units recently donated, are PWM technology, as well. Those are 10 ampere charge controllers, with low voltage disconnect. Perfect for "set and forget" systems, running sealed batteries.

• Oz Jon likes this

--------------
Paul

#14 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 298 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 08:15 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Yep. The "Kid" is a true MPPT controller. It is a solid controller, for sure. The "Brat", shown on the previous page, is a PWM controller. The units recently donated, are PWM technology, as well. Those are 10 ampere charge controllers, with low voltage disconnect. Perfect for "set and forget" systems, running sealed batteries.

Right!

Well, as you indicate, a controller with current and voltage limits, plus the all important "low voltage load disconnect" is sufficient to make a quite adequate  "set-and-forget" system.  MPPT capability is very nice "icing-on-the-cake".

A great project Paul!

• Paul likes this