Parrothead

A second rainwater harvesting project (with photos), completed.

Parrothead

So, the landlord had a rain gutter already going across the rear of our attached 2 bedroom home. A roof catchment width of 9 meters, by 7 meters to the roof ridge. 63 square meters of total catchment area was just sitting there for the taking. I asked our landlord if he would be okay if we paid for the PVC and bought a storage tank, to use his partially built system.

He not only gave us approval, but provided a 1,500L tank, FREE, for our use! The only thing I had to do, was to buy the PVC piping for about $30 USD, total. 

The concrete pad was completed on the 6th, the PVC and tank set up the following day - on the 7th of August.

Below are some of the photos. Click them for 1600 x 1200 resolution.

The 6th of August

Two laborers to pour and finish the concrete was a total of $12.50.

IMG_1318r.jpg

IMG_1320r.jpg

IMG_1322r.jpg

The cement, sand, and rock, were left over from my previous solar project, and a project the landlord had previously completed.

IMG_1324r.jpg

It rained up to, and including the day we finished the installation. Then, it didn't rain a dang drop until a couple of days ago. When it did rain, it over flowed the tank in almost no time at all. Bear in mind, 1mm of rain over 63 m2 is 63 liters. The first 32 would be routed to the first flush system, with the balance going into the tank. It would take a full 25 mm of rainwater to overflow the tank. I could have filled two of these tanks that day. 

The next day, Chan washed all our clothes using the rain water previously collected. Then, yesterday, it rained again, filling the tank back to its overflow point. We definitely need more storage tanks!!

The 7th of August

IMG_1328r.jpg

If you look closely (may have to view this image in full view), you can see the red handle of the ball valve of the first flush system, located on the other end of the building. Look just to the left edge of the tank, near the bottom where the metal support (ring) frame starts. Also, if you look underneath the tank, you will see a ball valve used to drain the trash, sand, etc., from the tank. I will open that up for a bit, the day after every rain.

IMG_1329r.jpg

IMG_1330r.jpg

Concrete (water) jars can be bought here for very little, actually. I want to get two 1,200L jars and put them on either side of the tree. Then, pipe them together, along with the stainless tank. I would leave the stainless tank isolated from them, though. I would use the drain (ball) valve at the bottom of the stainless tank to drain any trash that still made its way past the first flush system. Then, I would open the side valve to let it drain into the concrete tanks, filling them to their respective capacities. This would give us a total of 3,600 liters of rainwater storage, for watering the chickens, washing clothes, and anything else we may need.

IMG_1331r.jpg

Please note: This wasn't because I am too cheap to pay .50c US per cubic meter of water. In fact, it had nothing to do with money. Our monthly water bill is only $5.00 USD. Rather, it is all about conservation. Not to mention, the water coming off the roof is a hell of a lot cleaner than that coming from the city water mains. That, I am quite certain about.

This is water that is available for us to use for free. Otherwise, it would simply drain into the ground. Currently, we use about 10 cubic meters of city water, per month. I want to see how much less we use, starting next month.

I will take a sample of the water to have tested, the first of next week.

• Like 3

Parrothead

City Rainwater Harvesting Project Update:

I hope this new information is accurate. Until now, I had thought the large water storage jars we had at the farm were 1,050 liters each. After talking with a guy here in town (Battambang), I learned those are 1,200 liter jars. The reason is, our landlord, who has been so helpful through our rainwater harvesting project here, had two water jars delivered for our home. Apparently, they are the largest water jars manufactured in the city, at 700 liters capacity each. There are also some smaller jars available, that are 400 liters capacity. We currently have 2,200 liters of rainwater available.

One thing very important to do, once you have purchased these water jars, no matter how old or new they are, is to fill them with water, in stages. If you do not do this, you will have a pretty loud "BANG!" outside one day, when least expecting it. That will be your water jar exploding into a million pieces and water being spilled everywhere. Yes, it does happen. It happened to one of ours - well, because I filled it a bit too quickly. Follow the instructions below, to properly fill a Cambodian made water jar:

Step 1: Fill the water jar about 1/5 to 1/4 the way up from empty. Wait three to four days.

Step 2: Fill the water jar up to about 2/3rds the way full. Wait another three or four days. 

Step 3: Fill the water jar the rest of the way full. Wait one week to ten days. 

Step 4: Drain the water jar. Clean the water jar. Refill the water jar to full.

Step 5: Begin using the water from the water jar.

NEVER let one of these (new) jars sit more than two days, empty of water. If you do, you will have to repeat the steps above, again, in order to season the jar.

Before anyone asks, no, it is not a joke. The water has to absorb into the pores of the concrete, I suppose.

Second water jar being delivered

IMG_1412r.jpg

First water jar. The one we still have.

IMG_1418r.jpg

Second water jar. The one that is no longer with us.

IMG_1416r.jpg

Our city water consumption has dropped 4,000 liters (4 m3) each month, since we started this project.

• Like 1

Parrothead

I'd love to see how those jars are made.

I asked Brian Kemp to do a video for me, due to some other guys asking the same question. He did one hell of a job. I think he said it took 5,000 frames to make this video?

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      It took a while to find the right one. But, I finally got a pump and strainer ordered, and paid for.

I ordered a 12vdc, 3.0 GPM (11 LPM) ShurFlo Revolution (Model 4008), 55 PSI pump. 

To protect it from any any trash entering the pump head, I added a ShurFlo threaded strainer to the order. (Both were listed on eBay.)

They should be shipped early this week. After getting prices that just made me laugh at other sellers, I finally found one who was down to earth, and not trying to get my first born as part of the deal. I found Circle K RV's, a seller on eBay.com. They also have a website. Circle K RVs offer quite a number of parts and accessories for RVs. They also have no issues with shipping anywhere in the world. (Some companies I have dealt with during this search, seemed a bit more apprehensive to ship to Cambodia. Oh well, their loss.) 

Anyway, after communicating with Circle K, they were willing to combine both orders into one, thereby saving me a bit on shipping. 

So, now I am just waiting. As soon as they arrive, I will pipe both parts into the water system at the farm.

Looks like we will soon have our own water works.
    • Parrothead
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Well, it took a while to find one. In fact, we ended up having to order it from Phnom Penh. Probably even paid too much for it ($130 USD, all in). But, we got it, and it is for the whole house. Oh, it comes with a beefy bracket, too, and the mounting screws with washers (4), to mount it to the bracket. 

Put the tape measure on it. The filter is a standard 20" X 4.5" charcoal filter. Replacement cost, by the way, he told me is $60 each.

Much cleaner water for the family to drink.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Part of a previous project I wanted to work on in Battambang, was to initially get a fairly constant (clean) water supply to the house. Ultimately, I want to drill a well. However, I wanted to do whatever it took to get the home in order so that it was "barang" livable, first. So, my priorities, in order of importance, were -

1. Constant source of power - solar array.
      2. Semi-constant source of water - rain water collection / harvesting.
      3. Western toilet installed on grounds.
      4. Pressurized water system, including DC pump, storage tank(s), and possibly a well.
      5. Possible solar water heating project.
      6. Anything else that I would need as a creature comfort.

Since item number one was covered here, and will be completed by this up coming Tuesday, I figured why not go ahead and start on item number two, which will begin tomorrow. No better time than the present, I say.

Currently, there are three of the Cambodian style water storage "jars" on the property. They provide a total volume of 3,150 liters, currently. Obviously, I will need much more. However, considering I will cover a well in item number four, above, I shouldn't need to depend on the 3,150 liters for too long.

At the moment, I have 55 m2 of roof area, from which to collect water. I realize this doesn't sound like much. But, considering the volume of water that is dumped during these monsoon rains, and after having watched the water fill some of the smaller tanks simply from the water falling from the sky, I figure the roof will make short time of filling three - one thousand liter tanks. Some how, I just do not see Cambodia following along in the "typical" parameters that would apply to most mathematics calculations. In fact, according to the calculation to determine how much water you can harvest from a given roof area, the roof in question should only be able to provide a bit over 3,000 liters, over the course of an entire year!

Let me tell you, folks, I found that quite laughable, to be completely honest. It was so funny, and so "out there", that I actually calculated the variable three times! Each time, it came up the same, exact figure. 

Anyway, tomorrow, the concrete pad for the tanks will be formed, poured, and will hopefully cure before the afternoon rains set in. Then, the gutters will go on the house, the PVC will be routed from the downspouts, and the tanks will be set in place and linked together via a 1/2" PVC pipe and a few other fittings. Considering we should still get a fair amount of rain through October, this should be a decent time to set in to test this new project out.

Breakdown for labor and material costs:

$49 USD - labor rate for one installer (boss) and three laborers.
      *Salary breakdown: $17 (journeyman), $7 (laborer), $10 (laborer), $15 (laborer)
      $57 USD - PVC, rain gutters, and all accessories necessary for assembly.
      $40 USD - big rocks for filler as sub foundation for concrete slab. 
      $15 USD - small rocks for filler as sub foundation for concrete slab.
      $25 USD - sand to mix with cement. (We only used about 3/5ths of the sand for the project.)
      $33 USD - cement for foundation.
      $04 USD - We had to purchase 3 more 90 degree 2 1/2" elbows due to an - oooppps!
      $223 USD - TOTAL

* The reason for the salary differences is because the laborers were there before the actual construction, moving the sand, rock, and cement to the work site.

Please understand that, had I just made a simple harvesting system, I could have done so MUCH cheaper. However, I am using a design of a "First Flush System", similar to one made by a guy on YouTube, to prevent the initial water from the roof to be sent to the tanks. This alone, added significant cost to the over all collection system. But, it also guarantees cleaner water will be delivered to the storage tanks.

============================================

UPDATE 22-12-13: Since this thread was started, we have added another 30m2 of rain water catchment area to the farm house. Also, the original figure of 20m2 was incorrect. It was 25m2.

UPDATE 18-01-14: The added roof, with steel supports and trusses, cost $13 / m2. The total cost was included in a $1,000 USD extension project. But, comes to $390 USD, total. Additionally, we finally got around to finishing connecting the added roof collection area to the rainwater harvesting system. We bought two additional lengths of 2.5" PVC. However, we only needed length for the job. The cost for each length was $4.00 USD.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Thanks to JimmyBoy for giving me the link to a water testing facility in Phnom Penh. 

Here is their current price list: WaterSHED_Laboratory_Price_List.pdf

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.