Skinny Legs

Can a Barang work as a miner ( Gems )

Skinny Legs

I was thinking, Has anyone ever heard of a foreigner/Barang Search for Gems in Cambodia?    It could be a nice little hobby to do every so often. Would it be possible?

Cheers 

Parrothead

Jimmyboy may have information on this? 

JohnOBohn

I know of no limitations here.  One must be very careful wandering around the countryside though.   Not from criminals BUT from the millions of bombs that America dropped on Cambodia during their invasion of Vietnam (sorry their military advisory personnel in Vietnam)  who were only aiding the South Vietnamese government in their struggle against communism.

But the bomblets are a very real hazard to your health/life.    Firn out if the area you want to explore is one of the infected areas.

phuketrichard

i used to mine in Boi Rai Thailand ( 3 clicks from the Cambodian border) back in 1987-88

We used to go ( walk) into  Cambodia and up to the area around Pailin.

Most of the stuff u find now is very small pieces an dits mostly around the Palin ( west) area of Cambodia

Best stuff continues to come out of Mogok in Myanmar

John;

the US dropped most of their bombs in the East  on the ho chi min trail and none on in the West on the Cambodian /Thai border 

BUT the vietnames  & KR did plant millions of mines there

Jimmy knows about the areas in the East

Edited by phuketrichard

jimmyboy

you could do a bit of fossicking in the rivers southwest of pailin no problems.

a lot of locals are doing that on a hobby/rockhounding basis now.

you may actually find a little ruby or sapphire.

digging shafts around bokheo in ratanakiri- no way.

they are running a lot of illegal cambodian miners out of there right now.

Skinny Legs

Thanks for all of the reply's some interesting stuff there.   I was a a keen Metal detectorist in the Uk.  But i didn't fancy bringing mine over when i worked in Vietnam, Lot's of mines/grenades there too.  I do fancy a bit of a look around for Ruby's and Sapphires.

phuketrichard

would u even know one if u saw one on the raw? 

Skinny Legs

Yes and  no really, it have done a bit of Gem hunting in South Africa. However that was over 10 years ago.  I will have a peek on youtube for handy videos. Maybe get a local to go mining with?  It's not going to be a full time thing just a bit of messing about  a few days a month.  

phuketrichard

it took me over 6 months of sorting 8 hours a day till i could recongzie a good raw stone

It is NOT easy

I seriously doubt any Cambodian ( or thai) would allow you to just go looking for gems

its their livelyhood

I know where i lived an worked, no farangs were allowed into our gem fields.  We owned/rented our mines ( bascially open air pits)

• Like 1

jimmyboy

those creeks and rivers are public- no underground mining