#1 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics
  • Local time: 01:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:57 PM

I see back in December 2012 a small topic of aquaponics  was addressed by jimmy boy! Has anyone any knowledge or success in this line of farming in Cambodia?

Edited by Paul, 19 January 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#2 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Chaos Remediation Engineer

• 1,715 posts
  • 70 topics
  • LocationKien Svay

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

haven't seen anything yet

#3 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hi Jimmyboy I see you had started a small topic about this! So no progress? I was talking to a pig farmer there with my plans and ideas, he had thought it a good idea. I am not talking about making big money! just some help in getting by. By the way! I think you may also shear the same interest as me in the gemstones, this is what first brought me to Asia, we may be able to talk about this subject too.  

Edited by andy, 03 June 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#4 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

I have been developing and working with different types of systems over a number of years now, unfortunately the climate in the UK doesn't really suit my needs for Cambodia. I have tried experiments! Greenhouse based, climate control is a problem! Plants grow well but fish get too hot. Temperature control for the water is the answer. Possibly with the aid of radiator cooling. 

The system I would like to use! would be a grow bed of 30'x10'x1' =300' plus 6 grow pipes for the return water from the flood and drain or drip system, possibly half and half (depending on what crop to be grown) With an independent fish tank of 10'x10x5'=500' stocked with 50-100 fish.

This would give growing and living room of 10'-5' per fish and fertilization of the grow bed of 6'-3' per fish. Incorporating a worm bed also would be an advantage to aid with the cost of fish food. The system is fully organic and self sustainable with the little time of the farmer.

The growth rate with aquaponics is around half of the time or less, of soil based growing  (depending on what crop)  and also little loss of water.

Advantages - small space farming - vegetables and fish to eat, or for sale.

I have also been working on other very effective systems with quick production turnovers, solely for the use of small animal farmers, to aid with there feed costs!!!

There is a little about my idea's and passion. Please be happy to give me any feedback or interest.  

#5 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

The growth rate with aquaponics is around half of the time or less, of soil based growing

Really? I had no idea. Why? I mean, what makes the difference? Constant water?

Please be happy to give me any feedback or interest.  

I am interested in learning about this. When do you expect to be in Cambodia? 

Edited by Paul, 08 June 2015 - 08:26 PM.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#6 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi Paul thank you for your interest. I read about your solar project the other day! wow!! good but well over my head.

I am finding out how long I have left on my contract. I would hope to be in Cambodia in about 3 months or before.

Here is a small bit of information if it helps.

Aquaponics

Plants - The best way to predict how much produce can be grown from an aquaponics system is to compare its productivity to a soil based garden. Aquaponic gardens grow very conservatively, at least twice as much as a comparably sized soil based garden. This is because aquaponically grown plants have a near perfect environment in their root zones of water, oxygen and nutrients so they can focus their energy on their top growth.

Fish - Consider that a 200 gallon fish tank attached to a media based system can produce 40pounds of fish per year. In 2010 the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimated that the average person consumed 38 pounds of fish.

Care - Aquaponic Systems take very little time to maintain! Daily feed the fish and check that the pump and the siphons are operating properly. Weekly testing the pH and Ammonia levels, refill the water levels in your tank.

• Paul and Mikala like this

#7 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Fish - Consider that a 200 gallon fish tank attached to a media based system can produce 40pounds of fish per year. In 2010 the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimated that the average person consumed 38 pounds of fish.

So, the average Khmer family will need a tank about 3,000 gallons. :D :D

Thanks for the information, mate. 

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#8 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:27 AM

You are right Paul :yahoo: haha. If you look at the system I have proposed, it is around about that capacity! The land area you would need is 46x18 feet. Just think if you had the land to set up four of these systems, plus the room for livestock! let us say for example five pigs housed at the end of the vegetable bed! a rotating cycle from new stock (piglets) to market stock (meat sale). so we have 200/400 fish, 20 pigs, 1440 feet of growing area. All organic and fast growing. Rainwater harvesting and solar to work the pumps and cooling system. Now this may be a good plan!!! Plus we have not talked about my quick animal feed system.  

Edited by andy, 11 June 2015 - 01:32 AM.

• Paul likes this

#9 phuketrichard

phuketrichard

Posting Addict

• 1,510 posts
  • 97 topics

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

jimmy gave me this

https://www.facebook...onicsInCambodia

they run classes in Cambodia

#10 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:33 PM

That is excellent Thank you. Hydroponics adding the nutrients, rather then Aquaponics fish doing the job for you, and having them also as food supply. But saying this the pipe system they are using is very good, and can not be beaten for growing leaf vegetables. This is what I have proposed for the return of water from the grow bed. (the flood and drain). But also you could build this system as continues flow.

Thanks again for this information! This has helped me so much! now I know the basis for equipment is available in Cambodia.      

• Paul likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, organic farming