Parrothead

US Passport Issues Update

Parrothead

My first thread, told of my first visit to the US Embassy in Phnom Penh. At that time, I was unaware of the delay issues the State Department was having, regarding passport renewal from abroad, as well as visa applications for foreign visitors to the US. Had I known that was going to happen, I would have taken the smart route - which was advised, while I was in the US. However, I did not take that gentleman's advice, which is now costing me on every turn. 

I was informed, upon my first call to the embassy, that it would be a delay. At the time, they had no idea how long the delay would be. Again, dumb me, should have done this all during my visit to the US. Hindsight...

Anyway, I posted an update on June 14th, asking questions about passport expiry dates and visa issuance. (Posted for reference purposes.) 

So, we are up to July 9th, now. That is, seven weeks, three days after I applied, and paid my fees. Still, no passport. I rang US Citizen Services at the embassy today, to see what they would advise me.

Now, it seems, I must head down to Phnom Penh to secure a temporary passport. It will only be valid for one year. They can issue that one directly from the office. (Stupid question. But, why can't they just change the dates on the "temporary" passport to expire in ten years?) Oh, that's the good news. Here's the bad.

In less than one year, I will have to go BACK to the US Embassy AGAIN, and resubmit ANOTHER application for my (another?) ten-year passport (with additional pages, hopefully?) The only good part about this whole ordeal is, the lady told me I will be given the ten-year passport at that time, at no additional charge to me. (I certainly would hope not.)

More bad news. Now, I will only have a one year passport. That will make me look like some scum bag backpacker who left one too many guesthouses without paying his $1,000 USD tab. (The US Embassy, for those who do not know, will only issue one year passports for people who tend to "lose" too many passports.) Not to mention, I will only be able to get short term (single entry) visas in this passport. So, I guess me planning on traveling anywhere outside Cambodia for the next year, is going to be pretty much a moot point. Well, unless I want to pay for a visa upon every reentry. 

Thanks, State Department. Really. I truly appreciate the feck ups.

phuketrichard

told ya after dec 31st

they will no longer issue extra pages for US passports

u will get a 52 page book that has 44 pages available for stamps ( if they use the last 3 pages) which are only supposed to be used for endorsements.

Guess ur only going t be able to apply for  6 month Cambodian extension.

wonder how many pages a 1 year temp passport has?

temp passports do not have the chip as those are only issued in the states

Parrothead

told ya after dec 31st

they will no longer issue extra pages for US passports

u will get a 52 page book that has 44 pages available for stamps ( if they use the last 3 pages) which are only supposed to be used for endorsements.

Yeah. I understand what you are saying. They will no longer add additional pages to current passports. When applying for a new passport, you will get "one size fits all".

Guess ur only going t be able to apply for  6 month Cambodian extension.

That's exactly what I figured I would do. Get this temporary jobber. Use it until December, and apply for my new passport so it will (hopefully) be back by the end of December.

wonder how many pages a 1 year temp passport has?

I have no idea. But, I will be able to answer any/all questions about it, sometime next week.

temp passports do not have the chip as those are only issued in the states

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, to me anyway.