Parrothead

Thailand offering a 6-month multiple-entry tourist visa for 5,000 THB??

Parrothead
Thailand Gives Go-Ahead for 6 month multiple-entry tourist visa available to tourists from around the world

In a bid to boost tourism and help get the Thai economy back on track the Thai government will now be granting multi-entry visas to all visitors from any nation.

Thai Visa 6 monthsThe minister for tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has given the go ahead for the proposal. It is expected to come into effect within 60 days of cabinet approval.

Citizens from over 30 countries can currently enter the kingdom without a visa for up to 30 days, but some nationalities are required to pay around 1,000 Baht for a single entry 30 day visa.

The minister announced that the new visa would allow tourists to enter the Kingdom more than once, similar to other countries.

A proposed charge of 5,000 Baht is being considered for a six month visa.

Tourism is still growing as an industry, whereas other business has been affected by economic slow-down.

Thailand is aiming to receive 28 million visitors this year with domestic and inbound tourism looking to generate an income of 2.2 trillion Baht. This equates to around 10% of Thailand’s

Gross National Product, known as GDP.

July 2015 saw 2.6 million arrivals, an increase from last year’s figures of 37%. China and Malaysia were the top two nationalities of visitors.

This may actually make it a bit more attractive, if it goes through, to visit the ol' country again. 

• Like 2

andy

This is a very interesting proposal from the Thai government. It would be most helpful for people who stay long term in Thailand, cutting down the visa runs down to every 6 months. It would be very helpful for the western old age pensioners, who would find the visa runs a little tedious and time consuming.

The visa runs do have the costs! (The Thai people who do the visa runs for a living will lose 50% of their income). The connecting countries would too suffer income.

I have some interesting examples of western friends staying long term in Thailand, some are working, some are pensioners, one or two are married to Thais.

One young lady I know is from Loas, she has a baby to a western man living in Thailand. She like many, must do a visa run every month!

She comes to the Thai-Cambodian border, hands her passport in at the Thai side! She never sets foot on Cambodian soil, she waits there, and her passport is delivered back to her with the new visa stamp. I asked her recently why don't you come and visit me in Cambodia for the day, when you get your visa. She replied I would like to visit but I have a predicament! "my baby has no passport and cannot leave Thailand".

For me! The free one month entry visa is sufficient. Allowing me to visit friends and see the sights. Good time in Thailand and to visit connecting countries. Going back and forth is not a problem.

If I was to sum up the personal time and costs for my trip this time, entry to Thailand. FREE OF CHARGE. Entry to Cambodia 25$. Visa extension 80$. Entry back into Thailand FREE OF CHARGE. 6 months travel for 105$.

One thing to consider is if the new entry visa is approved. The 30 country citizens, whom have had the privilege, of the one month free entry visa into the kingdom. Will now pay 5000baht on arrival.

phuketrichard

??? sorry ur wrong on so every point.

It would be very helpful for the western old age pensioners

HUH? we all get a 1 year extension an NEVER have to leave the country

some are working

if they are working they need a wp an Qualify for  a 1 year extension

one or two are married to Thais.

if they are married they qualify for a 1 year visa available in laos, where they need leave every 90 days or a 1 year extension available in Thailand

One young lady I know is from Loas, she has a baby to a western man living in Thailand. She like many, must do a visa run every month!

She comes to the Thai-Cambodian border, hands her passport in at the Thai side! She never sets foot on Cambodian soil, she waits there, and her passport is delivered back to her with the new visa stamp.

wont help her at all as she is NOT a tourist

Entry to Cambodia 25$.

$30

The 30 country citizens, whom have had the privilege, of the one month free entry visa into the kingdom. Will now pay 5000baht on arrival.

Wrong, they can still come in visa exempt by air for 30 days or via land for 15 ( or 30 if from a G7 Country)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Guest Kenny

She replied I would like to visit but I have a predicament! "my baby has no passport and cannot leave Thailand".

I've seen this problem a couple of times in the past.

The problem is, Thailand says that the infant is the nationality of the father.

phuketrichard

I've seen this problem a couple of times in the past.

The problem is, Thailand says that the infant is the nationality of the father.

I am unsure what Thailand says in regards a non thai child born out of wedlock

It would depend on the nationality of the father

For US father the child would be American if you show that you resided it the US for at least five years. Two of those years need to be after you turned 14

SO

If her childs dad was American, the child could get an American passport.fairly easy

file a report of birth abroad

with that get a passport

But than if he is english;

Children born out-of-wedlock, before 1 July 2006, to British fathers, are completely excluded from acquiring British citizenship by descent.

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead

Either way, I guess they are sorting out that they need to do something, rather than being pricks to the foreigners who enter their country. It's that very same money that keeps a big part of the Thai economy going. 

• Like 1

andy

Phuketrichard - so now if you are married to a Thai national you can get a year extension in the country and not have to leave? What is the cost of the visa?

When I was married I got my visa in the UK and had to leave every 60 days. Same as a retiree at the time, or pay 1900baht at immigration for one month extension.

When I entered Cambodia two months ago the ordinary visa cost me 25$

phuketrichard

Phuketrichard - so now if you are married to a Thai national you can get a year extension in the country and not have to leave? What is the cost of the visa?

When I was married I got my visa in the UK and had to leave every 60 days. Same as a retiree at the time, or pay 1900baht at immigration for one month extension.

When I entered Cambodia two months ago the ordinary visa cost me 25$

If ur married to a thai u need prove it

copy ur marriage certifciate

400,000 in the bank or outside income that leads up to that

Its been this way for a LONG time

once/year go to immigration and apply  cost for the  1 year extension is 1,900 baht  reentry permit needed if u want to leave the country.

its every 90 days you need leave if ur on a 1 year non o or non B visa. I dont know when u said retirees had to leave every 60,  but i have had a 1 year extension for over 14 years now here an have lived here over 30 years

Tourist visas are valid for 60 days

u paid $30 2 months ago into Cambodia , price went up last year from $20

that is a NON immigrant O visa an cost apx $200 in any Thai embassy

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead

u paid $30 2 months ago into Cambodia , price went up last year from $20

I think the tourist visas were $20 and the business visas were $25, before? 

But, wasn't your g/f having problems staying long term, too?  

Used to be, they would let you get an education visa and you could stay for X length of time, as long as you were learning Thai. I opted out of that, because I didn't have the patience to learn Thai. (I feel similarly about Khmer.) 

Personally, they had better do something, or more and more people will start coming here, rather than going to Thailand. People don't want to deal with a country that makes it difficult for them to stay in the first place. 

My personal view is, if I am spending MY entire income in a country, they should be a bit more lenient and willing, concerning me staying there. I am doing what I can to help the local economy. While it may not be a lot of money, there are a number of us who, combined, spend a fair amount of money in country each month. All of this money could have been spent in Thailand, had they been a bit more accommodating. But, they choose not to be, so screw staying there long term - or at all really. Thailand only offers one thing better than what I can get here - medical care. And, if I really need that, a short flight away, and I am in the Philippines, where the medical care is just as good, and even cheaper than in Thailand. 

Parrothead

HUH? we all get a 1 year extension an NEVER have to leave the country

But, you still have to visit the Immigration Office. Here in Cambodia, pay one fee, and throw your passport in the safe for another year. No visits to Immigration. No dealings with anyone. No other monies to pay every X number days / weeks / months. One time, and you are done.