Parrothead

Baking / Cooking Club in Battambang

Parrothead

So, a few days ago, one of the local business owners decided to see if there were any interest in a baking / cooking club, here in town. 

Anyone who knows anything about me, knows I do not cook. I cannot cook. I would scorch water if I tried to boil it. 

I have proven this time and again over the past months, whenever attempting to prepare breakfast meals here at the house. I never thought sausages and bacon could look - well, like that, after having been - cooked? 

Anyway, so, interested parties for this new class got together - five of us, this afternoon. The plan, bring ingredients to make four (4) sweet potato pies. So, we did. 

Throughout the afternoon, each of us did our respective parts, from making the crust, to the filling, to rolling out the dough, to filling the pans, to placing them in the oven for about 45 minutes. Turned out, we had enough ingredients assembled to make six (6) pies. What a plan. We completed our task and sliced one for our efforts. What a tasty pie it was, too! 

The first three pies to be removed from the oven.

2015-09-26_17.jpg

Next time we meet - in two weeks, we will make Lemon Meringue Pies!!

I tell ya, I have never been so proud of such an accomplishment in my whole life. I loved it. I enjoyed every part I was involved in, especially in bringing one home! Man, I just wish I had remembered to buy a jug of milk!!

• Like 1

Mikala

Nice! It's been a long time since I had a sweet potato pie. Wish I was living in Battambang. I enjoy baking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrothead

Nice! It's been a long time since I had a sweet potato pie. Wish I was living in Battambang. I enjoy baking.

Hey Michael, fortunately for me, I have an oven in my home. I just need to get an oven thermometer for it, prior to attempting to bake anything. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

Next time we meet - in two weeks, we will make Lemon Meringue Pies!!

3 more days til Lemon Meringue Pies!!!

Mikala

Hey Michael, fortunately for me, I have an oven in my home. I just need to get an oven thermometer for it, prior to attempting to bake anything. 

That's one of the things I'm missing!

I bought a bread mix while I was home in Hawaii a few months ago, but the gosh-darned thing calls for using 2 teaspoons of apple vinegar. That's got me stymied for the moment. There's got to be some apple vinegar somewhere here in Korea!

Guest Kenny

That's one of the things I'm missing!

I bought a bread mix while I was home in Hawaii a few months ago, but the gosh-darned thing calls for using 2 teaspoons of apple vinegar. That's got me stymied for the moment. There's got to be some apple vinegar somewhere here in Korea!

Use any real vinegar, with two teaspoons you'll not notice a difference.

Even white wine would do.