Guest Kenny

What, exactly, is an expat?

Guest Kenny

In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”.

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Take a look HERE.

TorJay

It is interested that to determine if one is called an immigrant, migrant, or ex-pat depends on one's social status in the world.

• Like 1

andy

I like your post Kenny! It is not a easy or comfortable post, to reply an easy answer.​ ​​On my many visits to Asia I have thought about this question?

The correct definition Would be someone whom works and lives in a country which is not his own.

I have done a little research on the subject, and the following I find ease for a description I understand.

The world today is a portal of immigrants and emigrants. Eastern people head to the West to gain employment, mostly to gain a higher rate of payment then they could achieve in their own country. 

Western people move to the East to seek new business opportunities, most will take a financial loss.

Some arrivals are described as expats; others as immigrants; and some, simply migrants. It depends on social class, country of origin and economic status. But in most cases, the nomenclature is outdated, rooted in a time when voyages involved a one-way ticket on a steamship.

A more current interpretation of the term “expat†has more to do with privilege.

Expats are free to roam between countries and cultures, privileges not afforded to those considered immigrants or migrant workers.

Maybe that’s what an expat is today! Not a foreigner, not a sojourner, but someone who lives between worlds.

​

• Like 1

mollydooker

Therefore is an expat also an alien ??

• Like 1

Parrothead

Therefore is an expat also an alien ??

I'm an alien. Well, I feel like I am kinda close to aliens anyway, since that one time I was abducted and probed.

phuketrichard
....created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else.

where does this come from in the word expat??

i am an expat  and proud of it.

Why?

because i choose to live in a country not my own, I am NOT an immigrant/emigrant  nor a refugee nor will i ever be accepted 100% as a local

Simple

.It is not a easy or comfortable post,

why do u say this?

• Like 2

andy

Phuketrichard "why do I say this"! Answer is my friend "sorry if I have offended you". Like I have said not a comfortable or easy post! Our world is changing so quickly. We today, have to be so careful of the words we use "not to offend others" good or bad, I do not have the answers. But has a individual free person, we will travel, work and reside in the countries of our choice.

EXPAT - A person working and living in a country of which is not their own birthplace. It would be right to say if a person does not work in the country he or she is classed has something else! Possibly a guest or a retiree. And has Mollydooker says an ALIEN.

Look up the song on youtube. Sting - An English man in New York. The words in the song "I am a legal alien".

• Like 1

Parrothead

We today, have to be so careful of the words we use "not to offend others" good or bad, I do not have the answers.

Oh, when it comes to Richard, I wouldn't worry about offending him, for two reasons. First, he doesn't offend easily. Second, he wouldn't have a problem with offending you. :D

• Like 1

Parrothead

nor will i ever be accepted 100% as a local

Truer words never spoken, regarding living ANYWHERE in Southeast Asia. No matter what we ever do, or how hard we try to be accepted by locals in these countries, simply put, it isn't going to happen. 

About the closest I have ever come to being accepted like a local would be, was when I lived in the Philippines. Filipinos have a way of drinking together. It's called "Tagay". It's the Filipino version for "cheers!". Anyway, a group of Filipinos will be seated around a table with one glass, and several bottles of beer. 

Tagay is when one person pours a drink - never a full glass, but more like a couple / few shots, and hands it to the person to his right. That person will drink, and pour another, then hand it to the person to his right. They continue doing this until all the beer has been drank. Countless times, I have shared drinking like this. Even refusing a separate glass, when offered, prior to starting the round. The Filipinos you are drinking with, then realize that you do not consider yourself better than, but equal to them.

Still, even that does not make one accepted like a local. But, as I stated, it is about as close as you or I would ever come. 

TorJay

I was abducted and probed.

Paul was probed by an alien... how kinky is that??? :censor:
  • Like 1