My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Local time: 01:32 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

So the pond/dam dries up?

How long for? How many months with no water?

Most of the dams / ponds lose water during dry season. The water level in the pond at Chan's farm had already dropped considerably in the two months after harvest, prior to the time we filled it in. Take a look here: 

image (3)_r.jpg

It would have dropped a LOT more prior to April / May.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#32 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:58 AM

A site that has a pretty good page concerning water for aquaponics:

http://www.urbanaqua...cs.com.au/water

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#33 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:15 AM

Good read that was Paul

I am just waiting for this to be delivered.  Water Quality Purity Tester.

zxz.PNG

• Paul likes this

#34 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

I just posted a reply in another thread where I recently met a guy, actually two, who would have resources I will need. One is a guy who is 20kms south of Phnom Penh, and has an aquaponics system. He said I can get Tilapia fry from him, whenever my system is ready for them. 

Another guy, located about 60 kms from here, has a Black Soldier Fly colony. He is starting to get them reproducing. So, we will be able to get some of those to start producing larvae for chickens to eat. Not sure if you are familiar with them, Andy. But, they are a great source of protein for chickens. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#35 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:22 AM

He said I can get Tilapia fry from him, whenever my system is ready for them. 

You could do that Paul? You could do the traveling to collect the fry. Or you could telephone him to put them on the bus for you, and you collect them in Battambang from the bus, and hope they travel well. Then Wing him the money. (cost of fry and price for delivery).

The other option is look at Google maps (Krong Battambang ក្រុងបាត់ដំបង). Put on the Earth mode! Look at the ponds and go enquiring.

This is what I would personally do! Is to take my small plastic container, with water inside (bucket or similar) down to the local market, visit the fish area and buy adult Tilapia of your choice! They and other fish are mostly on sale alive (fresh food). Then later you will have your own fry.      

I did not know about Black Soldier Fly. Had to look it up!

https://youtu.be/Ryt...AUJDEU5pWxzuw4A

Insectivore is a carnivorous plant or animal that eats insects.

An alternative term is Entomophage which also refers to the human practice of eating insects.

The later one refers to me! With a cold beer in the bar I just love them little Silk worms, (better then a bag of peanuts). The grasshopper and other type I don't really care for! always picking their legs and wings out of my teeth.

I know that Tarantulas are a delicacy in Cambodia! I have not tried them has I hear they are gooey.   :bad:   

Edited by andy, 22 February 2016 - 02:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, farming, organic farming