#101 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 289 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 05:28 AM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

I gather that both timber and labour are readily available and cheap in Cambodia - both expensive items in the West.

So building a river/coastal-cruising wooden boat with a small motor/sail should be a relatively cheap and interesting exercise?

• andy likes this

#102 dicey eye

dicey eye

Posting Addict

• 2,043 posts
  • 170 topics
  • Local time: 01:28 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

If I remember correctly Andy chopped up and sank the last boat he had. The old saying about boat ownership is fairly accurate from my perspective - "there 2 happy days in boat ownership: the day you buy it and the day you sell it"

• syzmic likes this

#103 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 7,027 posts
  • 822 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

I gather that both timber and labour are readily available and cheap in Cambodia - both expensive items in the West.

So building a river/coastal-cruising wooden boat with a small motor/sail should be a relatively cheap and interesting exercise?

You may not have read the thread, back when I put the roof on the container? After pricing the wood and steel, I went with steel due to it being significantly cheaper, and stronger, for the roof construction. 

Labor, however, is quite cheap here.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#104 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:09 AM

Timber is very expensive in the area I am in now. Way above the price of steel.

• Paul likes this

#105 Bill H

Bill H

The Boat Guy

• 367 posts
  • 40 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 AM
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

It's kind of like the PH in Cambodia as far as boats are concerned.  Yes, there is some good timber, but it's all green and needs to be dried before use, except the locals, don't generally bother with that.  When you build with green wood it has a very high moisture content, as it dries it shrinks, sometimes cracks, etc.  A good boat can't be built with green wood.

Plywood:  If it's made in China it's junk, if it's not made in China it's probably junk.  When I was building boats in the PH I tested the local plywood, in a standard boil test.  The local ply was completely delaminated in less than two hours.  I also found some truly good marine ply in the PH their sample went for 72+ hours with no sign of delamination at all.  That was great, but they went out of business for want of logs.  The local government would not allow large enough logs to be cut, without logs they could not make the plywood and that was that.

All the other things that go into a boat are generally not available or if available it sells for outrageous prices.  You would be surprised by all the "other stuff" you need to build a good boat.

You're probably thinking, well the locals build good boats and they seem happy.  Yes and no.  The build boats, but I would not call them good and they do not have particularly long lives.

Such is life in Asia.

• Paul, Oz Jon and andy like this

#106 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,785 posts
  • 99 topics

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

You are a very experienced boat builder Bill H in this part of the world. I would happily take on your advice.

There are of course different methods and materials here then in the west.

How about the glass boats here. This is what the locals fish with in the mangroves.

WP_20170820_14_00_19_Pro.jpg

Price on these vary, as there are 3 sizes, and what motor you use. For the large size and new Honda $1200.

To be very honest I would like a trip over the border to bring one of these back. It would be fun here, and would take me back to my teaching days.

kv1Capture.PNG  

• Paul likes this

#107 Bill H

Bill H

The Boat Guy

• 367 posts
  • 40 topics
  • Local time: 11:28 AM
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

Oh, glass.....some folks love it, but I'm not one of them.  It's very expensive in Asia and hard to find.  It's much heavier than almost anything but steel and sometimes even heavier than steel.  It is not waterproof and will delaminate.

If one was determined, I'd suggest building a wood boat and then glassing the exterior with on layer of woven glass cloth.

I only stopped building because I could no longer get decent plywood it is almost impossible to find now.  Short-sightedness on the part of PH Officaldom.

#108 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 289 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 05:28 AM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

If one was determined, I'd suggest building a wood boat and then glassing the exterior with on layer of woven glass cloth.

Well Bill (as I'm sure that you know, but maybe some others don't) "glass" is a bit of a vague term.

Most people are thinking about "polyester resin/chopped-strand mat" construction (typical for most low-cost dinghy and small power boat construction) when they talk about "glass".

With few exceptions, those seem to be pretty successful applications.

The problem with polyester resin construction, is that its not completely water tight unless it's pretty thickly laid-up.

Even then, after a few years "osmosis" tends to take it's toll.

There have been many sad tales of even "top Brand-Name" $.5M+ boats ,suffering that expensive fate.

Particularly, putting a thin layer of polyester-glass over timber is a formula for failure (if preservation of the timber is your aim)

Doing the same thing with epoxy resin-glass however, has a lot of merit. Properly applied epoxy is water tight...that works fine!

So why doesn't everyone use epoxy?

- 1) they don't know about the problems/solution?

2) cost! - epoxy resin is 1.5x to 2x (maybe more depending on supplier/quantity) the price of polyester resin.

A classic case where "you get what you pay for" is true.

Cheers

Edited by Oz Jon, 16 November 2017 - 02:38 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fishing