Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Local time: 04:40 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:45 PM

PDFs / eBook Resources - You will see some great finds listed here.

Aquaponic Gardening, Sylvia Bernstein: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together

Attached File  Aquaponic Gardening.pdf   7.65MB   75 downloads

Backyard Liberty: The Smart, Easy Way To Food Independence

Attached File  BackyardLiberty.pdf   3.91MB   75 downloads

Barrel-Ponics (aka Aquaponics in a barrel) - Travis W. Hughey

Attached File  Barrel-Ponics.pdf   3.1MB   45 downloads

Practical Aquaponics (TotePonics v.4) - Murray Hallam's Practical Aquaponics (A MUST READ! VERY DETAILED!)

Attached File  TotePonicsVer4.pdf   1.96MB   157 downloads

Aquaponics Common Sense Guide - Detailed time saving eBook for the newbie to aquaponics systems.

Attached File  Aquaponics_Common_Sense_Guide.pdf   594.42KB   116 downloads

The IBC of Aquaponics - Exclusively about using IBC totes for aquaponics systems.

Attached File  IBCofAquaponics.pdf   37.31MB   36 downloads

CTSA (Center for Tropical and Subtropical Aquaculture)

How to Build and Operate a Simple Small-to-Large Scale Aquaponics System

Attached File  CTSA_aquaponicsHowTo.pdf   8.64MB   98 downloads

Aquaponics Info - A great informational source for the newbie to Aquaponics. Marvin A. Hodges researched for over four months, initially, to gather all information contained in this file. (The attached updated PDF is from 2013.)

Attached File  Aquaponics Info.pdf   476.13KB   76 downloads

Aquaponics Fact Sheet

Attached File  aquaponics_factsheet.pdf   371.79KB   57 downloads

Small-Scale Aquaponic Food Production - I have the full 288 page version of this file. If you wish to download the full 42 Megabyte file, as well as all other PDFs in this post, you may do so from my DropBox Aquaponics files link, LOCATED HERE. Alternatively, the FAO site is linked below.

Attached File  i4021e00.pdf   380.77KB   136 downloads

Attached File  Home _Gardening_Cambodia.pdf   4.24MB   158 downloads - Home Gardening Cambodia - An EXCELLENT resource, which also gives you the months of the year, and which plants are suitable for sewing and reaping during each month. The calendar starts on pg 76 (pg 64 on the file itself).

Websites

FAO Website - Small-Scale Aquaponic Food Production (PDF) Information & Download Page

Practical Aquaponics

Backyard Aquaponics

Top 7 Aquaponics Fish Species

Recommended Plants and Fish in Aquaponics

Sexing Tilapia: An Easy Way to Determine Gender

The long and short of sexing Tilapia, is:

The dye accentuates the anus and genitalia of the fish and the difference is clear. (They use food coloring to highlight the different physiological characteristics of the fish.)

Male Tilapia have a tapered shape below the anus, whereas the female have a more rounded shape with a triangular indentation in the center.
(Female is on left. Male is on right.)
fish-2_10241-1024x576.png

YouTube Channels - All links are to each user's "videos" page.

Rob Bob's Backyard Farming - Hobbyist / Self-sustaining Australian very knowledgeable about aquaponics.

Bright Agrotech - Commercial operation. But, good resource.

Donald Porta - Has some very good videos on Aquaponics. Check his play lists to save time searching for them all.

Murray Hallam Aquaponics - Naturally, we have to add this fellow's channel. He has some great information out there. (Commercial operation.)

Edited by Paul, 08 September 2016 - 02:43 PM.

• Mikala and andy like this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:10 AM

I like the shown INDY 23 System. Basic proven system. Very much like my home build.

Backyard Aquaponics - Good information site.

Fish - for Cambodia, best use Tilapia.

Plants - home growers choice. Depending what users, home food or profit. What is in demand. What you enjoy growing.

Good informative post Paul. 

#3 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:30 AM

I like the shown INDY 23 System. Basic proven system. Very much like my home build.

Backyard Aquaponics - Good information site.

Fish - for Cambodia, best use Tilapia.

Plants - home growers choice. Depending what users, home food or profit. What is in demand. What you enjoy growing.

Good informative post Paul. 

Oh, I will keep adding to it, as I have done with the other resource threads. In fact, I have more information to add to them that I have still to add to those threads.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#4 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:00 AM

This guy as a variety of systems on the go!

https://youtu.be/sz20zUiTLUk

This man is a little local to my location, and has made a few interesting videos! Nice easy budget builds.

https://youtu.be/1qHjOYQOA28

All the items should be available in Cambodia! Putting the fish tank in the ground would help with cooling.

https://youtu.be/auk7GR3qP9k

Improved system 

Edited by andy, 13 February 2016 - 04:30 AM.

• Paul likes this

#5 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

This man is a little local to my location, and has made a few interesting videos! Nice easy budget builds.

I like the idea he has, regarding the plumbing and using a "U" siphon. One pipe both fills and drains the grow beds. No need for a bell siphon in each grow bed. This is the first system I have seen online, like this. Definitely unique. 

I took a screenshot of his drawing, for those interested parties (click here to view his channel):

Screenshot 2016-02-13 07.28.jpg

I just realized clicking the image will not take you to his channel. I will add text instead.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#6 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

Grow Beds

When planning a system to build, we will think of what materials and what components? What is easy for me! the person constructing. What will last longer, What is available, and at what price?

gb2.PNG

Easy and ready made. I do not know the availability in Cambodia, or price.

gb1.PNG

Easy to make at any size! would have to line out. All materials widely available in Cambodia, and costs to suit.

gb3.PNG

Easy to make, again can make to suit! Can add more beds at any time. $5-10per barrel?  Available in Cambodia

gb4.PNG

This I like! Lots of good metal workers in Cambodia. Again can be made to suit. Shape and size.

Plus there are also options to make beds out of concrete too. 

Edited by andy, 14 February 2016 - 06:28 AM.

• Paul likes this

#7 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

Can add more beds at any time. $5-10per barrel?  Available in Cambodia

The blue plastic 55 gallon drums / barrels cost $25 USD / each, here in Battambang. I have been looking for the large IBC totes, but have yet to find them. I know they have them in Phnom Penh. Just trying to see if there are any here, first. 

What will last longer, What is available, and at what price?

PVC is widely available. Not so sure I would want to use as much of it as it would take, to build a support for barrel beds, though. 

Recently got pricing on wood, at $460 USD per cubic meter (~422 board feet). That was for cheaper wood, I was told. Of course, this is only from one supplier, so far.

This I like! Lots of good metal workers in Cambodia. Again can be made to suit. Shape and size.

Not sure how you would make metal water tight? I like the idea though. Would be an original one for this area, for sure.  

Personally, I like the cinder block and wood plank idea that Murray has, for the IBC totes. (I took a couple of screenshots from his PDF.)

Screenshot 2016-02-14 11.jpg

Screenshot 2016-02-14 11.17.jpg

BL01 (Small).jpg

Edited by Paul, 14 February 2016 - 11:51 AM.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#8 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

IBC (intermediate bulk container). These are an excellent choice for Aquapoinics use, strong, durable and long lasting. I have not looked for them in Cambodia! I have sourced them in Thailand before at the price of 2500bhat.

When I was looking around the countryside deep in Prey Veng Provence, There came along two guys with a moto and home made trailer, with about 50 or more blue plastic barrels selling to locals. I was amazed it was stacked up like an articulated HGV powered by a Honda Dream.  

#9 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

IBC (intermediate bulk container). These are an excellent choice for Aquapoinics use, strong, durable and long lasting. I have not looked for them in Cambodia! I have sourced them in Thailand before at the price of 2500bhat.

Last year, I took a short trip over to Thailand. I saw the IBC totes there. I have yet to see any here in Battambang. I am heading to PP tomorrow morning and will have a look while there, for them. If I am unable to buy any for under $100 USD each, I will just go with the 55 gallon plastic barrels for my systems. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#10 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:51 AM

Paul with building a system! The key is to build it to last, and to your needs, and also budgets. We have talked about many different ways and materials in this post. IBC totes and plastic barrels are ideal and instant. You have now been researching and planning your system! I think you have learnt so much since you have started this new venture.

I will try to give you a little example of grow beds, and hope it will help you, to think more of size, needs and costs.

The blue plastic 55 gallon drums / barrels cost $25 USD / each, here in Battambang - Cut in half - two grow beds of 27.5 gallons. @125liters per grow bed.

So an example, to double this - four grow beds - total growing area @500liters at a cost of $50 plus grow bed support, blocks and wood.

To now think of this option - Concrete grow bed - Base Slab 3meter x 1.5meter x 150mm = 0.675 cubic meters.

Side walls 9meter x 300mm x 150mm   = 0.405 cubic meters. Plus Re-Bar? Price.

Total 1.080 cubic meters of concrete, which you had a quote for your house build of $60 a cubic meter.

To build a grow bed like I would suggest here would give you a growing area of 4.5meter x 1.5meter. @ 1350liters - 297 gallons.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, fish farming