Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Local time: 04:45 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

Hey. About to go to PP for a day or two to pick up my new passport. will reply when home. 

To build a grow bed like I would suggest here would give you a growing area of 4.5meter x 1.5meter. @ 1350liters - 297 gallons.  

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#12 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:04 AM

Have a good trip! Hope you have time to go to the Hydroponic centre.

#13 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:05 AM

To build a grow bed like I would suggest here would give you a growing area of 4.5meter x 1.5meter. @ 1350liters - 297 gallons.  

My apologies to all interested parties! My Math/Calculation was not accurate on the post (of the growing area of the bed).

Now I have made amendments and updated here.

dgb.png

I have made a simple diagram above with outside and inside measurements.

The grow bed area is calculated from the inside measurement (less 50mm from the top of the walls).

0.81metre cubed, 178gallon, 809litres. 

#14 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:40 PM

attachicon.gifdgb.png

I have made a simple diagram above with outside and inside measurements.

The grow bed area is calculated from the inside measurement (less 50mm from the top of the walls).

0.81metre cubed, 178gallon, 809litres. 

You didn't mention the thickness of the bottom of the tank. I calculated out at 10cm (4") thick. At that thickness for the bottom, it would come to about .418 m3 concrete for the walls and .457 m3 concrete for the floor. .875 mtotal, per fish tank. Would be pretty danged reasonably priced. Still under 1 cubic meter of concrete for every tank built.

Unfortunately, that is a problem for me. Those concrete tanks could not be moved once poured in place.

At the moment, I am not even ready to build our home yet. I am still waiting for dirt in the pond to settle, where the house would be built. (That, in itself, isn't much of an issue. We could easily move there any time we wanted, and build the home accordingly. Then, I need to plan for the two different systems. I imagine I can easily put them both under one roof. But, I want them to be somewhat portable, so they can be relocated on the property, as necessary.

Also, while we had tons of luck concerning blue plastic drums, we were unable to locate the source of the IBC totes in Phnom Penh. Chan and I did, however, locate a source for hydroponics supplies, including pumps, tubing, fittings, grow media, net cups, and even packs of seeds. (I will start another topic on my findings in PP.)

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#15 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

Grow Bed.

I was thinking of this idea and design a little more today. I think I would possibly go with this kind of grow bed.

The good qualities about it - is it is built to last and can be moved if needed. The use can be of any size you wish, it can be filled with growing media Gravel and Clay Balls, or used for floating rafts.

First a strong sturdy frame, made of 40mm box section steel. (There are many good metal fabricators in Cambodia).

Lined with Plyboard then a Tarpaulin membrane held along the top of the grow bed with 40mm x 10mm steel, tightened and held in place via nut and bolts. The grow bed will use a U-Syphon so no cutting into any bed materials. And then set at any height desired by the aid of concrete blocks. 

sgb.png  

Cut away illustration -

Gray - Steel

Blue - Tarpaulin

Brown - Plyboard

• Paul likes this

#16 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

First a strong sturdy frame, made of 40mm box section steel. (There are many good metal fabricators in Cambodia).

I agree. There are some weldin' fools in this country! Considering a 55 gallon drum is going to weigh in around 208 kilograms, maybe a bit less with the clay pellets taking up a considerable amount of space, I want to have good, sturdy frames to hold them.

However, I am still considering wood, too. I guess it depends on what I can get a hold of first / fastest, when the time comes.

we were unable to locate the source of the IBC totes in Phnom Penh.

A fellow south of Phnom Penh, who seems very knowledgeable about Aquaponics, said (today) that he has a lead for me on the IBC totes in Phnom Penh. Says I may be able to get them for around $100 USD, each. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#17 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

Nice easy system.

https://youtu.be/rSoGnGuunS4

All parts available in Cambodia.

#18 scoffer

scoffer

Regular Poster

• 65 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 07:45 AM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I have been looking at various systems over the past 2 yrs, but don't fully understand them yet.

My original thinking was to set up a small system in my place in Oz.

But things change,

Chances are quite strong I'll be moving to Cambodia in 8-12 months time.  

I might do some trial and error set up's at my wife's family home just to see how things go.

• Paul and andy like this

#19 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

My original thinking was to set up a small system in my place in Oz.

That's all we did. We set up our small (3 meters X 4 meters) system to learn what we needed to. Books and internet searches / reading can only do so much for you. Hands on? Now, that's where you learn - often from your mistakes! :)

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, fish farming