TBar123

Want to teach

TBar123

Trying to find out the skinny on what the minimum requirements are to teach English in Cambodia. I've read a range of responses and information that vary considerably. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

John_Galt

Trying to find out the skinny on what the minimum requirements are to teach English in Cambodia. I've read a range of responses and information that vary considerably. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Show up.

Speak English.

Look presentable. 

Tell them you plan on staying for at least a year.

If you have a Degree tell them and be able to show them the paper work. You might get a little more money.

Some schools will only hire you if you have a degree.

• Like 3

Parrothead

Tom, John is a local English teacher here in Battambang. We also have other members who are as well. One member is currently out of the country teaching, in fact. 

• Like 1

TBar123

Thank you Paul and John. Very helpful! I had read where some schools required additional teaching credentials.

John, how long have you been teaching in Battambang?

John_Galt

Thank you Paul and John. Very helpful! I had read where some schools required additional teaching credentials.

John, how long have you been teaching in Battambang?

I have been teaching for almost 1 year.

Expected pay would be $7 - $12 per hour 

Expected Salary would be $500 - $1200 but in Battambang $700 ish is what you will probably get for teaching 20-25 hours with no experience. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

I had read where some schools required additional teaching credentials.

Here is a file, Tom, of a local school seeking teachers at the moment. 

FullTime_EnglishTeacher.pdf

• Like 1

dicey eye

There are many teaching gigs available in Cambodia. I taught or was a principal for 7 years in Cambo. The big drawback in a nutshell is pay - bluntly put, it sucks. For example the job announcement Paul posted is a school I was admin at. They pay $800 at month for a 40 hr classroom teaching plus foreign teachers are required to sit at the front gate to meet and greet parents for an additional 2 hrs a day which sums out to an extra 10 hrs per week.If you can handle the hours, go for it. There are probably over 100 schools scattered over Cambo that would be glad to hire a westerner with no teaching experience. That said, the pay still sucks.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1

TBar123

Thank you all for the candid info. I had read the pay was the biggest drawback. I'm still going to try and visit next month. I can make it work and am excited to return to Cambodia.

dicey eye

Let me clarify my post on teaching hours - the hours I cited are exclusively for USAIS. Not the hundreds of other schools in Cambo. USAIS requires the most hours - with the meet-and-greet and the classroom hours it comes to 50 hours per week. USAIS pays $200 per week - which translates that you are working for $4 per hour, not including your time for lesson plans.

The majority of schools outside of Phnom Penh have around a 25 hr per week load and pay plus-or-minus $150 per week, sometimes $175 per week.

In Phnom Penh, the 25 hr teaching week is about the same - some schools like Go-Go International have a 20 hr week and pay $900 per month. Though cost of living in PP is higher than the districts.

In Sihanoukville and Kampot and Battambang I never paid more than $60 per month for my apartment. In PP I ponied up $225 per month. So the extra salary you earn in PP is eaten up by housing costs.

For the record: I am now teaching in Myanmar, (great pay, 3 or 4 times that of Cambo for 20 hr wk) there is considerable age bias here - and I’m 69 yr old. So there is a strong possibility I’ll be back in Cambo come March trolling for another teaching gig.

andy

I have been teaching for almost 1 year.

Expected pay would be $7 - $12 per hour 

Expected Salary would be $500 - $1200 but in Battambang $700 ish is what you will probably get for teaching 20-25 hours with no experience. 

Let me clarify my post on teaching hours - the hours I cited are exclusively for USAIS. Not the hundreds of other schools in Cambo. USAIS requires the most hours - with the meet-and-greet and the classroom hours it comes to 50 hours per week. USAIS pays $200 per week - which translates that you are working for $4 per hour, not including your time for lesson plans.

Two experienced teachers on this Forum. Good advice. And shows the little discrepancies in the working hours expected from the schools, to the related pay. But the agreement on pay is $700 per month in Battambang.

TBar123 I don't know your age or country you are coming from, or reasons why you would want to teach in Cambodia.

We all have different reasons to move and possibly work around the world.

I do not have a University Degree. But some years ago I attended a full time 2 years education course, and achieved a National Diploma in Business Studies and Outdoor Pursuits. This Diploma and other relevant certificates allowed me to work in Europe, where I was to teach children and adults in outdoor activities. Specializing in Sailing. Canoe/Kayak and Rock Climbing.  

I know of two male English Teachers in Thailand, They both resided in the same apartment block has I did in Pattaya. One was English and had no qualifications, (how he was allowed to teach? Thailand are very strict with overseas teachers having a degree and a TEFL certificate). But he taught in a secondary school for a monthly wage of only 15000baht.

The other man was Russian (with his English being a second language. But he had the qualifications). He worked in a school for 30000baht per month. He also conducted private lessons at home, for 1000baht per hour.

When I was last in Cambodia, I was to help a few local people with their English! (They had approached and asked me). I had found the Cambodians to be shy to start with. But I set aside a few hours per day. I bought books in Khmer and English to help.

I enjoyed the experience.

Now to think about the hours and money (salary) for the teaching job! SE Asia is not the West. Hours are long, but what else would you do with your time? Has for the money, I have a western friend who works in a bar for more hours, six days a week and earns $200 per month.

So I can have a breakdown of the $700 how I live in Cambodia! Not Battambang (I have not visited yet).

I will base it on another city that I have stayed. (I did end up with a house). But in this instance (post) I will keep it simple.

I hear you PhuketRichard! "ANDY YOU HAVE GONE NATIVE" :dance1: Or Crazy!!!

Hotel with fan, hot water, TV and daily clean $100 per month.

​(Own room - You clean alone, buy bedding, sometimes furniture and TV). 

Food - daily working week. Morning - Banana or Pineapple pancakes with syrup $1.50. Evening - One Pot Local food $1.50.

Noddle's $1 to $1.50 Fried rice with meat and veg $1.50. Curry, Soups and beget $2. All meals with free Cambodian Tea. Lots of choices.

Drinks - I love Coffee! I would buy a kettle for use in the Hotel room $4. Coffee 3in1 24 cups $2. (one weeks supply). Beer $0.50.

Cambodian home brew Whisky per bottle $0.75. Water large container - $5 refill $1.

(Daily living cost breakdown). Considering not holiday/Working and living. Giving time to prepare school work etc.

Monday       - Breakfast (Pancakes) $1.50. Evening meal (One Pot) $1.50.

Tuesday      - Breakfast (Rice Soup) $1.50. Evening meal (Curry) $2.00.

Wednesday - Breakfast (One Pot) $1.50. Evening meal (Fried rice) $1.50. Bar - 2 Beers $1-$2 play pool.

Thursday     - Breakfast (Pancakes) $1.50. Evening meal (Noddle's) $1.00.

Friday          - Breakfast (Rice Soup) $1.50. Evening meal (One Pot) $1.50. Local Night Club - Tower Beer + free pitcher $10

(too much to dance and drink alone)! Lady companion $10.

Saturday      - Lunch (Fruit) $2. Chicken Farm $15. Evening meal for two (Soup and Whisky) $7.

Sunday        - Lunch (Rice Soup) $1.50. Evening meal (Western Sunday Dinner and wine) $10.

Total $72.50

Monthly $290 + Hotel $100 + Laundry $40 + Four oil massages $40 + Hair cut $1.25 + Coffee $8 + Drinking water $2 Total = $481.25

So looking at the School Salary of $700 it would give me an happy living, and savings of $218.75 per month.

Edited by andy
  • Like 3