Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Local time: 08:06 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Today, we went out and about looking to find price updates, primarily, on 50 / 55 gallon blue plastic barrels. When looking for these, one must exercise extreme caution.

Some of the barrels you may come across, will have contained hazardous materials in them. This could be anything from acids, to resin colorants. Take note that these barrels will rarely still have the Haz-Mat labels on them. So, it may be a bit difficult to determine which ones contained chemicals, and which ones contained human consumption / safe products.

One Haz-Mat chemical commonly found in these barrels, was "Reactint Black X77". I'm not going to research it. But, I know I do NOT want to use barrels that this was shipped in. When you open the bung on the barrel, you will find this chemical to look almost like the black ink in a writing pen.

Fortunately, I was able to find some barrels that were only used to ship dish washing liquid soap. I figure, after a good washing or two, they should be fine to house fish, plants, etc.

It gets better. 

Previously, the lowest price Chan had received while pricing these barrels a couple of years ago, was $25 USD. At that time, the prices were non-negotiable. Now, however, they are not only negotiable, but some negotiated lower prices themselves!

The first place wanted $24.50, non-negotiable. (So, we were thinking prices had not changed on them, much.) He only had the chemical barrels though. Made it a point to tell Chan we would not find any cheaper, or any other types of barrels. (Right. Gotcha!) So, that was our clue to head off to the next supplier. 

About the second or third place we stopped, the man told us $21.25 for the soap barrels. However, when asked how many we would probably want (I told them six to start and asked if they would go to $20), they dropped the price to $19.50 per barrel. So, $117 USD will fetch us six barrels, a capacities of 208 liters (55 gallons) each. 

IMG_2141_r.jpg

Ironically, although a bit smaller, 50 gallons, the barrels with the black lids on them are sold for a whopping $31.50 each!! I'm glad I am not in the market for them. Well, they would make for pretty good swirl or solids filter barrels.

IMG_2144_r.jpg

The containers, jugs? bottles? are sold at just under $1.00 USD each. (I believe the actual cost was 3,800r, each.) Might be an idea for later, if thinking about expanding and trying a different grow system.

• Monkey Brains, Mikala and andy like this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 Kenny

Kenny

GREGARIOUS LONER

• Forum Owner
  • 3,138 posts
  • 1,243 topics
  • Local time: 09:06 AM
  • LocationGold Coast QLD & Cambodia when I can.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

Fortunately, I was able to find some barrels that were only used to ship dish washing liquid soap. I figure, after a good washing or two, they should be fine to house fish, plants, etc

A real , REAL good wash Paul.

The slightest trace of detergent will affect fish by compromising their slime coating.

But that's a hell of a good price for those barrels.

• Paul and andy like this
Kenny
"Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects"

#3 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

A real , REAL good wash Paul.

The slightest trace of detergent will affect fish by compromising their slime coating.

But that's a hell of a good price for those barrels.

Check. Will do. At least they don't have acid, or some other residue that I would not even want to try to wash out. 

I tell ya, she didn't get so negotiable until after I mentioned the numbers of drums I wanted. I wonder if she would be even more negotiable for more barrels. I'm sure I could find some use for them around the farm. 

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#4 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,687 posts
  • 90 topics

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

Something I was working on lately. The wooden frame to hold the grow-beds.

WP_20160224_002.jpg

WP_20160224_001.jpg

Thinking to use the blue barrels, you will need a frame!

So maybe I look To deep sometimes! But this is what I see in the photo!

wick.PNG

The long wicker basket! (how many dollars)? Ideal grow bed with a plastic lining inserted (such as Tarpaulin). And use of U syphon no holes to cut.   

• Paul likes this

#5 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

The long wicker basket! (how many dollars)? Ideal grow bed with a plastic lining inserted (such as Tarpaulin). And use of U syphon no holes to cut.   

LOL. I have no idea. I had not even noticed them. (I will be very careful when showing you images in the future. LOL)

I am quite certain they would not be strong enough to use. 

I viewed a video where a guy even used half cut plastic barrels, like those in this thread. He did not provide proper support and the sides bowed out. He had to go back, drain them, and build a better support rail around the outside perimeter of the half barrels.

Edited by Paul, 25 February 2016 - 08:20 PM.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#6 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,687 posts
  • 90 topics

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:53 AM

The point is the strength is in the frame! the basket, yes needs a certain amount of strength like the now weekend half barrel! But it is only the vessel.  

#7 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Uniseal1.jpg  - Uniseals and Bulkheads for barrels and IBC totes.

I rang them up a day or two ago. They did not have Cambodia on their list of countries to ship to. After talking with the guy, he told me he would sort it out to ship to me, here in Battambang. I thought that was really nice of him to do.

I will be doing business with these folks pretty soon. 

Edited by Paul, 27 February 2016 - 06:44 PM.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, barrels, bottles, jugs, aquaponics water storage, tanks