Oz Jon

Visa for <6mo for Oz tourist?

Oz Jon

After Googling the net, reading the Cambodian Embassy's visa info and a scan through this forum - I still can't figure out what's involved in obtaining a visa to "semi-live" in Cambodia for a few days short of 6 Months every year.

[ Best for me to reside in Oz  for a bit more than 6mo/year to retain "Australian Resident Status"]

Is some kind of visa available that doesn't require me to do multiple BI visits, or visa runs during those less than 6 mo stays?

How do I get that visa and at what price?

Can I get it on arrival?

or do I need to get it from the Cambodian Embassy in Oz?

I have enough Oz income to live in Cambodia, but I don't want to get involved in Cambodian investments/income guarantees, etc of the kind usually required for retirement visas.

I like simple - uncomplicated!

Any knowledgeable 2016 advice would be appreciated

Cheers!

Edited by Oz Jon

Guest Kenny

Paul's more up to date on visas Jon but from memory you pay a few hundred and get a six or twelve month visa. No need to visit BI. A travel agent like Motta will do it for you.

phuketrichard

fly in; ( not all land borders will issue them) Note an online E-visa is no good

get an ordinary visa ( $35+ 1 photo)

next day or anytime with in 1 month ur visa is valid for, visit any travel  agent in the country an have them get you a 6 month or 1 year extension ( $180-190, 270-290)

wait a few days and collect ur passport with the extension.

very simple/hassle free

• Like 1

Parrothead

How do I get that visa and at what price?
Can I get it on arrival?
or do I need to get it from the Cambodian Embassy in Oz?

Like Richard said, $35 upon arrival, for your first month. 

Here is my suggestion, though. Plan your travel dates out so you don't have to pay the additional $35 upon entry each time. Initially come into the country and purchase your one month stay business visa at $35 USD. within two weeks, send your passport to buy a one-year, multiple entry visa. Stay maybe 5.5 months, return to Oz for 6 months. That gives you two weeks to return on the current visa, so you do not pay another $35 dollar one-month visa upon entry. After arriving, send your passport off for another one year visa. About $296 USD for a one year multiple entry visa. A six month visa is going to be something like $181. Then, you have the $35 on top of that. Much more cost effective to plan your trip so you can always come back in on the current one-year, multiple entry visa, then renew it after arrival.

Oz Jon

Here is my suggestion, though.......

OMG Paul, you have finessed the game to the limit!- LOL!

That sounds like a neat solution.

I presume that the initial 30day business $35 visa is available on arrival, just like a normal 30day tourist visa?

Does 12mo "multiple entry" mean that (within the 12 month validity) I could fly in and out of Cambodia several times with no further visa needs? - If so, that sounds like a very good arrangement.

Edited by Oz Jon

phuketrichard

Like Richard said, $35 upon arrival, for your first month. 

Here is my suggestion, though. Plan your travel dates out so you don't have to pay the additional $35 upon entry each time. Initially come into the country and purchase your one month stay business visa at $35 USD. within two weeks, send your passport to buy a one-year, multiple entry visa. Stay maybe 5.5 months, return to Oz for 6 months. That gives you two weeks to return on the current visa, so you do not pay another $35 dollar one-month visa upon entry. After arriving, send your passport off for another one year visa. About $296 USD for a one year multiple entry visa. A six month visa is going to be something like $181. Then, you have the $35 on top of that. Much more cost effective to plan your trip so you can always come back in on the current one-year, multiple entry visa, then renew it after arrival.

wtf:

so spend $290 vs $185 and for what,  to lose $80 or so ( 290-185 ( 1 year vs 6 months) = $105-35 ( what you would pay for a single entry) =80)

Paul  WAKE UP

or did i miss something

Edited by phuketrichard

Parrothead
I presume that the initial 30day business $35 visa is available on arrival, just like a normal 30day tourist visa?

Yes, when you arrive at the airport.

If you cross by land, though, typically they will scalp you for more money.

Does 12mo "multiple entry" mean that (within the 12 month validity) I could fly in and out of Cambodia several times with no further visa needs? - If so, that sounds like a very good arrangement.

Unlimited multiple entries. This applies to both the six-month and one-year visas.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

dicey eye

Paul quote: "If you cross by land, though, typically they will scalp you for more money." 

I went the land route recently and still have all my hair, (paid the standard fee) -

Edited by dicey eye

Parrothead

wtf:

so spend $290 vs $185 and for what,  to lose $80 or so ( 290-185 ( 1 year vs 6 months) = $105-35 ( what you would pay for a single entry) =80)

Paul  WAKE UP

or did i miss something

One Year Plan

Initial entry: $35

Extend 1 year: $296

Leave between 5 and 6 months. 

Return to Cambodia after 6 months in Australia: Free

After return, extend visa again for one year. 

Leave again between 5 and 6 months.

$35 + $296 = $331

Six Month Plan

Initial entry: $35

Extend six months: $183

Leave prior to 6 months. 

Return to Cambodia after 6 months in Australia: $35

Extend visa again for six months. $183

Leave again before 6 months.

$35 + $183 + $35 + $183 = $436

$436 - $331 = $105

It's only $105 USD difference. However, it also saves him time in having to fill out a new form and having to wait in line for another one month visa, upon his return to Cambodia. If I were to stay here only six months at a time, and in another country for six months, I would definitely go that route. I don't like waiting in lines, anywhere. 

A penny saved...

• Like 1

Parrothead

I went the land route recently and still have all my hair, (paid the standard fee) - no scalps to be seen anywhere near the immigration office.

Not sure I follow? Are you saying you went to the immigration office directly, to get your visa?