RSS Bot

Mother Earth: Is Solar Really Worth It?

RSS Bot

Every solar company has a variation of the same sales pitch, but whether solar is a smart long-term investment for you depends on a few major factors. Before you buy into the hype, use this simple guide to cut through the sales jargon.

View the full article

Oz Jon

Interesting article - Thanks!

I'd like to use solar in Melbourne (Australia), primarily for winter heating.

But every time I've run the $ numbers for solar PV (with storage/mains-connection) it doesn't pay off.

Interestingly though, a DIY solar water heater and storage could be cost effective.

Retail ones are a bit expensive to buy, but DIY is practical and much more interesting/challenging/cheaper!

I need storage, because we need the heat in the Winter evenings. So the DIY idea is to heat water (convenient, cheap storage) during the day and use it to heat the house in the evenings.

I've added it to my extensive list of things to do one day! - Lol!

Parrothead

Interestingly though, a DIY solar water heater and storage could be cost effective.
Retail ones are a bit expensive to buy, but DIY is practical and much more interesting/challenging/cheaper!

Thermosyphon is a very popular way to heat water. About the cheapest as well.

andy

Just put up a stainless water tank on the roof, the water will burn your butt here by mid afternoon :yahoo:

Edited by andy
  • Like 1

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.