Photo
- - - - -

The Aquaponics Build (lots of images to view)

aquaponics aquaponics build ibc totes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Local time: 11:24 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

As they say, first things first. 

Step 1.

The first totes were delivered today. One will be the first fish tank. The other will be a sump.

IMG_2303_r.jpg

IMG_2304_r.jpg

IMG_2312_r.jpg

Total Costs To Date: 

2,500฿ ($71.00 USD) for each tote

$10.00 USD Customs (they should have pulled a gun)

$20.00 USD Tank delivery to Battambang.

$24.00 USD (2 trips, one person) Taxi fare (travel expenses) to border and back.

Total: $196.00 USD / ฿6911 THB / ៛802914.00 KHR

Some good news is, the dealer we purchased the totes from will now deal with us via phone, in the future. If we need any further totes, they will ship them to us without having to return to the border to deal with them.

=====================================================================

NOTE: This thread will offer information, images, and expenses involved in the planning, purchasing, labor, construction and planting, of a 3 meters by 4 meters aquaponics system located in Battambang, Cambodia.

Edited by Paul, 27 July 2016 - 07:07 AM.

• andy and TBar123 like this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

The first guys came by today, to give us estimates on the greenhouse, (possible) rainwater harvesting system, grow bed tables, etc. We should hear from them tomorrow. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#3 phuketrichard

phuketrichard

Posting Addict

• 1,508 posts
  • 97 topics

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

curious; with all this investment/work , are u planing this as a business or just something to occupy ur time and pick up some free veggies and fish?

#4 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

curious; with all this investment/work , are u planing this as a business or just something to occupy ur time and pick up some free veggies and fish?

Yes, and yes. Well, primarily, it is to see how good I can get at growing plants - vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc., for us to personally consume. At the same time, I am going to attempt to do this for some local shop owners who have requested for me to give it a shot.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#5 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:46 PM

Step 2.

I tested the tap water here at the house, mainly to learn how to use my API Freshwater Master Test Kit I purchased from Sky Aquatics, in Phnom Penh. This test kit cost $45 USD. (In the US, it would have been $20 - $25 USD.) The kit will be able to provide me with about 800 test results. I plan on testing at least every week, once the system is up and running - and through its cycling stage.

first_api_water_test.jpg

1. Ammonia - between 0 and .25 ppm
2. Nitrates - between 0 and 5 ppm
3. Nitrites - 0 ppm
4. pH Level - 7.6

I will test some rainwater tomorrow, to see how close they are in results. That will be a determining factor, as well as a more complete water test for the tap water, regarding which water I will use for the system. Personally, I thought the city water would have been of too poor quality to use for aquaponics. However, I am now questioning that thought. 

Total: $45.00

Edited by Paul, 20 June 2016 - 08:09 PM.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#6 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 273 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 03:24 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

Step 2.

I tested the tap water here at the house, mainly to learn how to use my API Freshwater Master Test Kit I purchased from Sky Aquatics, in Phnom Penh. This test kit cost $45 USD. (In the US, it would have been $20 - $25 USD.) The kit will be able to provide me with about 800 test results. I plan on testing at least every week, once the system is up and running - and through its cycling stage.

attachicon.giffirst_api_water_test.jpg

1. Ammonia - between 0 and .25 ppm
2. Nitrates - between 0 and 5 ppm
3. Nitrites - 0 ppm
4. pH Level - 7.6

I will test some rainwater tomorrow, to see how close they are in results. That will be a determining factor, as well as a more complete water test for the tap water, regarding which water I will use for the system. Personally, I thought the city water would have been of too poor quality to use for aquaponics. However, I am now questioning that thought. 

I know nothing about the local water supply (or aquaponics) but my guess would be that the local town water supply has been chlorinated.

That form of chlorine may be a problem for fish, even though they don't seem to have a problem with NaCl (ordinary sea salt) in their water.

I didn't see any chlorine test solutions in your impressive chemistry set - Lol!

I vaguely remember from high school chemistry (a half century ago! - but the chemistry will still be the same) that silver nitrate solution is used to test for chlorides - it forms a distinctive white AgCl precipitate reaction .

• andy likes this

#7 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,742 posts
  • 97 topics

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

The pH level is only a little high in the city water, the fish like it somewhere around 7.0 pH which is the neutral point for water, and most plants like somewhere around 6.0 which is a slightly acidic soil medium. The trick is to keep your system somewhere between the two ranges at somewhere around 6.5 pH to get the best average across all plant types, and enough that the fish are also happy. Now you just have to sort out naturally to lower the pH.

#8 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

That form of chlorine may be a problem for fish

If the water is treated with chlorine, and not chloramine, it should evaporate within twenty-four hours, if left in an uncovered container. Then, it will not harm the fish.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#9 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:32 AM

Tested some rainwater a bit ago. Granted, it has been sitting in a 2,000 liters stainless steel water tank for a week. I will probably test some fresh rainwater, as soon as we get a bit more rain.

1. Ammonia 0.0
2. Nitrates 5.0
3. Nitrites 0.0
4. pH  Level 6.8

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#10 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

Greenhouse Information:

So far, we have had two estimates on constructing a greenhouse. The first was $700 USD for a 28 square meter greenhouse with the plastic (poly) covering and shade cloth on all four sides, to the ground. We negotiated them down, so far, to $650 USD.

They also quoted a 15 square meter greenhouse at $480 USD. Same plastic / shade cloth.

Both would be with one, 4 - 1/2 drum rack for ebb and flow beds. 

Second estimate was $700 for 28 square meters, no covering. 15 square meters, $500, no covering. 

I think we are going to buy a welder and our own materials. 

• syzmic likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, aquaponics build, ibc totes