Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Local time: 11:21 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:27 PM

Bought a new aquarium today. A friend is about to ship some Tilapia fingerlings to me. So, I wanted to make sure I have a well aerated tank available for them, when they arrive. (The image was actually taken prior to us returning the pump shown, for another, larger unit that I am now running.)

IMG_2357_r.jpg

The tank holds about 70 liters of water, maximum capacity. So, it should provide a large enough home for my fish, until I get my system cycled - hopefully. 

Depending on what fish I end up going with, as my primary fish for the system, this tank may later be used for a breeding tank, or possibly a nursery.

Edited by Paul, 16 June 2016 - 01:14 AM.

• Mikala and andy like this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

Well, we received 11 fish after 1pm, today. He was going to send between 10 and 12 fingerling Tilapia, by taxi. He did. However, in that four hours in the taxi, some of these fellas grew a bit, up to 16cm, a few of them. So, the tank is a bit small for these fish. I was starting to buy a much larger tank at the time, but backed out of it at the last minute. I figured they couldn't possibly grow that much in four hours. :D (He just had not seen what sizes he had available, prior to bagging the fish to ship.)

Anyway, here are a few shots of the first fish of the new C&P AP System, in beautiful Southside Battambang Town, Cambodia. 

2016-06-15 13.35.18_r.jpg

2016-06-15 13.35.32_r.jpg

They even ate, although I didn't believe they would.

2016-06-15 13.44.14_r.jpg

They eat a lot...

2016-06-15 13.44.19_r.jpg

Really, a lot!

2016-06-15 13.44.23_r.jpg

Then, they shit as much as they ate, I believe.

2016-06-15 14.08.06_r.jpg

They seem okay, even after such a long ride. If they all survive this, they will definitely have shown me they are rock solid fish. 

• Monkey Brains and Mikala like this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#3 Mikala

Mikala

Father Mike

• Forum Sponsor
  • 198 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 12:21 PM
  • LocationDumaguete

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

It looks good Paul. I'm looking forward to learning more about raising fish with hydroponics (aquaponics?).

• Paul likes this

#4 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

It looks good Paul. I'm looking forward to learning more about raising fish with hydroponics (aquaponics?).

Well, for the moment, my system - it seems, will become a aquaculture system. I am thinking of going ahead and building a swirl filter and flowing bio-media bed filter, to cycle directly back to the fish tank. This would be solely so I could go ahead and get the fish into a larger tank. 

Later, by adding hydroponics to it, the system will become an aquaponics system. :D

• Mikala likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#5 syzmic

syzmic

I fish, therefore I am.

• 134 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 08:21 PM
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

16 cm?  That guy has got some BIG fingers...   :D

• Paul likes this

#6 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:16 AM

16 cm?  That guy has got some BIG fingers...   :D

No doubt! 

Thinking about building one, later, at the ol' ranch? 

• Mikala likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#7 Mikala

Mikala

Father Mike

• Forum Sponsor
  • 198 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 12:21 PM
  • LocationDumaguete

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thinking about building one, later, at the ol' ranch?

I'd have a much easier time with the water as I've got a spring fed stream that runs alongside my ranch for about 2 km and a 60 meter drop in elevation. I've thought about building a pond, but it would be illegal in Hawaii to do that without extensive studies and crap. I certainly have enough space for doing anything I'd like. Just I don't get home very often and it's still rented out.

#8 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

I'd have a much easier time with the water as I've got a spring fed stream that runs alongside my ranch for about 2 km and a 60 meter drop in elevation. I've thought about building a pond, but it would be illegal in Hawaii to do that without extensive studies and crap. I certainly have enough space for doing anything I'd like. Just I don't get home very often and it's still rented out.

City water, or well? Looks like the perfect place to run a RAM pump. 

• Mikala likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#9 phuketrichard

phuketrichard

Posting Addict

• 1,508 posts
  • 97 topics

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

questions;

a nice size Tilapia  cost $1.70 in the supermarket here retail, say its half that wholesale, ($.85)  how much do the Tilapia fingerlings cost,

how much for electricity to run ur pumps, how much gas to drive to sell them.  How much did the whole set up cost?

seems to me u need to be raising /selling thousands/month to make it worth your while

We are thinking of building a pond on our land but i am Looking more at raising ducks than fish

than open a small rice an duck restaurant on the main road on the land outside Kep

• andy likes this

#10 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,978 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

questions;

a nice size Tilapia  cost $1.70 in the supermarket here retail, say its half that wholesale, ($.85)  how much do the Tilapia fingerlings cost,

how much for electricity to run ur pumps, how much gas to drive to sell them.  How much did the whole set up cost?

seems to me u need to be raising /selling thousands/month to make it worth your while

We are thinking of building a pond on our land but i am Looking more at raising ducks than fish

than open a small rice an duck restaurant on the main road on the land outside Kep

I need to be more specific regarding my intentions here. 

My initial interest here is to build a system, a small system, to see IF I can make a go of it. I want to see if I can maintain my fish, grow vegetables, etc., for us to consume. BUT, I have also been asked to see if I can grow some vegetables and herbs for friends who own restaurants, locally. 

We are still in town. This system is not being set up at the farm. If I were doing this at the farm, I would start out with a much larger system. 

For long term production and sales, I probably would not go with Tilapia here. They are only 5,000r / kg at the local market. I would go with a different fish, which fetches a much higher price. Tilapia seem to be the best choice to go with for now, though. They are easy to breed, breed quickly, and are strong fish. We also bartered for them.

I cannot speak for Thailand. But, if the land you are referring to is in Cambodia, I would prbably raise something other than Tilapia.

Oh, the overhead to run an aquaponics system, once it has been set up and running, is very little. air pumps can even be optional if you use venturis to draw air into the flowing water.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tilapia, aquaponics fish, fingerlings, breeding tank, breeding fish