Bill H

Housing in Burma and Thailand??

Bill H

We are still trying to cover all bases regarding our relocation from the PH.  We're in Panama now, and we like it, but we are starting to find some of the hidden problems, namely the cost of housing.  It's very high, some might say outrageously so.

We've heard a lot of good things about Burma (Yes, I know it's no longer Burma but it's much easier for me to spell than Myanmar!)  To live there we would have to obtain residents visas and long-term housing (say a one year lease).  Is that easily done?  Are houses easy to come by if you only wish to lease right now?  Curious minds would like to know.  Perhaps some of you folks with experience in both places might offer some words of wisdom.

That said, I read on the Internet Thailand has eased it's visa structure making it easier to stay for more than three weeks at a stretch.  I've also read almost everything costs less in Thailand.  Comments most welcomed.  Thank you.

• Like 2

phuketrichard

Burma;Very hard to get a 1 year visa UNLESS ur working for a big company or teaching (an teaching u still need leave every 70 days) and housing is crazy expensive !!

Thailand, Visa depends on your age if it easy or not, if anything they have gotten tougher with the Military in control than before.  i have found Burma cheap (except for hotels/long term housing) BUT  IT is NOT set up for expats

Cambodia visa is easiest of all,  but it is NOT overall a cheap country to live in

dicey eye

I lived and worked in Myanmar for 2 1/2 yrs and with help from local housing agents found decent deals on housing.  Last year I leased a 5 bedroom, 2 story house in Mandalay for $135 per month. The one drawback is most landlords require an entire yrs lease up front so I had to pony up $1620 before moving in plus another month's rent as payment to the agent. So if you find a house or an apartment you like that runs $300 per month, you'll need to come up with $3,900 (including agent fee) to get the key.

Utility rates vary quite a bit even with in the same city. Official rates and landlord rates differ. My utility rates were extremely low - $10 electricity and $1 water, though other colleagues were paying $200 electricity and $25 water.

Where I worked they paid the visa fees and air travel costs every 70 days which is a pretty penny. Myanmar has terrible visa requirements.

You might consider looking into the Southern Mekong Delta  region of Vietnam ; the area south east of Can Tho. Housing is quite cheap  especially outside the big cities and visa requirements are getting easier.

Parrothead
but it is NOT overall a cheap country to live in

To me, it is cheaper than Thailand. Less visa hassle than Thailand or Vietnam. Plus, Bill H, in all honesty, the Thais don't want us there. 

Burma doesn't seem to be all that cheap, especially regarding housing and hotel stays.

Here in Cambodia, you can get a fan room for $10 USD / night, or less. In fact, we found a place, nice, clean, simple, for $15 USD / night, in PP, with air-con. I was shocked when we did. We stay there every time we visit PP, now.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Parrothead
You might consider looking into the Southern Mekong Delta  region of Vietnam ; the area south east of Can Tho. Housing is quite cheap  especially outside the big cities and visa requirements are getting easier.

I spoke with someone recently, who just came from Vietnam. He said it is still a pain to stay there long term. 

I guess it is in who you know, and how BADLY you wish to stay in country.

Edited by Paul

dicey eye

In fact, we found a place, nice, clean, simple, for $15 USD / night, in PP, with air-con. I was shocked when we did. We stay there every time we visit PP, now.

When in PP I stay at a hotel  close to Golden Sorya Mall for $11 per night, (on the 1st floor, no climbing stairs) , clean, large room, air  con, hot water, refrig - a two minute walk to all the nightlife action.Entertaining area.

I now just observe the nightlife action, too old to participate.

Edited by dicey eye

phuketrichard

To me, it is cheaper than Thailand. Less visa hassle than Thailand or Vietnam. Plus, Bill H, in all honesty, the Thais don't want us there. 

Burma doesn't seem to be all that cheap, especially regarding housing and hotel stays.

Here in Cambodia, you can get a fan room for $10 USD / night, or less. In fact, we found a place, nice, clean, simple, for $15 USD / night, in PP, with air-con. I was shocked when we did. We stay there every time we visit PP, now.

Paul;

ok what exactly is cheaper in Cambodia than Thailand?

exclude;  Beer, Spirits, Cigarettes, Motos, mobile rates, inexpensive western food, tee shirts (for tourists)

let me help u.  ( all more expensive in Cambodia than Thailand)

Electricity, cooking gas, Water, Coke, gasoline, internet, car purchases, long distance bus's, eating on the street local food, local clothes,

You can get an air con room in Phuket with fast wifi for $10-15/night  ( u can easily find an air con room/month near a beach for under $250/month) or in Bangkok, cheaper in Chiang Mai

Go up country or in the north/northeast ( equivalent to Battambang) and you will find 2-3 bedroom condos/ homes for $200-300/month

Thai's dont  want people on the wrong visa here or working without a wp and they do want to know what your doing here.

PS; ONE should NOT move somewhere just cause its the cheapest place to live,

one should live where one WANTS to live. and find a way to stay

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Bill H

Well shit.  If visas are a PIA everywhere but Cambodia, then I guess we should go to Cambodia first.  Paul, you were down on the coast for a while, but you didn't like it very much.  Now you're about as far away from the ocean as you can be and seem happier there.  I'd like to build some boats again, but I'm not much into big cities and tourist traps.  So, would Badabadaboom be the best place for us to start?  If so, would it be best to fly from Bangkok to Siam Rep or go by bus from Bangkok?  Once we get there, do you look for an agent or what to find a house?

I'm open, we just need to stop moving around for a few months.  This living out of a suitcase stuff is a real PIA.

Thanks

dicey eye

In Myanmar use an agent, BUT in Cambodia an agent is useless; a waste of money.

phuketrichard

visas in Thailand if ur over 50 is a piece of cake if you have any kind of a pension/outside income and cost less/year than one in the Cambodia

Only negative is i need spend 10 minutes every 90 days doing an online report  LOL

Oh forgot about things cheaper in Cambodia,  girls in gsm or around Wat Phnom  :-)

• Like 1