Those of you who have been following my "The Aquaponics Build" thread, know I have been working on my build for about one month, now. In fact, I should have my grow beds completed and attached to the system by month's end - if all goes well.
However, this early on, I already know two mistakes I have made.
Mistake 1: Not setting the level of the water high enough. At the moment, it is set at 800 liters. As shown in the image, I could have set the level higher, simply by drilling the hole higher.
The main reason for setting the water level higher, by placing the Solids Lifting Overflow (SLO) higher, is to increase the volume of water pressure / volume flowing from the SLO, into the Radial Flow Filter (RFF). By not doing that, the top of the input in the RFF was very close to the height of the outflow point from the SLO in the fish tank. To help this a bit, I cut the vertical tube inside the RFF down a bit, about 10 cm. It appears to be functioning fine. But, I think it would perform better, if I were to lower the input tube a bit more. I will just cut another piece of 2" (55mm) PVC to test it with. If it doesn't make any difference, I can always put the existing tube back in place.
Mistake 2: Not going with a proper fish tank, one that I could cut holes in and add windows to, in order to view the fish swimming inside the tank. The way my system is currently set up, I have to stand and look into the tank in order to view the fish while they eat or swim. This is taking a big part of what I love about fish, away from me.
So, on my next system set up, I will pay the extra monies in order to buy proper fish tanks.