Parrothead

Mistakes I made in my build.

Parrothead

Those of you who have been following my "The Aquaponics Build" thread, know I have been working on my build for about one month, now. In fact, I should have my grow beds completed and attached to the system by month's end - if all goes well. 

However, this early on, I already know two mistakes I have made.

Mistake 1: Not setting the level of the water high enough. At the moment, it is set at 800 liters. As shown in the image, I could have set the level higher, simply by drilling the hole higher. 

IMG_2532_r - c1.jpg

The main reason for setting the water level higher, by placing the Solids Lifting Overflow (SLO) higher, is to increase the volume of water pressure / volume flowing from the SLO, into the Radial Flow Filter (RFF). By not doing that, the top of the input in the RFF was very close to the height of the outflow point from the SLO in the fish tank. To help this a bit, I cut the vertical tube inside the RFF down a bit, about 10 cm. It appears to be functioning fine. But, I think it would perform better, if I were to lower the input tube a bit more. I will just cut another piece of 2" (55mm) PVC to test it with. If it doesn't make any difference, I can always put the existing tube back in place.

Mistake 2: Not going with a proper fish tank, one that I could cut holes in and add windows to, in order to view the fish swimming inside the tank. The way my system is currently set up, I have to stand and look into the tank in order to view the fish while they eat or swim. This is taking a big part of what I love about fish, away from me. 

So, on my next system set up, I will pay the extra monies in order to buy proper fish tanks. 

• Like 3

andy

I am sure you will sort it out Paul. But remember the advice I gave you in the past! Get it right first time! If not it could be costly. But if nothing else "frustrating".

• Like 1

Parrothead

I am sure you will sort it out Paul. But remember the advice I gave you in the past! Get it right first time! If not it could be costly. But if nothing else "frustrating".

Well, the "first mistake" was just a bad decision, honestly. I figured I would just keep the tank water level a bit lower. I can remedy this tank, by adding more PVC and fittings. This would raise the tank water level.

Alternatively, I could plug the current hole with a nipple and caps, drill a new one above it, then modify the external plumbing.

The former would be the best choice, though, by far.

The "second mistake" cannot be fixed, as far as IBC totes go, apparently. Well, I have yet to find a solution that doesn't involve leaks afterward. (The wall of the tote is too thin, unlike the wall of a proper fish tank.)

So, for future reference, if anyone wishes to be able to "view" the fish in their system, do not go with IBC totes for fish tanks.

Heck, I'm not even sure I could find a piece of 6mm - 7mm polycarbonate to use as a window, locally anyway. 

I did find some good images, even one showing where I could add windows to my filter tanks (drums). That would be great if I were to build an educational system. 

tanks_windows (2).jpg

tanks_windows (1).jpg

tanks_windows (3).jpg

• Like 2

andy

The end result is that the fish are doing the job for your system! After that when the fish are the appropriate size they are food. If you want pets! Keep some in the fish tank you bought. Buy a net to check the growth of your aquaponics stock.

I have learnt in the commercial side of farming you need to be a little harder.

Here in the countryside Paul your eyes would be closed. There is no time and gain to be petting.

Even the dogs out here serve two purposes! One they guard the property. Two if the owner falls on bad times he/she has food.

Parrothead

The end result is that the fish are doing the job for your system! After that when the fish are the appropriate size they are food. If you want pets! Keep some in the fish tank you bought. Buy a net to check the growth of your aquaponics stock.

I have learnt in the commercial side of farming you need to be a little harder.

Here in the countryside Paul your eyes would be closed. There is no time and gain to be petting.

Even the dogs out here serve two purposes! One they guard the property. Two if the owner falls on bad times he/she has food.

Well, to be perfectly honest, when raising chickens, I can feed them and pet them. I don't do the culling of them, though. I also don't ask questions, either, regarding such practices. Say what you will about me. I like the nicer side of farming. Others can deal with the "dark side". They don't mind. So, that is a win-win situation. 

Regarding the windows in the tanks, there is more than one reason for doing that. You can use your system as an educational tool, by providing others a view, quite literally, inside your system. Not to mention, children love to watch fish swim. Personally, I enjoy doing the same. It doesn't matter if they will be eaten down the road, or not. They still can provide enjoyment by watching them swim and interact with other fish in the tank. 

To go back a bit here, I decided to go ahead and address the water level issue late this afternoon, after I wrote my previous reply. I began thinking about it, and decided to check to see if I had enough fittings and pipe left over from the job. I did. So, Chan and I worked together and sorted it in just a few minutes flat, actually. This raised the level of the tank two-hundred liters, making it an even 1000 liters capacity. Dang near ran the sump dry in the process. (I really should add a low water cut off switch to the sump.) Fortunately, I caught it just in time, before the pump lost suction. (Not 100% certain if these pumps can run dry, or not. I don't want to find out.) I'll post a photo of the modified fish tank SLO, in the morning. 

Parrothead

On a side note, working on issues / problems / mistakes one may make in the process, often leads to ideas for modifications / changes to the system. One particular idea I have, is to add a low water cut out switch, which will cut the sump pump off prior to the water level in the sump dropping too low.

Another idea, one I thought about earlier today as well, is an automatic water filling valve - a float valve, for the sump. Let that feed from the 1000 liters tote I have not used, which can store dechlorinated water from the water mains, or rainwater, depending on what is available at the time.

andy

Paul the key to the system is to maintain a continuous regular circulation of water flow throughout all components. Have you set up everything that the system will be using? When the full system is in order you will be able and need to make your adjustments.

Parrothead

Paul the key to the system is to maintain a continuous regular circulation of water flow throughout all components. Have you set up everything that the system will be using? When the full system is in order you will be able and need to make your adjustments.

I have everything but my grow beds completed. I will finish them the last week of this month. Running low on fundage. 

IMG_2525_r.jpg

IMG_2526_r.jpg

By the way, below is what I did to increase the water volume in the fish tank. I added fittings only. No glue.

Before, at 800 liters:

IMG_2486_r.jpg

Now, at 1000 liters:

IMG_2542_r.jpg

The SLO (Solids Lifting Overflow) seems to be working great. It is pulling everything from the bottom of the fish tank, and sending it on to the RFF (Radial Flow Filter). 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

andy

Looking good! I see you are going for the rustic design! Very Cambodian.

• Like 1

Parrothead

Looking good! I see you are going for the rustic design! Very Cambodian.

Going "Cambodian" was solely to keep costs down and to construct a temporary system. This will not be a long term set up.

Once I have spent enough time learning what I need to know, I will have to transfer to the farm and build a larger, more permanent system there. This one was constructed for a specific purpose - learning. 

By the way, I lost one fish - and on the day I transferred them from the aquarium to the fish tank. This is them dining, this morning.

IMG_2535_r.jpg

IMG_2536_r.jpg

IMG_2538_r.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• andy
      By andy
      In this post I will try to answer questions if I can? Help with the best of my knowledge if possible. Firstly I am not a full time 'Farmer'. In the 60s and 70s I worked as a kid on local farms to earn a little money. I came from a poor background. I have always worked hard and craved knowledge and learning.

Like Kenny in the late 70s I was interested, and studied Hydroponics. But in later (self taught years). I saw the advantages, and challenging disadvantages of Aquaponics.

Firstly. We must understand the basic needs of what a plant needs to live and grow.  Water, Nutrients, Air, light, Temperature, space, and time.

Water - To feed (just the same way, we need to drink) and used to carry the nutrients. Too little or too much water or nutrients can also be harmful.

Nutrients - The most important nutrients for plants growing needs are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Nitrogen is necessary for making green leaves, phosphorus is needed for making big flowers and strong roots, and potassium helps the plants fight off disease.

Temperature - Most plants prefer cooler nighttime temps and warmer daytime temperatures.

Air and Light - Fresh, clean air and light are essential for healthy growth. Plants are the greatest consumer of solar energy, using power from the sun to mix up an energy rich meal. The process where plants make their own food is known as photosynthesis.

Space and Time - Plants need room to grow. Without enough room, plants can become stunted or too small. Overcrowded plants are also more likely to suffer from diseases since airflow may be limited. Finally, plants require time and care.

To go back and answer a question? Most seeds will be required to germinate in darkness.

Paul mentioned lighting? Back in the early days, and still mostly now! The lights used for hydroponic growing would be very expensive 600w.

With the new technology of LCD lights on the market, and now very good growing media available via the internet. I had returned some years ago to experiment with Hydroponic indoor growing again. The following photo's are of working prototypes. Drip feed and Flood and drain systems.

This is a drip feed system to accommodate four young plants. When the plants grow too large they are moved into their own single unit.

The pipes can be placed freely and water flow can be regulated via the taps. The pump works with a timer. The built in temperature gauge is nice useful feature.

This is a Flood and drain system (without a Bell Syphon). Again the pump is on the timer! When the pump stops, the water flows back via the pump.

Same concept, just slower return flow (use for large plant).

Just some of the components needed to build. I use the air-stone in the grow bed to give more oxygen to the plants roots. This all works on the watering cycles, when the timer ends the pump and air stop too.

Flower used to illustrate.

LCD Light can be adjusted accordingly.

All the parts I used to make the above prototypes are storage components, from a well known European furniture outlet! Now very well established in Thailand. 

Split from Aquaponics thread.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I was noticing Chan using a small fish net while looking into the fish tank, fairly often. I didn't realize that, for a while, she had been doing this to clean fish and food waste from the top of the water column. I looked at the tank after the next feeding. I noticed a large amount floating on and just under the surface of the water.

I had been considering going with a skimmer for some time. But, at that time, I had not yet transferred the junior Tilapia to the tank with the larger fish. So, only ten fish were creating this massive amount of waste. I could only imagine what it would look like after I had over 50 fish in the tank. 

So, Tha came by and off to the hardware and plumbing stores he went. 

I decided to go with 25mm (1") PVC system, mainly due to the fact that I had a drain that wasn't really being used in the RFF (Radial Flow Filter). This would also prevent me from having to pop another hole in the RFF, AND would save me from having to use another 25mm (1") Uniseal. So, it was convenient - very convenient.

To be perfectly honest, I waited to open the skimmer valve up until after a feeding, just so viewers can see how well it actually works. Take a peak now:

A view of the pipe routing from the outside of the fish tank:

What a new, unmodified 75mm to 25mm (3" to 1") PVC bell reducer looks like.

The modified bell reducer we are using for the skimmer. It was taken from the bottom of the RFF, since we never used that to drain the filter anyway.

Parts / Tools Required:   1 - drill motor 1 - file to smooth edges of PVC after cutting 1 - hack saw or PVC cutters 1 - 1 3/4" (44mm) hole saw with pilot bit 2 - 25mm (1") Uniseals 1 - 25mm (1") ball valve 1 - can of PVC glue. (Some folks use primer. I never have. As long as it is glued properly in the first place, PVC will not leak.) 1 - 75mm to 25mm (3" to 1") PVC bell reducer. I modified mine as you can see in the video. However, that isn't necessary for it to work. I feel it does function better, though, notched at the top (on the 75mm (3") end.) Several (I used 4, but depends on your tank / filter locations) 90° - 25mm (1") PVC elbows. A length of 25mm (1") PVC pipe. (This length, again, will depend on the distance between your tank and your filter.         Stay tuned. Another addition-to-the-system write up coming in the morning.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      PDFs / eBook Resources - You will see some great finds listed here.

Aquaponic Gardening, Sylvia Bernstein: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
      Aquaponic Gardening.pdf

Backyard Liberty: The Smart, Easy Way To Food Independence
      BackyardLiberty.pdf

Barrel-Ponics (aka Aquaponics in a barrel) - Travis W. Hughey
      Barrel-Ponics.pdf

Practical Aquaponics (TotePonics v.4) - Murray Hallam's Practical Aquaponics (A MUST READ! VERY DETAILED!)
      TotePonicsVer4.pdf

Aquaponics Common Sense Guide - Detailed time saving eBook for the newbie to aquaponics systems.
      Aquaponics_Common_Sense_Guide.pdf

The IBC of Aquaponics - Exclusively about using IBC totes for aquaponics systems.
      IBCofAquaponics.pdf

CTSA (Center for Tropical and Subtropical Aquaculture)
      How to Build and Operate a Simple Small-to-Large Scale Aquaponics System
      CTSA_aquaponicsHowTo.pdf

Aquaponics Info - A great informational source for the newbie to Aquaponics. Marvin A. Hodges researched for over four months, initially, to gather all information contained in this file. (The attached updated PDF is from 2013.)
      Aquaponics Info.pdf

Aquaponics Fact Sheet
      aquaponics_factsheet.pdf

Small-Scale Aquaponic Food Production - I have the full 288 page version of this file. If you wish to download the full 42 Megabyte file, as well as all other PDFs in this post, you may do so from my DropBox Aquaponics files link, LOCATED HERE. Alternatively, the FAO site is linked below.
      i4021e00.pdf

Home _Gardening_Cambodia.pdf - Home Gardening Cambodia - An EXCELLENT resource, which also gives you the months of the year, and which plants are suitable for sewing and reaping during each month. The calendar starts on pg 76 (pg 64 on the file itself).

Websites

FAO Website - Small-Scale Aquaponic Food Production (PDF) Information & Download Page

Practical Aquaponics

Backyard Aquaponics

Top 7 Aquaponics Fish Species

Recommended Plants and Fish in Aquaponics

Sexing Tilapia: An Easy Way to Determine Gender

The long and short of sexing Tilapia, is:
            YouTube Channels - All links are to each user's "videos" page.   Rob Bob's Backyard Farming - Hobbyist / Self-sustaining Australian very knowledgeable about aquaponics.   NorthernMonkey Mayhem - Great aquaponics resource. Good video on fill / drain through one pipe system and a single "U" siphon.   Bright Agrotech - Commercial operation. But, good resource.   Donald Porta - Has some very good videos on Aquaponics. Check his play lists to save time searching for them all.   Murray Hallam Aquaponics - Naturally, we have to add this fellow's channel. He has some great information out there. (Commercial operation.)
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      The little guys (Tilapia fry) are about to out grow their current housing. That is the aquarium they have been in since Chan rescued them from the system filter. But, they are still too small to defend themselves against the larger fish in the fish tank. So, they can't go into the 1,000 liter IBC tote just yet.

We cut a barrel, added an SLO (Solids Lifting Overflow) and a temporary filter made from a 20 liters (~5 gallon) bucket. This will work until I can get some glass panels to partition the aquarium into a sump / filter for the new barrel they will call home. 

A few fotos of the test run after completing the build yesterday.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      We just built two Black Solder Fly Larvae (BSFL) compost bins. One was made in accordance to specifications given to us by Olivier Crusoe, who runs an off-grid organic farm, about 1.5 hours from Battambang. I constructed the other, from a combination of images I found on the internet.

Both types of construction will work, I imagine. I just want to try to guarantee a strong growth of BSF in this area. They are a very beneficial insect. They are also free protein for both fish and chickens.

In my case, I can raise them, along with Duckweed, using both to feed my fish. It will, literally, cost me nothing to feed my fish.

Here are those images now: 

Compost Bin 1: Concrete, Brick & Mortar Construction

Information: The concrete, brick & mortar compost bin, you will see, has a moat around the perimeter of the group. This is to hold water, preventing ants from getting to the larvae and eating them. I still have to add a few small parts to complete this build. But, it is basically complete.

Compost Bin 2: Plastic & PVC Construction

This second compost bin didn't work out so well. And, the loop fasteners didn't work as intended, either. My suggestion, after having been successful at one complete life cycle of these flies (eggs are inside the compost bin now), is to go with option 1, above.

Information: The hook fastener material is siliconed around the inside perimeter, to prevent the larvae from climbing out of the bin prior to maturity. The two ramps lead to two attached milk cartons, where the larvae will crawl up, once they have matured.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.