Photo
- - - - -

Wanna see what 11 kilograms of bottle caps look like?

aquaponics aquaponics build bio-filter media bio-filter bottle caps

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

I would have never guessed. Got 11 kg from a recycling center today, at $.50¢ US per kilogram.

IMG_2544_r.JPG

Edited by Paul, 10 July 2016 - 01:04 PM.

• Mikala likes this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,687 posts
  • 90 topics

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

You have got to be joking! This warrants it's own thread? People get excited about little things.
WP_20160711_001.jpg
In reply! I have a few laying around every day! Topics can gain lots of interest!

#3 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,687 posts
  • 90 topics

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Capped Out Chair, Spartanburg, recycled bottle tops, recycled plastic ___.jpg
  • mollydooker likes this

#4 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,687 posts
  • 90 topics

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

I understand Paul's relationship with recycled bottle tops! But for readers not constructing a aquaponics system! How about making a low cost chair pictured above.
  • Mikala likes this

#5 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 258 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 12:11 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Someone has to ask - may as well be me!

Why do you want so many bottle tops?

• mollydooker likes this

#6 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Why do you want so many bottle tops?

Someone hasn't been following my Aquaponics Build thread. :D

Jon, the caps are to build a moving bacteria bed in what is called a moving media bio-filter. Rather than to bore you by linking to every post concerning it, I will simply post this for you to view: 

Basically, system water enters this barrel from an inlet near the bottom of the tank. It originates in the RDD (Radial Flow Filter). Floating in this barrel are hundreds of bottle caps, which will become the homes for many teeny tiny aerobic bacteria. They will convert the Ammonia / Nitrites into Nitrates, which then becomes food for the plants I will have in the system.

I also use an air pump which injects about 37 liters of air (per minute) into the barrel, causing the caps to swirl around. The oxygen in the water keeps the bacteria on the caps, alive.

The barrel has a capacity of 208 liters. But, I will have somewhere between 60 liters and 100 liters of bottle caps in it, when this project is complete.

Edited by Paul, 11 July 2016 - 12:30 PM.

• Mikala and Oz Jon like this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#7 mollydooker

mollydooker

Elite Poster

• 833 posts
  • 1,261 topics
  • Local time: 09:11 AM
  • LocationQuezon City Manila

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hmmmmm ...how do the teeny tiny aerobic bacteria stay on the caps moving at that speed ...they must have very sticky feet !!

• Oz Jon likes this

#8 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 258 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 12:11 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hmmmmm ...how do the teeny tiny aerobic bacteria stay on the caps moving at that speed ...they must have very sticky feet !!

Oh! - I know that - it's called "selective breeding" - "survival of the fleetest"- Lol!

#9 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Actually, at the time of that video, my bottle cap capacity was not at 100% of the capacity I wanted. I am there now, however, and they turn over a bit slower. But, with the air turning them over at that speed will evict the old, dead bacteria from the premises, while allowing space for new,  young bacteria to grow. Out with the old, in with the new! :P

Oh! - I know that - it's called "selective breeding" - "survival of the fleetest"- Lol!

Do NOT quit your day job. :D

• mollydooker likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#10 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,899 posts
  • 813 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

You have got to be joking! This warrants it's own thread? People get excited about little things.

Laugh now. But, when it comes time to set up your system, you may just want some fresh bacteria, rather than having to wait for your system to cycle itself. Your system can get a jump start if you introduce existing bacteria on media, into your bio-filter. So, when you have your system ready to start up, and if you happen to be in Battambang at the time, you may not be laughing at your ol' pal Paul, when he has just what you need to start your bacteria bed growing from day one. :P

In fact, we have more than what we need, in the way of bottle caps (media). So, I will put some in a mesh bag and throw them into the bottom of the bio-filter. This will keep them alive and kicking, for when someone else needs to start up their filter.

Edited by Paul, 11 July 2016 - 06:07 PM.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aquaponics, aquaponics build, bio-filter media, bio-filter, bottle caps