Bill H

Getting to Cambodia, the adventure begins...

Bill H

I didn't really need any more reasons to hate Canadian Airlines, but they went ahead and gave me one today.  My flight from Vancouver arrived a little over 2.5 hours late, so the 4 hour layover I judged to be more than adequate shrunk to not quite an hour and a half, which was simply not enough time to get through customs, retrieve my bags and make it to the Thai Airlines ticketing booth which is located in a different building.  I asked Air Canada to run some interference for me, but all they would do was move me to the front of the plane 10 minutes before we landed.  My worst nightmares came to pass almost instantly.  Customs in HK was abnormally busy with long lines and fewer than normal agents.  Of course, the bags were slow to arrive as well.  The wife and I literally ran to the ticket counter but they told us even though we arrived 15 minutes before boarding, there was no way to get our bags to the plane, so we missed the flight.

Worse, all the flights following ours were booked solid.  So the soonest we could get out was tomorrow at 3pm.  Well shoot, we had a good dinner for way too much money and resigned ourselves to our fate.  We toyed with the idea of scoring a room in the Airport hotel, but of course, they were booked solid as well.  I also tried getting Canadian Air to spring for a hotel room, but of course, that was naught but a fantasy on my part.  So, here we are sleeping on the benches in the airport.  If cruising on your sailboat is actually repairing your boat in exotic locations, then I guess foreign travel is overcoming obsticles in exotic locations.

I did manage to remove the arm rests on two of the seats so the wife can at least lay down.  I am staying awake to guard the goods, so to speak.  I booked a hotel in Bangkok through Expedia which I instantly regretted.  Never again will I use those dysfunctional wretched to deal with folks.

So the dawn approaches.  I'm sleep deprived and cranky, but also happy about the prospect of a real bed to sleep in tonight!  I have not had that since leaving Panama.  Here's hoping that our luck will change with the coming dawn.  LOL

Bill

• Like 2

andy

I gather you didn't book the onward flight to Bangkok when you booked your first flight? Are you doing your journey on the cheap, and cutting corners? Are you going to Cambodia and Thailand for a holiday?

Hope your journey improves. Good planing is the key.

phuketrichard

i leaner long time ago NEVER book flights after a long overseas flight.

have never used expedia  always agoda or booking.com,  both will usually refund ur fee if u can show it was the airlines falut,

BTW,  booking.com hotels always have the option to report the booking as a no show and no charge applied as they pay commission AFTER they are billed by the company,

agoda gets their commission up front so harder to recoup

• Like 1

Parrothead

Booking through Agoda on this site, will also help this site. I just recently joined Agoda's affiliate program.

andy

Yesterday you told me not to post agoda!!!

I always use them.

Parrothead

Yesterday you told me not to post agoda!!!

I always use them.

No I didn't. You need new glasses. 

Read this post: http://www.livingincambodiaforums.com/ipb/topic/5643-hotel-room-in-bangkok-most-cost-effective-place-to-stay/?p=26208

I quoted Richard, not you. When there is a quote in a reply, and above my post, I am replying to THAT quote, not to the post immediately above.

Edited by Paul

andy

Ok! But I was the post above! I have been a member of them for many years. Last year when I stayed in SR, the hotel cost me 7usd for a total of 10 nights. There are good benefits to be had.

Bill H

I gather you didn't book the onward flight to Bangkok when you booked your first flight? Are you doing your journey on the cheap, and cutting corners? Are you going to Cambodia and Thailand for a holiday?

Hope your journey improves. Good planing is the key.

If I booked all the flights together from Portland to Bangkok, the ticket cost $2,400.  The leg from Portland to HK by itself cost $800.  The leg from HK to Bangkok less than $200.  I booked the flights through the same agency at the same time but as independent legs. I'm not sure why booking them together would have changed anything.  All the outgoing flights would still have been booked and my flight would still have arrived late leaving me stranded at the airport where the available rooms were also booked.  As I see it, I save $1,400 so I'm happy.  A night sitting in the airport won't kill me (most likely), I've done it before and I suspect I will do it again.  The only downside was the hotel charged me for the missed night, even though I notified them as soon as I knew I could not be there.

Bill H

i leaner long time ago NEVER book flights after a long overseas flight.

have never used expedia  always agoda or booking.com,  both will usually refund ur fee if u can show it was the airlines falut,

BTW,  booking.com hotels always have the option to report the booking as a no show and no charge applied as they pay commission AFTER they are billed by the company,

agoda gets their commission up front so harder to recoup

This was the first (and last) time I've ever used Expedia.  I will never use them again.  I've always used Agoda in the past and have never had a serious issue with them.

Guest Kenny

If I booked all the flights together from Portland to Bangkok, the ticket cost $2,400.

Bill, this sounds like a huge amount for a one way flight.

I often hear guys here and on sister site Living In Cebu Forums saying that they paid well under $US1,000 (admittedly from LAX)