Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,540 posts
  • 781 topics
  • Local time: 10:03 AM
  • LocationIn the mind's eye.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Chan rang her contact at Immigration. This how concerned Immigration is about it:

The lady said to call her prior to sending my passport to them next. She told Chan they would sort it for me at that time. Didn't even ask when my current visa expires.

Now, I am even less concerned about than I was before.

I posted this solely for those who believe the sky is falling.

Okay. Promise. This will be my very last reply on this topic. 

If anyone has any further questions of me, send me an email or PM.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#102 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 192 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Local time: 01:03 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

If I had done this in Australia, that is worked without a work permit. What would be the outcome?

You would be refused entry if immigration figured out that was your intention on arrival (or deported if immigration discovered the facts later)  .....  the same in NZ, and Canada I suspect.

But these are all 1st world countries - everything works here! - very hard to hide!

In SE Asia - who knows? - plenty of law - very little of it actually works! - I love it!!!!

Life is a game - enjoy it while you can!

#103 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

• 192 posts
  • 6 topics
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Chan rang her contact at Immigration. This how concerned Immigration is about it:

The lady said to call her prior to sending my passport to them next. She told Chan they would sort it for me at that time. Didn't even ask when my current visa expires.

Now, I am even less concerned about than I was before.

Okay. Promise. This will be my very last reply on this topic. 

Why am I not surprised Paul?

I've been around the SE Asia playing fields a couple/few times too! - Don't you just love it? - Lol!

Life is just a game! - you need to figure out  "what are the rules" early  and play to win (or at least, to not lose)

Cheers

• Paul likes this

#104 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

• 192 posts
  • 6 topics
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

Like I had posted before. The immigration had asked why I had a business visa? Why did I not apply for the work permit.

If I did not work. Why would you want a Business visa. I could have applied for the appropriate visa for my stay. (Tourist). .........

Right Andy!

So it looks like the days of using Business Visas as the convenient way of staying in Cambodia for extended periods, may be coming to an end?

That doesn't appear to be a very smart move by Cambodia! - That was one of Cambodia's competitive advantages!

What do they gain by closing that avenue off?

They don't want foreign long-term residents, except on "Retirement Visa" terms???

Do they want to compete with Thailand, Philippines on an equal ( un-atractive Visa arrangement) footing? - How smart is that?

But - I know - this is SE Asia - things don't have to make sense!

Edited by Oz Jon, 22 May 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#105 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,388 posts
  • 52 topics

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

So it looks like the days of using Business Visas as the convenient way of staying in Cambodia for extended periods, may be coming to an end?

Not at all Oz Jon, Just accompany it with a work permit. Easy as that.

#106 phuketrichard

phuketrichard

Posting Addict

• 1,496 posts
  • 97 topics
  • LocationPhuket, Thailand

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

In thailand to even apply for a Non B visa ( visa needed to work) you need to show u have been hired and have copies showing the business and that you have applied for a WP before they will issue the Non B visa

If ur caught working without a B visa and WP, ur arrested, fined & deported. ( plus wherever ur working is fined as well)

Cambodia is merely following suit to make sure everyone is on the correct visa ( and the correct amount of $$ is paid)

"The mind and body must be subjected to extreme stimulus, by means of drugs and music. HST"

View my photos

#107 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,388 posts
  • 52 topics

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Well they may just do that in various ways. Do you not think they do not know when your visa expires. Do you not think that immigration, know where you are.

Remember when I was building the house in the back of beyond. Immigration took a two hour bike ride to visit me! I must just be unlucky. 

If the immigration are to enforce these laws, they may possibly just charge you for the years you have not had the required work permit.

Is It possible she has been paying a small fine for you every year, without telling you, she is very good to you.

Well I don't believe this statement! I have had around two years this visit without a WP. And years before on visits.

But now I have a legitimate business here. And if the law says I have to have a WP, then I must have. What would be the alternative! Give up the business.

Life is just a game! - you need to figure out "what are the rules" early and play to win (or at least, to not lose)

It maybe to some. But playing games with the authorities may be a problem. I think they would win. 

For what reason Paul, would you not answer questions openly on the forum?

#108 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,388 posts
  • 52 topics

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

The Myth of the Cambodian Work Permit

The phenomenon of work permits in Cambodia is one that is shrouded in mystery. It is rather obvious that you need to secure a business visa in order to stay in the country for more than a month at a time. But while some believe that this business visa is enough of a permission to work in Cambodia, others believe that expats need to secure a work permit as well.

The truth is that, according to the Labor Law of 1997, every foreigner is required to have a work permit. Unfortunately, this law is nothing but confusing and contradictory. In fact, many expats live and work in Cambodia without a work permit, simply because they are not aware that they need one. While you might previously have gotten away with this, officials have tightened up on ensuring this law is obeyed. If you want to avoid a heavy fine, it is recommended that you get a work permit — better safe than sorry.

#109 Blackeye

Blackeye

Smile

• 263 posts
  • 9 topics
  • Local time: 07:03 PM
  • LocationWorkers Paradise of Kaliforniastanica

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 AM

For what reason Paul, would you not answer questions openly on the forum?

Probably too many wankers 

• Paul and jimmyboy like this