Parrothead

Container Housing In Cambodia

Parrothead

I contacted the guy today, from the company that puts out this flier:

containers.jpg container_home (1).jpg

I thought I would share what I got from him, with you folks.

Here are some images he sent me of a 40 foot container he sells for $4,500 USD. 

container_home (2).jpg 

container_home (4).jpg container_home (6).jpg

container_home (5).jpg

container_home (3).jpg container_home (10).jpg

container_home (7).jpg

container_home (8).jpg container_home (9).jpg
  • Like 1

Bill H

They look like they would both hot and claustrophobic to me.

Parrothead

Well, they certainly aren't for everyone, for sure. As far as claustrophobia, I have lived in apartments smaller than a 40' container.

I have seen many of these already set on foundations. There are a variety of roof options, just as there would be for a "stick built" house. Personally, I would probably put a sloped roof on it, allowing the appropriate incline for a complete solar array to be mounted on top. 

Some of the images I viewed on his site, showed where they insulate the walls and ceiling during refit.

container_home (11).jpg

container_home (12).jpg container_home (13).jpg

container_home (14).jpg

A friend, who unfortunately passed earlier this year, had a 40' container he set up as a shop, in Cebu Province. It was top notch and had ventilation fans at one end, pulling a massive amount of air through it, with the doors opened..

• Like 3

Blackeye

I really like that idea. Also, I don't tend toward claustrophobia at all, in fact I tend to find such spaces comforting, but I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. 

• Like 1

Mikala

Refrigerator containers have great insulation. Outside is clad in aluminum, inside is stainless steel. I've got 2 on my ranch I use as outbuildings. I had them setup with 24 feet (about 8 meters) between them. Leveled with concrete bases and laser levels. Now just waiting for a friend of mine to give me some roofing estimates. I want to install a roof with a 1 meter overhang on all sides, but then use posts to extend the overhang on the mauka (uphill) side an additional 5 meters or so for utilities (generator, water tanks and such).

Note: I have rented the containers out to a young Hawaiian kid for the past few years. He loves living up there with his girl. The 160 degree views across the ocean and city of Hilo are really fantastic. I never tire of the view. Just that I hear the airplanes at various times of the day (line of sight). :)

Here's the layout of my makai (downhill) container:

post-789-0-21229900-1476065052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 3

dicey eye

Looks like it could be also used as a two lane bowling alley.

• Like 2

phuketrichard

more classy to go buy an old train car

plenty of then on the tracks in PP

• Like 2

Guest Kenny

>>> 40 foot container he sells for $4,500 USD.

Surly you could  build something nicer than this for that money? (to lock up stage like this one)

And what about delivery and positioning on your site?

Parrothead

>>> 40 foot container he sells for $4,500 USD.

Surly you could  build something nicer than this for that money? (to lock up stage like this one)

And what about delivery and positioning on your site?

I imagine so. 

He is supposed to email a quote today, to me.

Parrothead

Here's the layout of my makai (downhill) container:

Mike, how were electric and plumbing run in that container?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Well, not the best quality photos. But, better than nothing, I suppose? Tha went out to the farm today. We asked him to snap a few shots on his phone for us.

You can see the overhang on each of the four sides.

Front

Right side, facing rear

Left side, facing rear

Right rear corner, facing left rear corner

Next step will be to put some shade cloth around the perimeter, to prevent small animals, mainly birds, from flying into the roof structure.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      Okay, because of Chan, and a reading something Andy said, we ended up going with all steel roofing rather than using wood. We were already at the place (ISI) to pick up the sheets of roofing. So, we decided to get prices on the steel for the roof support system.

Here is the break down: 

7 each - sheets roofing steel (corrugated), snow white color. 3.5 meters long x 1.10 meters wide. $12.95 each, $90.65 total
      6 each - 40 x 40 x 1.50 x 6 m long, $7.695 each, $46.17 total
      5 each - 40 x 80 x 1.50 x 6 m long, $12.433 each, $62.17 total
      1 bag - mounting screws with rubber washers, $3.50 total
      Transportation from ISI, Road 5 to the farm, $15.00 total

Total: $217.49 

Welding will run another $70.00 USD, for supports and to mount roof framing. (Welding & installation of trusses was completed on May 19th, 2017.)

So, we were able to get all the steel necessary to build the complete roof support structure, for less than the cost of the wood, alone. The wood would have cost $125 USD, by itself.
    • Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      So, we are in Phnom Penh, for the second night.

I was actually surprised at something that happened, prior to coming here. Chan and I were talking about our immediate housing issues to sort. We were discussing the various options we have, regarding construction of a dwelling. One that came up again was a container modified to our liking. She mentioned an interest in learning more. So, I contacted the fellow whom had given me a quote late last year. She agreed that we should try to meet with him since we would be in town. He was available, so we did.

Now, she seems pretty sold on the idea because it is a one stop shop, the completed unit is much cheaper than a brick and mortar house, it can be built, delivered, and setup on site before rainy season hits again, and delivery is reasonably priced. The only thing we need prepared on our end is, electric, water and sewerage lines to be attached when the unit is set in place on the pre-poured foundation.

At the moment, we are still under $3,000 USD in negotiations.
    • Oz Jon
      By Oz Jon
      Does anyone know if used shipping containers are available for sale in Cambodia? 

And if so, at what price?

I note that Sihanoukville has a container port, so presumably they may have some old containers for sale sometimes?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.