Parrothead

Fish in aquaponics? Easy. Plants? Maybe not so much.

Parrothead

Well, as stated, I was going to take images at harvest time. Well, it's harvest time, but the lettuce is a long way off from being ready. 

Lack of nutrients in the water? No. Lettuce needs less than 40ppm, and the water regularly tested at 80ppm. So, not sure what it is. 

Out of all the seeds we germinated at the beginning of this venture, only the basil has been coming along. Looking pretty good too, if I may add. 

We had three broccoli plants that germinated. All but one, however, have died. (The one circled in red, in the image below. The rest of the small plants on the first raft are basil.)

IMG_2960rd.JPG

Except the first raft, and the last two rafts, all others contain the lettuce Chan was given. I still wonder about that. Maybe I need to try to start my own lettuce. 

IMG_2962r.JPG

But, as stated, the basil is coming along nicely. If they end up growing well, we may see if anyone wants a few. Definitely way more than we will need, for sure.

AFTERTHOUGHT: Until recently, we only had 10 fish in the tank. So, maybe, now that we have a full stock of fish to produce more nutrients, well - maybe that will help the plants grow better? I don't know. The fish side of this, I had a basic grasp of, due to having raised fish when I was a teen. The plant side, however, well, I never had a green thumb like my dear ol' departed pappy did.

• Like 2

andy

Lack of nutrients in the water?

You have tested this to be fine! Did you ever use the new pH tester I sent you from the UK? Are the readings the same as your new sophisticated electronics?

How did you germinate the seeds? Are the seeds, the ones you bought from Australia?

dicey eye

I've seen healthier, more robust lettuce. Give those babies a shot of nutrients.

Parrothead

Did you ever use the new pH tester I sent you from the UK? Are the readings the same as your new sophisticated electronics?

Yes. It works, but have to calibrate it every time. I test the water with an API Master Fresh Water Test Kit, that I bought some time back in PP. Otherwise, the Bluelab monitors the water 24 / 7 and matches the test kit results as well. 

How did you germinate the seeds? Are the seeds, the ones you bought from Australia?

On plastic trays with 1x1 square sponges, in water. Most germinated fine. 

I had most of the seeds shipped from a company in the US. Others I got from an Australian who has raised farms here for a number of years. He gave me quite a bit of seeds to try, as well. 

I've seen healthier, more robust lettuce. Give those babies a shot of nutrients.

These were sprouts given to Chan by a local shop. I think I am going to germinate some of ours and throw these in a rubbish bin. 

andy

On plastic trays with 1x1 square sponges, in water. Most germinated fine.

OK.

These were sprouts given to Chan by a local shop

So now I am confused! Which photos are the seeds you have germinated?

andy

Except the first raft, and the last two rafts, all others contain the lettuce Chan was given. I still wonder about that. Maybe I need to try to start my own lettuce.

I am still a little confused! You have 3 rafts of your own germinated seeds? And to top it off the trays what are not yours I can see would do better.

Also I thought your idea of growing produce would be organically sourced. The seedlings Chan acquired I am sure you was guaranteed to be free of pesticide.

Looking at your plants Paul they are staved of oxygen. You are so sure that your pumps are good enough! You have good frequent water flow.

Lettuce is the easiest vegetable to grow via aquaponics, but the key factors are water movement, oxygen and temperature.

Basil is a very hard plant and will grow in poorer conditions.

Parrothead

The seedlings Chan acquired I am sure you was guaranteed to be free of pesticide.

No. I would always over look that. After all, I would want dead fish and to destroy my entire eco-system I have spent months building. :sarcasm:

Yes, Andy. Of course I would. You ask the oddest questions, sometimes. 

Edited by Paul

Parrothead

Looking at your plants Paul they are staved of oxygen.

They can't possibly be. I have 36 to 40 liters per minute of air going into those grow beds, and they are not even full of plants.

Parrothead

You are so sure that your pumps are good enough! You have good frequent water flow.

3900 liters per hour, minus head height. About 3,500 liters per hour going through the DWC beds. So, they are being turned over at least 2 times per hour.

Parrothead

Lettuce is the easiest vegetable to grow via aquaponics, but the key factors are water movement, oxygen and temperature.

I am thinking it may still be too hot for them. Not sure, though. 

I will do a complete water test either today, or tomorrow.