Parrothead

2017 Vehicle Searches

Parrothead

Over this upcoming year, I will need to see about buying some vehicles. It's going to depend on what I can find at the time, because I am somewhat flexible in what I can use. Now, obviously, I have a preference of what I would call a proper tractor over one of those Cambodian jobs. But, as I stated, I will get what I can find, and for the best price. 

Anyway, does anyone have an idea as to the best way to go about this, while in country?

I can certainly go with a lower end Cambodia jobber. But, it would limit me in its abilities. I have to admit, I like the fact that you can buy an attachment and it will pump water like mad.

trucks_tractors (1).jpg

This is what I would prefer, used of course, a compact Kubota, Ford, etc.

trucks_tractors (5).jpg

But, I can certainly make do with an older model and buy some attachments separately, as I need them.

trucks_tractors (2).jpg

Trucks, I can certainly get by with what we called a "multi-cab", in the Philippines. I have a lot of experience with this type of truck. 

trucks_tractors (4).jpg

This would be preferable, though, if the money was right. 

trucks_tractors (3).jpg

andy

This is what I would prefer, used of course, a compact Kubota, Ford, etc.

New tractor's are expensive in most countries! In Cambodia the price's are around the 80.000 - 100.000 dollar mark.

Second hand I once saw a Ford for sale for only 5000 dollar! What condition on the whole I couldn't remark. Owner said working. That said again I would not know about any foreseen repair costs.

With the last cheaper Khmer option we have a different opinion on price! In the more remote north they are selling for 1500 dollar new.

When I needed a tractor I rented. If you have your own you may want to lease it out for extra income.

I was in Phnom Penh yesterday Paul. Plenty of new IBC totes for sale.

Parrothead

New tractor's are expensive in most countries! In Cambodia the price's are around the 80.000 - 100.000 dollar mark.

Second hand I once saw a Ford for sale for only 5000 dollar! What condition on the whole I couldn't remark. Owner said working. That said again I would not know about any foreseen repair costs.

I definitely do not want new equipment. I wouldn't be able to afford it. A good used tractor, regardless of what I end up with, will be fine with me. I have seen new and used Kubota's and Ford's, as well as other brands that I am not familiar with.

With the last cheaper Khmer option we have a different opinion on price! In the more remote north they are selling for 1500 dollar new.

When I needed a tractor I rented. If you have your own you may want to lease it out for extra income.

I was only going by what people are telling me they sell for. About $3,000 for the complete unit, with trailer. Personally, I have not looked at any prices, even now, for them. If they are closer to $1,500 for the power unit and trailer, I would buy two of them, though.

As far as renting / leasing it out, not gonna happen unless I have a driver whom I trust implicitly. In all honesty, though, I would prefer not to let other farmers use my equipment at all. I don't trust their quality of care for someone else's farm equipment.

I was in Phnom Penh yesterday Paul. Plenty of new IBC totes for sale.

There were plenty of them the last time I was in town, as well. Trouble is, they want too much money to buy and ship (total), here to Battambang.

Edited by Paul

andy

About $3,000 for the complete unit, with trailer.

I had priced the units in the north. Trailer should not cost you more than 150 dollar.

The only way to make a new or used tractor pay for it's self would be to rent it on daily work with your reliable driver.

Parrothead

I had priced the units in the north. Trailer should not cost you more than 150 dollar.

Well, as soon as I can start looking around for prices, I will let you know what I find out, first hand. I do not see, though, how one of these (ONLY the trailer attached to the power unit in the image below) could cost only $150 USD.

Are we talking about the same thing? The blue trailer in the image directly below would sell, NEW, for $150 USD? I don't see how that could be, even if buying it used. But, if you are right, I guess I owe you a beer. I will let you know what I learn. 

siem_reap-09.jpg

The only way to make a new or used tractor pay for it's self would be to rent it on daily work with your reliable driver.

I keep telling you, Andy, you are looking at this from a completely different view than I am. You are looking at it from a business, money making point of view. I, however, am not. I still do not care about making any money. If she makes a few bucks on things we produce / grow, that's great. But, that isn't what we are about here.

My view is solely for self-sustainability. We can barter / trade with others to get things we don't have. Or, we can, if necessary, sell some things to accomplish the same goal. However, my primary goal is to simply be able to support ourselves and live off what we grow - livestock, gardening, etc. 

I would rather have my equipment kept and maintained in good shape, and only used once per month. It can sit under the shed for the rest of the month, for all I care. It will be there when I need it, though. That is what is important here. 

Edited by Paul

andy

I will let you know what I learn.

I have recently had a few things made up in the steal shop. Five times the amount of metal used in that trailer, at the cost of 300 dollar.

I keep telling you, Andy, you are looking at this from a completely different view than I am. You are looking at it from a business, money making point of view

That is generally what farming is all about. But if this is another hobby fair play to you. Now are you going into soil based planting? The small land your lady has Paul doesn't warrant a western based tractor. The small one would be ample. But on the other hand, renting labour with oxen to plough at around 5 dollar a day would be an additional bonus and very picturesque :)

• Like 1

Parrothead
That is generally what farming is all about. But if this is another hobby fair play to you. Now are you going into soil based planting? The small land your lady has Paul doesn't warrant a western based tractor. The small one would be ample. But on the other hand, renting labour with oxen to plough at around 5 dollar a day would be an additional bonus and very picturesque

Land around the property could come up for sale in the future. I want to be in a position to purchase it if it does. One never knows when these opportunities will knock. If / When they do, we will be able to expand the farm land. 

As I stated, whatever I can get, at the time, and at the best deal, is what I will buy. Personally, a compact tractor, like the Kubota I originally pictured, would be my first option.

However, if they can be had as cheaply as you say they can, I may be better off with two Cambodian job type tractors, rather than one standard tractor. There are very useful implements that can be purchased, and used with them as well.

Edited by Paul

andy

I want to be in a position to purchase it if it does

Everything is for sale in this country :)

Parrothead

Everything is for sale in this country :)

Well, right now, I think they want $3,500 USD / hectare, there. That's a bit more than I am willing to pay. I bet you wouldn't pay that much, either. It's farm land. 

andy

I am not you! It depends on how much you want the land to increase yours and Chan's land mass.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.