Parrothead

Welcome to Cambodia

Parrothead

Now that I look back, I am glad I didn't buy an inverter generator by Honda. Here is why.

A while back, I began talking with a salesman at Honda Generators, in Phnom Penh. He had (at least) one Honda EU20i, priced at $924 USD, if I recall correctly. (This was well over a year ago.) I put off buying at that time, because I didn't want to spend the money until I knew I would be at the farm often enough to make use of it. (At the time, we didn't have mains power there. But, I wanted a back up for power, in case we were stuck with a week or so of rainy days.)

Anyway, long story short, I didn't buy it. A little while back, I contacted them again, because I was ready to buy an inverter generator to take to the farm. I knew we would need the extra power at some point. So, I contacted them, learning the sales guy was no longer there. Instead, I got the manager of the place, this time, to communicate with (via email). 

The manager checked and told me there were no more EU20i inverter generators, but that he would contact Honda to see how long it would take to get more in. 

Week 1 goes by. Nothing. I replied again.

Week 2 goes by. Nothing. I replied again.

Week 3 - I'll just call them. 

Finally, I get my answer. They have no - that is ZERO intention of buying any more inverter generators to stock, although they are THE HONDA DEALER in Phnom Penh. Their reasoning is, they would have to buy 10 units at once, just to sell me one or two of them. He said it took him years to sell the ones he had in stock. 

Well, if he had marketed the damned things better, I imagine he could have sold them easier. Back when I was looking for inverter generators in Cambodia, it took me ages to find reliable information on this dealer. 

So, now I will be looking for a Denyo generator. Will see how that goes.

• Like 1

Mikala

Now that I look back, I am glad I didn't buy an inverter generator by Honda. Here is why.

A while back, I began talking with a salesman at Honda Generators, in Phnom Penh. He had (at least) one Honda EU20i, priced at $924 USD, if I recall correctly. (This was well over a year ago.) I put off buying at that time, because I didn't want to spend the money until I knew I would be at the farm often enough to make use of it. (At the time, we didn't have mains power there. But, I wanted a back up for power, in case we were stuck with a week or so of rainy days.)

Anyway, long story short, I didn't buy it. A little while back, I contacted them again, because I was ready to buy an inverter generator to take to the farm. I knew we would need the extra power at some point. So, I contacted them, learning the sales guy was no longer there. Instead, I got the manager of the place, this time, to communicate with (via email).

The manager checked and told me there were no more EU20i inverter generators, but that he would contact Honda to see how long it would take to get more in.

Week 1 goes by. Nothing. I replied again.

Week 2 goes by. Nothing. I replied again.

Week 3 - I'll just call them.

Finally, I get my answer. They have no - that is ZERO intention of buying any more inverter generators to stock, although they are THE HONDA DEALER in Phnom Penh. Their reasoning is, they would have to buy 10 units at once, just to sell me one or two of them. He said it took him years to sell the ones he had in stock.

Well, if he had marketed the damned things better, I imagine he could have sold them easier. Back when I was looking for inverter generators in Cambodia, it took me ages to find reliable information on this dealer.

So, now I will be looking for a Denyo generator. Will see how that goes.

I bought a Honda inverter generator for the backup power in my outbuildings. Works great!

• Like 1

syzmic

I don't think the problem here rests with the dealer, but rather with Honda.  If they were actually interested in selling their products, they wouldn't insist on a minimum order of 10.  That seems a bit unrealistic to me.

Isn't warranty service for Honda available at any dealership?  And if so, purchase the generator wherever you can find it, and have the "good guys" service it when it becomes necessary.  There has to be a dealer in PP that would have them in stock, isn't there?

Is the current model number EU2000i?

• Like 1

Parrothead

Is the current model number EU2000i?

Here, they are model EU20i.

EU20i Leaflet in ENG (1).pdf

Different voltage, cycles, and power points, than the US models.

Edited by Paul