Parrothead

Farm Construction "To Do" list.

Parrothead
Now that we have successfully synchronized schedules, I can focus on priorities to start our projects at the farm.

1. Transportation - well, some sort of immediate transport to take us back and forth from town to the farm. We don't need a car, because we already have an agreement set with a neighbor, regarding shopping trips into town. I figure we will get a motorbike first, unless I happen on to a too-good-to-pass-up-opportunity, truck deal. (Estimated Time: 1 Day)  11 / March / 2017

March 2017, we purchased a Honda Dream motorbike. We later purchased a small trailer common to Cambodia. A beefy feller, for sure. Will carry 500 kilograms of corn on it, with no problems. Since then, we have also purchased a Honda 200 Shadow / Phantom, from John Bohn. No concerns about transport now.

2. Fill Dirt - in over the (old) pond and rear of the future house location. January 17th, 2016, was when we filled in the "old" pond. Over this first year, the dirt has settled about 1 meter. So, we are going to fill that probably 1.0 to 2.0 meters high, again. Just behind where the cattle currently are, we will need to fill in less than a meter high. (Estimated Time: 1 Day)

UPDATE: As of March, 2017, we have 120 dump truck loads of dirt filled in this area. Will still take some time to allow it to settle.

3. Move Cows - to the filled area over the old pond. Once the fill dirt has been added, we can move the current barn to keep the herd covered. (Estimated Time: 1 Day)

UPDATE: Cows have a 7 meters x 5 meters barn that houses them, currently. We also added a chicken house to the rear of the bar, 7 meters x 2.5 meters.

4. Drill 4" (10 cm) Well - and buy a water storage tank. While the water into the home will be pressurized, the water to feed all livestock will be gravity fed. I'm not sure what sized tank we will buy at first. Not to mention, we will need water to mix the concrete used in the home and other buildings and foundations. (Estimated Time: 2 Days) 

UPDATE: This has now been changed to a 6" (15 cm) well.

5. House Foundation - can then begin, the most important step to date. Hopefully, this can be started within one week of item #4.  (Estimated Time: 7 Days)

UPDATE: Looks like this will be awhile, due to the length of time necessary to let the ground settle, due to some much fill having been placed in the area. Due to having a pond there previously, we now have between 5 and 6 meters of fill dirt placed there.

6. Verify Mains Power Needs - for possible upgrade / add-on service drops. We currently have one drop, rated at 20 amperes. I could go as high as a 63 amperes rated connection. (Estimated Time: 1 Day)

UPDATE: Upgraded to 32 amperes. So far, holding well. No further upgrades necessary quite yet.

• Like 3

Parrothead

7. Internet Connection Via CPE510s - needs to be sorted. I have figured I will just buy a second connection at the farm, rather than to move this one. That way, we will still have internet here and at the farm, until we move entirely out there. Will take a bit of work yet, to get those synced and operational. (Estimated Time: 10 Days - including ISP connection installation.)

andy

Is having a new internet connection a problem with the location of the farm? I have a excellent WiFi service in koh Kong. But lately I have been looking at a new location in the countryside! The hotel I am staying nearby has a good connection.

andy

Location I have viewed about an hour or so from PP. Small plot of land to build a house and set up a good growing system. Lots of good commodities and community in the area. Will think about this seriously over some time while running my other projects.

Parrothead

Is having a new internet connection a problem with the location of the farm? I have a excellent WiFi service in koh Kong. But lately I have been looking at a new location in the countryside! The hotel I am staying nearby has a good connection.

I will have the same internet connection there that I do here, ADSL. The difference is, rather than the connection being at the farm, it will be at another location, 5 kilometers away. I will use CPE510 microwave antennas to transmit / receive the signal between each location, for the last 5 kilometers.

andy

Interesting concept.

andy

Have you sorted out tasks 1 to 6 to do?

Parrothead

Location I have viewed about an hour or so from PP. Small plot of land to build a house and set up a good growing system. Lots of good commodities and community in the area. Will think about this seriously over some time while running my other projects.

There is no need for us to consider buying more land, when we have plenty to do what we need on, already.

Parrothead

Interesting concept.

Nothing unusual about it. Cell phone towers broadcast similarly every day.

Parrothead
On 1/13/2017 at 9:56 PM, andy said:

Have you sorted out tasks 1 to 6 to do?

Haven't decided on transport yet.

Cows and fill dirt need to be finished by first week, though.