#21 mollydooker

mollydooker

Elite Poster

• 814 posts
  • 1,224 topics
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • LocationQuezon City Manila

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Paul is it shaded under trees ???....that would make a big difference to keeping the heat down ....

#22 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,823 posts
  • 809 topics
  • Local time: 05:51 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

How. Using natural air flow?

Scoffer's right:

Heat transfer is reduced when you introduce a second layer.

Natural air flow and a reduction in radiated heat will help keep the container cooler.

The heat of the Sun will be absorbed by the tin roof, rather than the insulated ceiling / roof of the container.

Paul is it shaded under trees ???....that would make a big difference to keeping the heat down ....

No trees. We may plant some around the container, though.

That's good news.

The tractor owner / operator only charged $30 USD, as well.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#23 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,621 posts
  • 84 topics

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Scoffer's right:

I know. If you remember I used air flow to cool my build. Never had to use a fan.

WP_20160731_004.jpg

Full riverside opening.

WP_20160731_001.jpg

Vented roof.

#24 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,823 posts
  • 809 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

I know. If you remember I used air flow to cool my build. Never had to use a fan.

Trust me, if I had no electronics and no other valuables to concern myself with, I would happily build a similar structure. However, as I have stated in other threads, my number one priority, BY FAR, is SECURITY.

Each door has what I call a triple deadbolt lock, with both day and night locking features - one twist of the key for half of the bolt to enter the door jam; two twists of the key for the full bolt to enter the door jam. I'm fairly sure most folks in Cambodia have probably seen these on homes. Quite a common style lock, usually found on many entrance doors to homes and businesses here.

In nicer places I have rented, the landlords have included the same style lock on the bedroom doors. On the odd occasion, I have had them upgrade to a lock which includes an additional bolt in both the top and bottom of the entrance door, locking in sync with the deadbolts that would secure the door in the door jam. Definitely higher security, making it much more difficult to gain entry through the door.

lock (2).jpg

I also have viewing Bosnian Bill's lock picking videos on YouTube, for some time. He shows you which locks are better for security, as well as which ones are worthless. He rates them by how long it takes him to pick the locks. Check out his videos sometime. 

Until I can find proper padlocks for added security, I will go with unprotected shank locks. But, I am in the market for some like the ones shown below, and that are more difficult to pick, to use while we are away from the farm for any length of time:

lock (1).jpg

lock (3).jpg

lock (4).jpg

Granted, most Khmers would probably not know how to pick a lock. However, if I can get more security, for a bit more money, why not do it? 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#25 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,823 posts
  • 809 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Vented roof.

Exactly what I am seeking. I want to keep the air flowing between the container's roof, which is also insulated, and the tin roof I add above it. Anything to keep the Sun from heating up the inside of the structure will work for me. 

The contractor welded a bracket for the air-con, on the side / end of the building. The external part of the a/c unit, the compressor, will be mounted there. It is high enough that, when adding the tin roof, the overhang will cover it well enough to keep it from direct contact with the elements. Hopefully, this will help give it a longer life. 

My ultimate goal is to see how low I can get my electric bill, while still running the air-con 24 / 7 / 365. At the moment, it typically runs about $150 USD / month. 

Edited by Paul, 09 May 2017 - 05:17 PM.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#26 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,823 posts
  • 809 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Got the electric sorted at the farm, yesterday. Upgraded the mains service drop. Running two homes off a single service, though. Honestly, could have just let a 10amp breaker feed the original farm house. They use very little power there. Mostly, they run an LED lamp at night for a few hours, prior to bed. The single power point is used, for the most part, to charge phones. The bill, typically, runs about $3.00 / month for the farm house.

Can't wait for Chan's Ma to see our first full bill. :D

Anyway, I had a box installed next to the container. Put 2 - 50 watts LED floods on the pole, facing opposite directions. Added a switch inside the box for the floods, and a double receptacle for running extension wires outside. Tomorrow, the Boss starts moving stuff out there, a mattress (having a Japanese style platform bed made here in BTB, which should be ready about the first week of June) and the rest of our aquaponics system. Then, just have to move the household items.

Thinking about buying a second refrigerator for the farm. Just not 100% yet. I really want a deep freezer for storage and making ice in larger quantities.  

Not sure if I mentioned this before. But, my iPhone was screwed up for a while. Apparently, the battery will eventually blow up like a balloon, if overcharged? Anyway, got the battery replaced the other day - $10.00. Took it, along with a tablet I got a couple of months ago and connected to the internet. While it is nothing like the speed I have here, it is doable until I can get the internet sorted there. 

Gettin' closer and closer, one day at a time! 

Edited by Paul, 13 May 2017 - 02:40 PM.

• andy likes this

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#27 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,823 posts
  • 809 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

New Roofing Material Thread

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.