Parrothead

Anyone ever upgrade a website before?

Parrothead

I'm talking online forum software.

Well, they tell me this is the last time. After IPB v4.0, it is all supposed to be like WordPress. To me, it's just one day closer to Skynet, and "the rise of the machines".

Okay, maybe it isn't quite that bad. But, it is still a pain in the arse to deal with, especially when they have come up with a completely - and buddy, I'm talkin' complete - ly, different control panel and forum software. No wonder they are on version 4.1.17.2, or something like that.

I imagine it cost them a cow, a calf, and two bull yearlings, to offer up as sacrifice to the forum gods, in order to get version 3 (what this forum is running now) converted to version 4.0. "But, it's automatic now, Paul. No more upgrading the software!" 

Well, friends and neighbors, that's fine and good. But, did ya fast forward in time to see what the Post-Apocalyptic World looked like, after they got smarter than us? I remember when you had to upload ALL new files, to upgrade WordPress software. Those were the good old days, honestly. Nowadays, your software will upgrade itself and send you an email letting you know it completed the task. So, now, any idiot can have a blog, without having to hire someone to do the work on the site for them. (Forum software, by the way is NOT a feckin' blog!) Automatic, almost completely. Visit the control panel of your WordPress site, and click a single button to upgrade your add-ons and such, on the site. 

IPS, the company that created this forum software, has really out done themselves this time. They have removed some features, while adding others. The worst part is, they have changed the names of some of the features that are still available. The ACP looks like something out of a bad Sci-Fi movie. At 50 years of age, having to learn an entirely new ACP (Administrator Control Panel), as well as learning about all the new features of the forums itself, is a major pain in the arse.

I have to say, when time comes - and it won't be that much longer, to upgrade this forum, I am not crazy about doing it at all. Honestly, I may just find another software to convert it to, one that still uses this format, and manual upgrades, etc. 

Okay, I reckon I am done with my rant - for now. 

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm going back to work on the ol' Living in Cebu Forums site.

jimmyboy

is it just cpanel Paul?

your hosting service should do it for you, or are you running a vps?

Guest Kenny

Please, PLEASE don't upgrade this site to look like the new LINC.

I have already messaged LINC that I for one can no longer navigate the LINC site

Kenny

mollydooker

Yes I am also having problems working that site ....thought it was just me !!

Parrothead

is it just cpanel Paul?

your hosting service should do it for you, or are you running a vps?

No, not cPanel. I run a VPS with WHM and cPanel, though.

I am talking about the silly assed issues with IPB (the same forum software used for this forum) v4.1, after upgrading from v3.4.7 (the version we are currently using for this forum). Just BS I have to deal with, mostly. Having to add modifications, now called "Plugins", just to get basic functions back that should be included in the core package of this "new and improved self upgrading version". 

Parrothead

I have already messaged LINC that I for one can no longer navigate the LINC site

Yes I am also having problems working that site ....thought it was just me !!

Guys, you need to give me something more to go on here. I need more than "no longer navigate" and "having problems working that site", to help you get your issues sorted. Please reply to some questions here, if you would please, for starters:

Currently, typing in www.livingincebuforums.com should take you to this URL: www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/index.php

1. Does that work for both of you okay? 

Here is a direct link to the login page, if you wish to use that rather than the link at the top right side of the page: www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/login/

NOTE: You MUST use your respective screen names, NOT your usernames, to log in. That is, you need the display name you have on the forum, in order to log in to it. In my case, I used "Paul", as that has been my display name on the site. 

Alternatively, you may still log in with your forum account email address, if you prefer, or cannot remember your display name.

2. So, are you able to log in okay, to the forum?

If you are having other issues, please let me know, specifically, what they are. I will help walk you through them. 

Parrothead

Ultimately, I will have no choice to do so. The only other option would be to find another forum software similar to this one. 

Guest Kenny

OK, using those links you provided helped a lot.

I think I'll be OK now but maybe you could point me to how to skin the site in something more easy on the eye.

Thanks

Read2Learn

Ultimately, I will have no choice to do so. The only other option would be to find another forum software similar to this one. 

There are forums online that are still using even older software, I came across one running IP.Board 3.4.7, why is it a must to upgrade a forum such as this which is not extremely busy, surely it does not pay for itself or for such upgrades?

Read2Learn

By the way, I am sorry you are having so many issues with the other forums software, thank you all for providing these forums for us members to use.

• Like 1