Parrothead

So, what now? Another rainwater harvesting project? Or, suck it up and deal with the wellman?

Parrothead
If you haven't already, please read "Another reason Cambodia will be a Third World country for the rest of my life", prior to this thread. 

===========================================

I have to say, now, having another 35 square meters of roof - the new barn, I'm seriously thinking of just going with rain catchment there, too, and start buying the large tanks. Trouble is, I don't know if I can collect enough rainwater to support the larger farm animals, as well as the smaller stock. 

Now, taking into account storage tanks, I am pretty sure it will be considerably more costly to go with rainwater harvesting, than a bore. This being due to the high volume water tanks we would have to keep to store water through dry season. But, we had planned on buying at least 1 - 8,000 liters (2113 US gallons) tank anyway, for the bore to keep filled. Then, we would let that tank feed water troughs for the cattle, etc., as necessary. 

To figure what it would run, it would be about $150 in parts, plus $560 USD for the first 8,000 liters tank. Then, each additional 10,000 liters (2642 US gallons) tank would run $1,100 USD. Between the farm house and the barn, I estimate the total gross rain collection volume around 124,920 liters (33,000 US gallons). We would probably need another 2 or 3 tanks, at a 10,000 liters volume each. (The well, even for him to scalp us on the pricing, is $2,000 USD.) 

I figured about 25 gallons per day, for Chan and I; much less for her parents. Either way, say 50 gallons (190 liters) per day for us, another 50 for the stock (doubtful this will be nearly enough for cattle, as I stated before, though). 100 gallons, times 180 days, equals 18,000 gallons (68,137 liters). Still leaves another 15,000 gallons (56,781 liters) for the stock. 

So, I either build a lot more roof rainwater collecting surface, or - we bite the bullet and pay that asshole's price to drill the bore. Sucks to be put in a spot by someone who has such unethical business practices. The sad part is, I think he is too dumb to realize that it isn't the money I am actually pissed about. It's him changing his story and his price. Had he told me $2,000 USD from day one, I would have either agreed to it, or disagreed and moved on. Now, I can't help but wonder what else he may change his mind about, maybe even DURING the drilling!