7 replies to this topic

#1 scoffer

scoffer

Regular Poster

• 65 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 07:43 AM

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

I'm very tempted to buy a piece of land an build on it.

It will be a mix of house and small scale food production, 

It's just under an acre and backs onto the Mekong  about 40 Klm outside of PP

Highway 6 about 4 klm after the Prekta Meak Bridge.

I don't need to infill the land as that was done over 10 yrs ago, 

I can construct a house or put housing containers on it as desired.

Basic building costs to a western standard need to be understood.

Cost per sq mtr for concrete slab with steel reinforcement is the first thing I need to understand.

Any suggestions on cost ???

Onto this I'll erect steel RSJ's to support the 2nd floor, roof, patio etc and create the 2nd level floor from light weight pre fabricated concrete panels that can be lifted into place.

This is just a thought and your comments are appreciate.

#2 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Local time: 04:43 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Cost per sq mtr for concrete slab with steel reinforcement is the first thing I need to understand.

We priced concrete - redi-mix, from a guy near the farm. $50 - $55 USD per m3. From Battambang, delivered to the farm would be as high as $70 USD per m3, if buying at least 6 m3 at once.

Edited by Paul, 11 May 2017 - 09:52 PM.

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#3 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Ready-mixed concrete is the easy way! Calculate what quantity you need, such as the area and depth per meter. Have all your shuttering and re-bar in place, and access for the wagon to pore the cement, then you just need to tamper the cement.

Alternately work out the area and materials, for mixing yourself. Hire day labour. This may work out at a lower cost, but maybe more planning and hassle. :)   

#4 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Chaos Remediation Engineer

• 1,715 posts
  • 70 topics
  • LocationKien Svay

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

I seem to recall Humphrey suggesting that finished house cost to basic western standard is around $60/m

#5 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

This can be a little confusing, First you need to calculate per square meter the area you want to lay concrete, and then the depth. Use the measurements calculation to the cubic meter.

1 cubic metre = approx. 600kg
You therefore need 450kg sand and 150kg cement. Then the hard core materials you desire for adequate strength.   

• Paul likes this

#6 scoffer

scoffer

Regular Poster

• 65 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Local time: 07:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

I'm a bit grumpy today, the piece of land in question came to my attention 12-14 months ago but was not for sale back then and as I had no intention of purchasing a property in Camb I did not consider it as a possibility..

I was back for Khmer NY and noticed it had a for sale sign on it and got the inlaws to find out the price.

I told them I was "VERY" interested in the land and asked them to find out how much.

They came back with the first asking price which I said was too much,  told them ask for a discount, lets start the negotiation process.

Somehow they decided I would be better off buying an overpriced piece of land ( 3 x the price I was looking at )  on highway 6 and that I should build a house on it and sell water to people passing by because that gave you small money everyday.

The block has now been sold and I'm rather pissed off.

#7 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,764 posts
  • 802 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

The block has now been sold and I'm rather pissed off.

Sorry to hear, man.

What area of the country?

Unfortunately, and all too often, that is what family will do to you when trying to "help".

Sometimes, Chan's family will try to convince me to construct a project a different way from how I am doing it. I just have her explain that foreigners do things crazy. And, if they would like to pay for it, I will be happy to have it built the way they want it done.
  • andy likes this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#8 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,567 posts
  • 78 topics

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Pauls comment is very true.