luvthai2003

English Teaching

luvthai2003

Here's the situation. I'm 63, several months away from moving to PP, no college degree, retired on a disability pension and wanting to supplement my monthly pension a bit with some part-time English teaching. Which schools should I seek out? And what about the feasibility of setting up private lessons in your home? Does that work in Cambodia? And, wanting to make sure I'm up front and honest with my teaching income, which visa should I apply for? Thank you for your help.

andy

Firstly there are teachers on this site whom may give you more information you may need.

Has for the visa, I think I would get the business visa, because I would suspect you will need a work permit. If you work for a school they may or should provide this for you.

I know many people work here with or without qualification's. A friend of mine as just finished his TEFL course in Cambodia, at a price of $1500. It maybe lower cost in your own Country.

I have seen teaching jobs advertised on other forum sites in Cambodia, qualified and unqualified, the latter would usually be lower paid. A job possibly for the traveling backpacker.

For part time private teaching, I know of some doing this, mostly they work for enjoyment and the reward payment of food.

When I applied for my work permit! Funny story, the head of immigration also had a school here, she asked me if I would teach for them. :)    

• Like 1

Parrothead
Here's the situation. I'm 63,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, I believe there is an age cut off, and you may have already passed it. If not passed, are damned close to it. Two teachers of the top of my head, are Andrew (dicey eye) and John (John_Galt). They both may be able to confirm this for me. If neither of them replies to this thread, maybe send them a PM through the site.

Another thing way of teaching, that has become fairly popular, is teaching online. You may explore that avenue as well.

With that said, there is a friend of mine, right here in Battambang, whom I know is at least retirement age. He teaches here, but not much. It's like one class per day? But, I don't know if he is paid, or if he volunteers.

• Like 1

John_Galt

Here's the situation. I'm 63, several months away from moving to PP, no college degree, retired on a disability pension and wanting to supplement my monthly pension a bit with some part-time English teaching. Which schools should I seek out? And what about the feasibility of setting up private lessons in your home? Does that work in Cambodia? And, wanting to make sure I'm up front and honest with my teaching income, which visa should I apply for? Thank you for your help.

It will be harder because of your age but you should still be able to find something especially part time. 

I have never lived in PP so I dont know the names of any schools but I would try any school that teaches English and is not a "real" university. Look respectable and talk slowly and clearly. 

For private lessons it would depend on how much you are charging. A small group would be easier than 1 on 1 to get enough money to make it worth it. 

Get the business visa. 

• Like 1

Parrothead

Here is a file that a local school just uploaded to a group, here in Battambang:

Job opportunity.doc

DISCLAIMER: Please note, I am not endorsing this school in any way, shape, or form. I know as little as anyone else may, regarding English teaching schools, here in Cambodia. I know far more than I would like to, as well.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

andy

A friend of mine as just finished his TEFL course in Cambodia

The person in question is 61 years of age. I truly hope it's not been a waste of time for him. 

phuketrichard

Why did u choose PP to move too? Been there before?

You have zero experience teaching: do u really want subject ur students to an unprofessional, untrained person teaching them?

Teaching is more than just standing in the front of the classroom speaking english

sorry, but all these people thinking that teaching english cause they can speak English is the answer to living in Cambodia, do not think of the adverse affect they have on the students.

Teaching is a profession, not a way to extend ur vacation or bring in some extra income.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Parrothead

You have zero experience teaching: do u really want subject ur students to an unprofessional, untrained person teaching them?

Then, I suggest you go have the same talk with many of those people who teach English all over this country. I have met TONs of people, both men and women, who had never taught a day in their lives, prior to arriving in Cambodia. But, they ended up in the "Land of Wonder" and behind a desk, teaching English.

Teaching is more than just standing in the front of the classroom speaking english

I could imagine it wouldn't be much more than exactly that, Richard. In fact, I know a number of people, for example, who have taught English in China. The Chinese students want to be your buddy after class, just to be able to speak English as much as possible, in hopes of improving their language skills.

sorry, but all these people thinking that teaching english cause they can speak English is the answer to living in Cambodia, do not think of the adverse affect they have on the students.

Adverse effect?! Begging your pardon, Richard. But, you don't know what the feck you are talking about. Having Khmer teachers, who wouldn't know proper English if it hit them in the face, are teaching many of these students. That is only spreading improper English like a disease. There is no way it could be worse, by having a native English speaker talking with them on a daily basis. Surely, you don't really believe that line of shit you are peddling??

Teaching is a profession, not a way to extend ur vacation or bring in some extra income.

Go tell that to some of your English teaching buddies (here in Cambodia), on other forums. See what they have to say.

• Like 3

andy

Adverse effect?! Begging your pardon, Richard. But, you don't know what the feck you are talking about. Having Khmer teachers, who wouldn't know proper English if it hit them in the face, are teaching many of these students. That is only spreading improper English like a disease. There is no way it could be worse, by having a native English speaker talking with them on a daily basis. Surely, you don't really believe that line of shit you are peddling??

Paul I can see the angle Richard is coming from. One prime example is the low budget traveling backpacker. 

Parrothead

Paul I can see the angle Richard is coming from. One prime example is the low budget traveling backpacker. 

That's fine, if he had stated that. But, he is talking about a man who has worked his entire life. Granted, not as a teacher. But, I think he is mature enough to sort out teaching English, just as you or I could. 

• Like 2