Jools

Best options for getting smaller bills in USD?

Jools

I'm sure this has been answered many times, so just point me to the appropriate thread. The ATMs spit out hundred dollar bills and I need fives tens and twenties.

Edited by Jools

John_Galt

I just go into the bank to get smaller bills changed.

I have never been charged for changing US dollars to smaller US dollars. 

• Like 1

Jools

Thanks. the ATM at immigration seemed to only dispense hundreds with no options for smaller bills. Asking questions was futile, since they seemed committed to confusing me as much as possible. Contrary to what I had read, they allowed me to pay for the tourist visa in baht, but ripped me on the amount.

Parrothead

I'm sure this has been answered many times, so just point me to the appropriate thread. The ATMs spit out hundred dollar bills and I need fives tens and twenties.

A few days ago, Chan brought home 2 - five dollar notes she received as change from a vendor. These were the first I had seen in a while. As John stated, if anything below a $10 USD note is necessary, you can draw what you need from the ATM, and then simply walk inside most banks, where they will break them into fives and ones, if necessary. 

Riel here is so commonplace, and in such small denominations, that you typically don't need fives and ones. 

100r =       .025¢

500r =       .125¢

1,000r =       .25¢

5,000r =   $1.25

10,000r =   $2.50

50,000r = $12.50

• Like 1

Parrothead

Asking questions was futile, since they seemed committed to confusing me as much as possible.

English Comprehension is an oxymoron, here in Cambodia. So, that may have played a big part of it, as well.

• Like 1

andy

Contrary to what I had read, they allowed me to pay for the tourist visa in baht, but ripped me on the amount.

That is very usual of them to do that.

I just go into the bank to get smaller bills changed.

I have never been charged for changing US dollars to smaller US dollars. 

I know of my customers who use the ATM's. They bring their large dollar bills to the bar an only, probably drink one beer.

Very considerate of Paul and John to have change.  

• Like 2

Parrothead

They bring their large dollar bills to the bar an only, probably drink one beer.

Don't you hate when they do that? If you don't happen to have enough change to cover their one beer, you, or staff, have to go running around with a one-hundred dollar note, in hopes one of your neighboring businesses can change it. Seems like they would have the decency to step inside the bank and break at least one note, prior to visiting their local pub / restaurant. 

andy

Seems like they would have the decency to step inside the bank and break at least one note

It's to be expected in business, they are the customers buying your product. It gets difficult when five or more customers do the same, in the same day all having a nice crispy $100 bill. I find it difficult to get enough change from the bank as it is, for the days running.

People don't seem to go to Khmer shops with large bills, and if so they usually get a glare from the owner, being told small loy.  

Parrothead

People don't seem to go to Khmer shops with large bills, and if so they usually get a glare from the owner, being told small loy.  

Ahhh. That is the PERFECT way to stop that from happening to you.

When a customer has a beer or two, then hands you a $100 USD note, do not say anything to them. Simply take the note, then give them all the change due to them - in Cambodian Riel. Won't take long for that mess to stop. :D :D

• Like 2

andy

Simply take the note, then give them all the change due to them - in Cambodian Riel. Won't take long for that mess to stop.

I does not make a difference Paul. Riel, Dollar and the Thai Baht here too. Baht is a pain, I have to look at the currency rate and convert.

Plus my water and electric every month must be paid in Baht.