Parrothead

Anyone using Chrome web browser?

Parrothead

Last night, something happened with my desktop. The way it happened, it seemed as though my primary internal storage drive had failed. That is, I have a C: drive, like others do. But, most of the data is stored on another internal drive. I do that, so my operating system is the only thing on the C: drive, while the programs, even the desktop loads from the E: drive. Then, I have two external drives, that I use for other storage not frequently needed.

Anyway, after working on it for a while, I grew frustrated and got a few hours sleep. After waking up, I was able to think clearly, then start again. I got the computer restored, and learned that either Chrome, or a Chrome Add-On, was responsible for the error, according to the computer report anyway. I still have to explore this more, to find out what actually happened. But, for now, my machine is back up and running, with all drives intact.

So, not sure who else may be using Windows 10 as their O/S, and Chrome as their browser. But, this could happen to you. Be prepared. 

Blackeye

Using Win10  and Chrome

Parrothead

Using Win10  and Chrome

Probably an Add-On.

andy

I use the same Windows 10 and Chrome. But I must admit I prefer to use another browser. Windows 10 on my phone also.

Blackeye

I mostly run an ad block and some dev tools as extensions. 

Bill H

Paul, I'm running W10 and Chrome.  I'm happy with both.  Are you sure you have two different physical drives?  Usually, they partition your loan hard drive into two or three drives, like C, D, and E, but it's really just one physical drive.  When it goes, you're screwed.  This happened to me just before I came back, so I replaced the one terabyte hard drive with an SSD (solid state) drive, no moving parts.  I believe it's the heat here that kills the drives as well as the bouncing around they do when you travel.  The SSD drive should last longer and it did not cost any more.

Parrothead

Paul, I'm running W10 and Chrome.  I'm happy with both.  Are you sure you have two different physical drives?  Usually, they partition your loan hard drive into two or three drives, like C, D, and E, but it's really just one physical drive.  When it goes, you're screwed.  This happened to me just before I came back, so I replaced the one terabyte hard drive with an SSD (solid state) drive, no moving parts.  I believe it's the heat here that kills the drives as well as the bouncing around they do when you travel.  The SSD drive should last longer and it did not cost any more.

LOL. Yeah, pretty sure. While I didn't install this one, I have serviced it since owning it. I have, however, installed my other (almost duplicated) desktop, with a similar SSD as my C: drive and a 1 gig storage drive as my E: drive.  Been building them for a very long time. Just never had this sort of issue to come up before. Then, it came up, back to back, on two computers running the same O/S and same browser with the same Add-Ons. Hasn't happened again, since I disabled all add-ons. 

Parrothead

I keep smallish (100 gig plus) primary drives, solely for the O/S and a few programs / applications, and use the E: drives solely for storage. Then, I have two backup drives, that are USB 3.0, for backups. I'm thinking about trying to do an upgrade by the end of this year, on both machines. 

Blackeye

Now that SSDs are getting cheap I've gone back to mostly running off the boot drive; I generally just reassign docs and downloads to the NAS

Parrothead

I generally just reassign docs and downloads to the NAS

I should probably do the same. I used to run full towers with RAID arrays, when I lived in the Philippines.