#21 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,742 posts
  • 97 topics
  • Local time: 01:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

When I first came here and moved remote, I could cope with no Wi-Fi, and just traveling to a place what had when I needed. Now I don't think I would consider it has a option. I do need that connection with the outside world. Most of all English speaking and conversation. 

#22 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 273 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 05:00 AM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Paul,

Just as a matter of interest:-

All the antennas you showed with the above URLs must be active antennas to appear to have the claimed gains.

(ie they contain Tx and Rx amplifiers and some way to isolate Tx from Rx (In some cases, 2 physically separate antennas and coax's, apparently).

The ~35 degree beamwidth quoted for one of them, corresponds to a 13dBi antenna gain, so the rest of it's gain must be amplifier gain. Much more than 10dB of antenna amplifier gain starts to get rather difficult to achieve in a product of low/moderate cost.

Amplifiers need to be supplied with (unknown values) voltage and current, presumably up the coax from the router. So a compatible router  must include a power-feeding capability.

My calculations for your WiFi proposal depended entirely on the accuracy of some salesman's claim the the router's limiting range is 10m.

..............A classic case of  "trust me - I'm a salesman" ? ......... Lol!

I think I'd rather rely on the CPE kit and the barber! 

Cheers!

Edited by Oz Jon, 02 August 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#23 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

If I understand what alternative you have in mind - its to use a  HUAWEI E5573s-856 WiFi router at the farm end, good for 10m claimed range (presumably at 1800/2100 or 2500/2300MHz) to work over a 4.5 to 5km range?

If so, then assuming the thing works OK at 10M range, then you want a 500:1 increase in range.
That will need 20*log(500) = 54dB more gain needed. (practically the same, 53dB if your path is 4.5km)....That's a tall order# at around 2GHz!!

Sorry for the late reply. 

The E5573s-856 would receive on those given frequency ranges from the cell towers - from whatever distance it is from the nearest cell tower. It would then broadcast locally (within 10 meters radius), on WiFi a given WiFi frequency to my devices.

The antenna options offered, would, hopefully increase the signal received by the Eff73s-856. This would, in turn, increase my device connection reliability and speed. 

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#24 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Yes, that's far and away your best solution - probably your only solution.
The long-range WiFi reception idea doesn't look practical.
Best you polish-up your diplomacy, negotiating and bribery skills and use them on the barber!- Lol!

Agreed. I have known this since I began trying to sort something out with anyone who lives just off, or near the highway - or, near the node. The barber's shop just happens to be pretty close to the node. The node is located in the area of the wat. See the attached image, below:

barber_node.jpg

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#25 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Most of all English speaking and conversation.

If we don't have it, at least sometimes, we would probably end up having gone round the bend.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#26 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

Paul,

Just as a matter of interest:-

All the antennas you showed with the above URLs must be active antennas to appear to have the claimed gains.

(ie they contain Tx and Rx amplifiers and some way to isolate Tx from Rx (In some cases, 2 physically separate antennas and coax's, apparently).

The ~35 degree beamwidth quoted for one of them, corresponds to a 13dBi antenna gain, so the rest of it's gain must be amplifier gain. Much more than 10dB of antenna amplifier gain starts to get rather difficult to achieve in a product of low/moderate cost.

Amplifiers need to be supplied with (unknown values) voltage and current, presumably up the coax from the router. So a compatible router  must include a power-feeding capability.

My calculations for your WiFi proposal depended entirely on the accuracy of some salesman's claim the the router's limiting range is 10m.

..............A classic case of  "trust me - I'm a salesman" ? ......... Lol!

I think I'd rather rely on the CPE kit and the barber! 

Cheers!

To be honest, I just don't want to:

A. Have to recharge the battery inside the WiFi SIM router, every four hours.

B. Have to disassemble the unit, remove the battery, remove the SIM, place the SIM in a phone, and then add data credit to it.

C. Reverse the process in item B.

Those reasons, alone, are enough for me to continue looking elsewhere first, to install the CPE-510s. They would DEFINITELY be a much better option for me. 

Edited by Paul, 02 August 2017 - 12:20 PM.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#27 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Oh, the distance from the barber and the farm is still about the same, right at 5.0 kilometers. I think the number of obstacles would probably be fewer, though, than from other locations. If we could run the CPE-510 from his home, the distance was something like 4.50 kilometers. But, his home is like 700 meters off the highway. All in all, though, he is still not too far from the node. I'm merely thinking of the fastest the connection would be, would be to broadcast the signal, from as close as possible, to the node. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#28 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

• 273 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Right Paul.

The path from the Barber's shop looks pretty good, with no near-end obstructions. Much the same as the one we looked at before. At 5km, a bit shorter or longer path length makes very little difference (maybe 1dB).

I'd keep the antenna height at the barbers end low (just clearing line-of-sight, 12-15ft maybe?) and make provision for up to 30ft at the farm.

You could probably get away with less than 30ft antenna height at the farm, maybe 25ft or so.

30ft capability is easy to get at the farm, with something as cheap/simple as a bamboo pole.#

It doesn't need to be very stiff because the CPE's antennas have quite a big beamwidth and can tolerate a bit of deflection.

Good luck with it all Paul.

Let me know how it goes and feel free to ask my advice, if some problem crops up

Cheers

# maybe 3x30ft poles, lashed together at the top, 3ft triangular base spread? - quite stiff and climbable.

Edited by Oz Jon, 02 August 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#29 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

• 273 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'm not at all clear about what happens at the source-end.

Is the data input to the barber's-end CPE hard wired? 

Or do you need to pick it up (by WiFi?) from a tower 700m away?

Is that why the WiFi router (with higher gain antennas) is needed?

If so, assuming router normal range of 10m is correct, for 700m range you will need 20*log(700/10) = 37dB of additional router antenna gain.

Maybe the

35DBI 3G 4G LTE TS9 Antenna HUAWEI

Will just do the job? .... A bit marginal at 2dB short! .....The other 2 antenna prospects certainly will not do 700m.

You need to check that 10m normal range and 700m tower distance are both correct.

Edited by Oz Jon, 02 August 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#30 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

• 273 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

That 3rd antenna advert (below) suggests that this antenna can give a range of about 12 miles!!!

That is not consistent with it's gain and the salesman's claim that the basic router range is 10m.

Something's very wrong here

The odd real fact would be handy!

...............................................................................................................................................................

Suitable for all systems:

LTE800 LTE1800 LTE2600

2G, 3G,HSPA,HSPA+, DC-HSPA

works also with lower connection type: HSDPA, UMTS, 3G, HSPA

for MIMO USB/WIFI DONGLES :

Huawei :

E5786 E5372 E5573 E5577 E5372

outdoor/indoor MAX ~ 12 miles from BTS