#1 Blackeye

Blackeye

Smile

• 307 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • LocationWorkers Paradise of Kaliforniastanica

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

So if you're like me you sometimes have to send some funding overseas to friends or family. I've done it many ways, but in the recent past my service of choice, RemitHome, was consumed by transfast. The new outfit seemed not as good, but the rate was fine and they had no obvious issues so I let inertia rule and continued to use them. Until yesterday.

Raise your hand if you know what a phishing scam looks like.

I went to log in yesterday, and a page that said "we have sent you an email" opened, and I couldn't access the site. The email asked me to click a magic link and then the resulting page started off by asking for my login creds and then bank and credit card info. Does this sound at all familiar? This is precisely what a phishing scam would look like. But they are doing it to their own customers. Is it legit? I believe so. Is it a sign they don't take security seriously? In my opinion, absolutely yes. 

I'll never use them again, and I'd urge anyone here who uses them to consider their options. 

• Paul, luvthai2003, Read2Learn and 1 other like this

#2 luvthai2003

luvthai2003

Regular Poster

• 169 posts
  • 28 topics
  • Local time: 06:04 PM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

Blackeye, I get those all the time. They try using my bank (Chase), Amazon account, Yahoo, YouTube, et al. I'm assuming Africans from Nigeria and other countries in Africa, or from Russians. My assumptions are based on the type of poor English being used.

#3 Oz Jon

Oz Jon

ANYONE can do easy things!

• 271 posts
  • 7 topics
  • Local time: 12:04 PM
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

......But they are doing it to their own customers. Is it legit? I believe so. Is it a sign they don't take security seriously? In my opinion, absolutely yes......

Probably, Transfast had nothing to do with that scam attempt? - just that the scammer managed to get into their communications?

As luvthai has pointed out, this kind of stuff shows-up on many other websites too.

I've seen a few similar ones myself.

I suggest that you send a copy of the scam message to Transfast's "Security Department", so that they know what is happening and maybe can do something about it

Cheers

• luvthai2003 likes this

#4 Blackeye

Blackeye

Smile

• 307 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • LocationWorkers Paradise of Kaliforniastanica

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Probably, Transfast had nothing to do with that scam attempt? - just that the scammer managed to get into their communications?

As luvthai has pointed out, this kind of stuff shows-up on many other websites too.

I've seen a few similar ones myself.

I suggest that you send a copy of the scam message to Transfast's "Security Department", so that they know what is happening and maybe can do something about it

Cheers

I contacted them - the 'Transfast account security team' representative argued that since the email directed customers to their legit portal it was all good. Complete fail. 

It's them, and they appear clueless to me. 

CLV

• Paul and Oz Jon like this

#5 luvthai2003

luvthai2003

Regular Poster

• 169 posts
  • 28 topics
  • Local time: 06:04 PM

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

When in any little bit of doubt, I type the site address into the url, or I open up the app, if available. It's a bloody cat and mouse game with these idiots.
  • Paul likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: remit, money, scam