Photo
- - - - -

A few changes started, and coming, at the farm with beekeeping.

honey bees apiary beekeeping extractor split hives split queen swarm cell swarm

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Local time: 12:57 AM
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:13 AM

Greetings:

I have been pretty sick for a while. Coughing my guts up, for the most part. Have been delayed in returning to the farm due to the crud that I have contracted. Chan was able to talk with our regular pharmacist, though, who is a godsend for us. Honestly, she should have been a doctor. She recommended the appropriate medication once again, to help me get rid of yet, another illness. I hope to be over this enough to travel to the farm this morning (past midnight here, currently).

Anyway, a little while back, I went ahead and moved forward regarding building our own wood ware, even though the table saw deal had fallen through. (For those who may not have read about it, I was issued a full refund from eBay.) I figured something would happen. And, it apparently has. I met a Khmer fellow who grew up in the US, having returned here about the time I came to Cambodia - back in 2012. He also happens to live not very far from the farm. He also happens to have a wood workshop, where we should be able to build the parts necessary for us to build our own hives and such. (I will try to get him involved in beekeeping, too.)

So, this too, is a godsend - and for two reasons.

Firstly, it has allowed me to meet a guy who is on the same page as me, but also lives near the farm. (Most of the foreigners I know, live within Battambang City limits.) Someone I can relate to on a westerner's level, and who understands what I am thinking about things. In short, someone I can damned talk with, to prevent me from going crazy at the farm. (I seem to recall a certain member, without mentioning any names, who said I wouldn't last six months at the farm. The odds just went more into my favor.)

Secondly, he and I can combine our resources and build things that may benefit us both, in our respective interests. It will be great to be able to work hands on, building my girls their own "bee housing". :)

Anyway, I had purchased a 3 horsepower compressor with a 50 Liters tank and two hose connections. I just have not taken the time to use it yet, because I am still lacking in some other tools. It seems as though, my new friend may have what I need, including the table saw. Anyway, here is the compressor and its respective accessories:

IMG_0236_cr.JPG

IMG_0238_r.jpg

IMG_0232_r.jpg

Brad nailer with 15mm, 20mm, & 30mm brads

IMG_0229_r.jpg

Staple gun with 8mm staples.

IMG_0231_r.jpg

Not sure how long the air guns will last. They were only $15 / $16 USD, each.

Not seen: 2 each - 9 meters length air hoses with quick disconnect couplings.

Edited by Paul, 19 September 2017 - 12:18 AM.

• andy likes this

--------------

Q: You want to learn about the Philippines?
A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#2 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:30 AM

On another note, On September 3rd, we attempted to start our first hive split, which basically means creating a new hive from an existing hive, while continuing the existing hive. On the 14th, we inspected it again, only to find 3 additional cells in the nuc. 

So, being the dumb newbie I was and without thinking, I had Chan destroy the new queen cells. This is an event I will not soon forget. But, Chan and I both have been sick since. However, we will head to the farm later this morning and see if we can still save this split, by adding more eggs and capped brood. If I am unable to do that, I will just merge the split hive with one of the other hives and try again later. 

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#3 dicey eye

dicey eye

Posting Addict

• 2,035 posts
  • 170 topics

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

This is an event I will not soon forget. But, Chan and I both have been sick since.

More detail please. Sounds intriguing.

• Paul likes this

#4 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

More detail please. Sounds intriguing.

Sorry. I will just have to keep everyone in suspense.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#5 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

One thing I did fail to mention was, a buddy who has a number of hives, and who lives down south of us a good ways, has a 2 frame manual honey extractor, never used, that he has decided to replace. (A 2 frame extractor is a LOT smaller than what he needs to use. But, would be perfect for us.)

extractor.jpg

We should receive it sometime after the first of next (October) month.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

#6 andy

andy

Posting Addict

• Forum Sponsor
  • 1,742 posts
  • 97 topics

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

beeCapture.PNG

Never seen one of these. Saw a program on Khmer TV about them the other day.

#7 Paul

Paul

My Son, Quinn

• Tech Support
  • 6,977 posts
  • 819 topics
  • Locationបាត់ដំបង

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Never seen one of these.

Makes two of us.

--------------

A:
Living In Cebu Forums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: honey, bees, apiary, beekeeping, extractor, split hives, split, queen, swarm cell, swarm