Parrothead

Wifi is pretty common in most businesses here, Monte. Many have an ADSL connection, through fiber optic cable (coming from Phnom Penh), connected to routers in their respective locations. Of course, the cell phone services, like MetFone for example, offer USB dongles you can plug in and use for your internet service. I have been using Metfone for over a month, now. I am quite happy with it. And, it is faster than the fastest local connection you can get through fiber optic. Currently fiber optic provides up to 3.5 Megabits per second, downstream.

casey

Wow Paul, glad to know it's working for you.

Are you using the "Metfone USB 3G Wifi MF30 speed 7.2Mbps" plan, or which plan do you recommend for fast internet access? Need more details to join your Happy camp!

Casey W

Parrothead

Wow Paul, glad to know it's working for you.

Are you using the "Metfone USB 3G Wifi MF30 speed 7.2Mbps" plan, or which plan do you recommend for fast internet access? Need more details to join your Happy camp!

Casey W

Here is a result from a test I did a few nights ago:

2083908152.png

I suggest Metfones fastest plan, at $12.00 USD. If you buy the dongle, the SIM, and a $12 USD credit, the total cost should be $42.00 USD.

casey

Great. will try your recommendations when I am there.

I trade stock options and will report on my Internet experience later. Cheers! :yahoo:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      You may have noticed something new in posts, since we upgraded to v4 of the IPB software. That new addition, is Acronym Expansion. You will notice a dotted line under acronyms / initials, like IPS, for example, the creators of the IPB software. If you mouse over these various groups of letters, a popup window will show you the expanded meaning of those initials, in case you may not be familiar with them. I will try to add more of these, as they come to mind, or as I see them in various posts on the site. If you have any you would like to see added, just let me know. Here are a few I have added, which some of you may find useful:

EOS, FWCMS, COLA, DOB, NGO, FUBAR, PPPPPPP,  SFA, FFS, YMMV, etc. 

For some of us who appreciate electronics, computers and such, AC, DC, SPST, SPDT, NiFe, NiCd, AH, FLA, GUI, WiFi, WAN, LAN, SWR, EER, BTU, BTUh, etc. 

I have also added some cities in Cambodia, PP, SR, BTB, and SHV.

Lastly, I have added various currencies and miscellaneous other acronyms. I have 104 acronyms, currently. Always adding more, as time permits.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      @Oz Jon, I was informed today that Cootel was going to move tower locations (READ: already had moved), thus causing the signal to drop at the farm. We are talking a serious drop in signal, so much that they suggested we discontinue the service with them. My thread regarding our Cootel service.

Fortunately, I had already begun to cover all my bases, by contacting the omnidirectional antenna manufacturer, via email, for price and availability on a yagi antenna offering similar specs (frequency range, impedance, etc.). And, I have been discussing with you, the possibly sending the signal from my apartment in the city, to the farm, as well.

Anyway, below is the specs sheet for the omni, which I sent to him. He, quite obviously, did not read the subject line of the email, or the specs sheet, aside from the model number of the antenna. 

Here are a couple of the (several) PDFs he sent to me:

TDJ-1900ACY7.pdf
      TDJ-1900SP10.pdf

Keep in mind, I was quite clear in the frequency range I needed, which was stated in the subject line, as well as on the specs sheet.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      What I am talking about here is, do you ever experience pages taking a long time to load, or not loading at all? An example is clicking on a link, with the page showing that it is loading, but it doesn't? Sometimes, you may think it is your internet service provider, or other reasons concerning your internet connection. But, this may not always be the case.

To see if it is your connection, the first thing I would try is using the CMD prompt and pinging Yahoo!'s servers. You can do this by clicking on Start, then typing "CMD". When that application shows, click on it. When it opens, at the prompt type the following:  cd\ (This step is actually optional. It's just a habit I have gotten into over the years. You can go directly to the following, after opening the CMD application.)

Type: ping 8.8.8.8 /t then press Enter. The window should look like this, at this point:

NOTE: Your computer will continue to ping the server until you close the window. 

If you do not see lines similar to above, but see something like "Request timed out." showing up in between those lines (or instead of those lines), it will be an issue with your LAN cable, your WiFi adapter, or possibly your ISP. If, however, the pings return solid results (like shown above), then you can look at your browser as the possible culprit.

Requirement: Download other browsers, or at least one to use to perform the following test. Personally, I keep several different browsers on my computers. Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and Safari, are typical examples.

Now, if you are fairly sure it isn't the internet connection, having performed the above test, you should try another browser. Open a second browser of your choice. See if the same links take as long to load, as they do when using your primary browser. If they load faster every time, it is probably an add-on, or some other change that has taken place with your primary browser. 

The easiest way to sort this, without taking time to disable every option in the browser, is to go into your browser settings and simply reset it to its original default condition. In Chrome, for example, click on the white arrow with green background, in top right corner of your browser. Then, scroll down and click on "Settings".

Go to the bottom of your Settings page and click on "Advanced". Continue scrolling to the bottom of the Settings page. At the very bottom, in the "Reset and clean up" box, click on "Reset".

When the following popup opens, click "Reset". 

All done. No need to even close your browser and open it again. See if those same links take as long to open. Hopefully, this has sorted your problems. If not, feel free to contact me and I will see if I can help sort it for you. Alternatively, you can shoot your computer. That, I assure you, will sort the issue.

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      I took some tests at SpeedTest.net, last night.

UPDATED tests 12 / March / 14 - This time, with the boss actively using the internet as well.

Ping rates to the states suck, though. For someone like an online investor, I think this wouldn't be quite as good?

Just after 6pm local time, 14 / March / 2014.

Between 3:45am and 4:00am, 15 / March / 2014.

• Guest Kenny
      By Guest Kenny
      From Phnom Penh Post
      Wednesday 26th June 2013
      By Anne Renzenbrink and Daniel de Carteret

Cambodia’s largest internet service provider Ezecom announced yesterday that it would help build the country’s first submarine communications cable, a move that should strengthen the company’s hold on the market and dramatically improve internet service at a lower cost.
      Read More Here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.