N75544

Buying Citizenship?

N75544

Strange question, but I could of swore I read it here, (could be another website, really don't remember) but, based on this being a commission society, how much would it cost to purchase citizenship, no bullshit wife or anything like that, but honest to god, just going in and buying the documents. Mainly so you can circumnavigate not owning land and/or business.

Guest Kenny

I don't think you can, but...

Cambodian citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Person has resided for at least five years in the country, knows the language and culture, has a steady means of support, and is of good moral character.

That language thing would be the bummer.

This is only my opinion but I believe the reason SEA countries are so concerned about these things is not to keep westerners out but to keep adjoining countries out.

Remember that it's not so long ago that these laws did not exist and the Chinese damn near took everything over.

Most of Thai and to a certain extent RP financial and retailing is Thais with direct Chinese ancestors.

The prime minister of Cambodia has Chinese ancestry (grandfather)

The prime minister of Thailand has Chinese ancestry (great grandfather)

The citizenship rules are so strict that even being born in Cambodia (or Thailand) does not make you a citizen.

In those countries the rule is that the child is the nationality of the father.

N75544

Hmmm... well, it's still worth a shot for fun to see who you could bribe. (My type of fun... hehe the who can you bribe without being arrested game) I dono.... It would be interesting to find out.... one hell of a loophole to buy real estate there....

Art

This real estate website suggests you can.

http://www.propertydream.net/about.php

Option 5: Acquisition of Honorary Cambodian Citizenship

A foreigner may be granted honorary Cambodian citizenship if he or she donates a significant sum of money to the Royal Government of Cambodia for the purposes of benefiting the people of Cambodia. Foreigners who have made a special impact or rendered exceptional help to the Kingdom may also be granted this honour in recognition of their expertise or altruism.

One consequence of being granted honorary citizenship is that it becomes possible for a foreign national to acquire a 100% right of ownership over real property purchased within the Kingdom. This arrangement is recognized by the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction for the Kingdom of Cambodia, and by the Royal Government.

Additional Note: Option 5

Honorary citizenship is recognized by the Royal Government of Cambodia as a legitimate means of purchasing real property within the Kingdom but it does not affect the foreigner’s original nationality or citizenship in any way.

Guest Kenny

You could follow this up.....

CHAPTER III

KHMER NATIONALITY/CITIZENSHIP BY MARRIAGE

Article 5:

A foreign man or woman that marries a Khmer wife or husband may demand Khmer nationality/citizenship only if such man and women have been living together for a period of three (3) years, after registration of a marriage certificate.

A formality and procedure for the demand of Khmer nationality/citizenship, shall be determined by anukret.

The grant of Khmer nationality/citizenship following the case of demand for it, shall be decided by kret.

Art

Who would be desparate enough for citizenship to get married !

N75544

lol but that means I will have to get married!!! lol

Art

If you do something good for the country you can get honorary citizenship. Angelina Jolie is an honorary citizen.

Edited by Art

Guest Kenny

I don't know. Sometimes you guys are just so damn hard to please.

N75544

lol yes... but that's why we love you.... lol ok so honorary citizenship..... hmmm increasing the birth rate of the country two fold?