Guest Kenny

As a rule, most kinds of Centrelink payments are portable, albeit with a small reduction in the amount you will receive.

As far as I know there is no reporting that can not be done via the internet.

Claiming the old age pension is a slightly different matter.

There are countries that have reciprocal agreements with Oz and you can go live in those countries and receive a full OA pension with no problems.

Cambodia however is not on the list.

Basics of claiming an Australian Old Age pension.

1. You must be in Australia to claim it.

2. You must be 65 or over when you claim it.

3. You must be a permanent resident two years prior to claiming it.

Note: not just a resident for tax purposes, you must reside in Oz.

This is what causes us world wanderers trouble.

If you have been out of the country for a substantial part of the two years leading up to your claim then you will possibly be classed as a returning resident, so you must declare that you intend to remain living in Australia and must remain in Australia for two years after your claim.

This will be checked.

You will be paid a full pension during that two years. However, if you go on holiday outside Oz then your pension will be stopped for the duration of that holiday.

The reason for the two years (they say) is to prove that you plan to remain a resident of Australia and didn't just return to grab the money and run.

If you should innocently mention that you plan to bugger off after the two years, your pension will be stopped.

In a nutshell, to receive the Australian Old Age pension you must be 65 or over, return to Oz full time and become a resident for ever.

Important Note: Centrelink and Immigration computers are linked.

From Centrelink: You can generally get Age Pension for the total period of absence however, after 13 weeks your rate may change. It may change again if you remain outside Australia for more than 26 weeks.

This above is after you have qualified the two years.

mollydooker

So Kenny are you suggesting that after spending the two years in Aust. it is not advisable to tell them your are leaving permanently ?? ... I was under the impression they would continue to pay the pension minus the supplement allowance.

Guest Kenny

So Kenny are you suggesting that after spending the two years in Aust. it is not advisable to tell them your are leaving permanently ?? ... I was under the impression they would continue to pay the pension minus the supplement allowance.

I'm not suggesting mate, it's how it is.

What you need to do is convince them that you are in fact a returned resident and plan to stay for ever after in Gods own land

(girt by sea).

If you can't convince them that you truly plan to stay then they deny you your pension.

EG: You tell them you're going to get the hell out of the country when the two years is up.

Note that if you have indeed lived in Oz as a resident for two years prior then this rule does not apply.

Note also that the have access to immigration records so it's pointless telling them you've been in Oz when you haven't.

mollydooker

I have lived in Phils for the last 20 years .. then returned here for the 2 years ..only 4 weeks left then I will get the hell outa here .. I cannot see any problem with the link !!

Guest Kenny

I have lived in Phils for the last 20 years .. then returned here for the 2 years ..only 4 weeks left then I will get the hell outa here .. I cannot see any problem with the link !!

Thanks for that Mollydooker

So you're saying we're on track with this item.?

Anything you can add would be appreciated.

I don't know why but there's quite a few guys who still contest this returned resident ruling, but like you, I'm living it.

mollydooker

Absolutely ...they will find out that you must do the 2 years residency ...before they will pay the pension overseas on a permanent basis ..I was also informed by the link that to obtain full pension remittance you must have worked and paid taxes for 25 years in Aust. ...otherwise it is adjusted according to your working life in Aust.

Guest Kenny

Spot on Mollydooker. And here's a little from the Centrelink site..

Pension payment rates while absent from Australia

If a pension is paid under a social security agreement, the rate outside Australia is governed by that agreement. For most agreements this means a proportional pension rate applies immediately after departure.

If a pension is payable long-term while absent from Australia it will generally be paid at a proportional rate. A proportional rate is paid based on a pensioner's 'Australian working life residence'.

'Australian working life residence' is the period of residence from age 16 to Age Pension age. A person need not have worked or paid tax during this period. All a person needs to have done is to have been an Australian resident.

A full means tested pension can be paid if a person has Australian working life residence of 25 years (300 months). A proportional pension can be paid for lesser periods.

For example, the rate of pension for a man who lived in Australia for 20 years from age 50 to age 70 would be based on Australian working life residence of 15 years (180 months) from age 50 to age 65 (Age Pension age). He could be paid 181/300ths of a means tested pension outside Australia - the extra month is added to all calculations.

ED:My underline. Kenny

TONY666

Great thread, Something I have always thought about. Thanks

jimmyboy

Hehe- they have it well locked down and it will get worse before my time. 9 years to go and i bet they move the goal post.

jimmyboy

Thanks ALP!

Friend of the workers.

I bet it does not apply at all to parliamentarians and civil servants who seem to get around 17% superannuation from what I can tell.

Edited by jimmyboy