Parrothead

Drug (urine) tests at border crossings from Cambodia to Thailand

Parrothead

It came to my attention yesterday, that drug tests are being administered, randomly, to people going into Thailand, from Cambodia, by land.

Apparently, from a later update, the setup, apparently, was a portable one (tents and portable tables). So, if you have drugs in your system, and are planning to go (by land) from Cambodia to Thailand, you have been warned.

Oh, the penalties, from what I understand, are around 10,000 THB (~$300 USD). If the "guilty" party does not pay up, they are threatened with a visit (READ: stay) to the local police station.

TorJay

Not something I am worried about. :)

Parrothead

Only for those who partake of the natural herb :leaf:

TorJay

Seems just like another cash grab to me.

The standard 10 panel piss test checks for opiates, cannabinoids, benzodiazapenes, cocaine, speed, barbituates, PCP, and I forget what else.

There are ligitimate medical uses for opiates, benzos, and barbs.

Have you ever take valium (a benzo) to help you sleep? Don't take one then for at least a week before you arrive in Thailand by land.

If you possess a medical marijuana licence for the U.S. or Canada, don't expect to be able to wave your card in Thailand hoping for immunity.

SnookyGirl

Paul,

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding - did you get the 300$ from what I told you happened to my friend almost 2 years ago when he was stopped in Ekamai Station? He was fined 300$ of the 350$ and no credit-card he carried...... I might be wrong but I would think it could get a lot more expensive depending on what you have available for them to take...

• Like 1

IFR Pilot

I have been told about incidents of Thai police showing up in "farang" bars and drug testing everyone on site. Not sure how common such incidents are but one is too many. I'm up to here with thailand after a pretty short visit tho so I'm not exactly a cheerleader.

TorJay

Only for those who partake of the natural herb :leaf:

They only check for cannabinoids?

Parrothead

No. I imagine they test for a wide range of drugs in your system.

Just another reason to not return to Thailand, for many visitors.

phuketrichard

Or fly in :-)

IFR Pilot

Im sure you can always "opt out" of the test for a fee.